PDA

View Full Version : co-sleeping siblings / sibling bed questions

filmgirl2911
12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
how did you introduce a sibling bed? how old were your littles? did they show any resistance? what if the younger was still nursing at night - did you wait she was nightweaned?

I love the pictures I see others share and the stories I hear.

I'm not sure my 3.8 y.o. would go for it? Should we just try it and see how they do?

Would love some thoughts :heart

houseforjoy
12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
how did you introduce a sibling bed? we moved L into H's room when she was a little younger then 2 and he was 3 1/2. there were 2 toddler beds in the room, but L always just climbed in with H and even when we got bunk beds they just always slept together. We put A into the room with H and L when A was 2 and l was 4 and H was 6. At first she slept on the bottom bunk by herself--i would lay with her until she fell asleep, but now i don't need to lay in there with her she just picks someone to sleep with and then they all go to bed--it is kinda musical beds in there they all switch who and where they sleep most nights. how old were your littles? did they show any resistance? A kept coming back into our bed in the middle of the night for a few months, but she never resisted going to sleep in the other bed for the most part (some really tired nights she would say she wants to sleep in mommy's bed, and then i would let her, but the next night she was always fine going back). what if the younger was still nursing at night - did you wait she was nightweaned? i sort of nightweaned and moved her into the "sibling room" at the same time. we night nursed for about 2 1/2 mos of her being in the sibling bed and over that period i gradually weaned her off of it.

I love the pictures I see others share and the stories I hear.

I'm not sure my 3.8 y.o. would go for it? Should we just try it and see how they do?

Would love some thoughts :heart

We love our sibling bed arrangement! it has worked really well for us :)

dancingWNC
12-05-2011, 01:21 AM
We put a toddler bed next to our king sized bed around the time dd1 was 16-18mos. She started laying down there for a nap, with me laying on the big bed next to her (sometimes holding hands) until she was asleep; we also started transferring her into it at night after she was asleep. This got her used to knowing it was her sleeping space. Although, she was welcome back in bed if she woke and asked.
#2 slept in our bed till she was, oh, maybe 14-18 months. They had long been snuggling next to each other when I laid them down for naps (already asleep) next to each other, or often they would be snuggled together at night when big sister climbed into the "big bed" in the wee hours.

Later we upgraded to a twin bed next to our king bed. The two of them got used to sleeping together, so when they both started getting scooped into the toddler bed they weren't alarmed. They are 3 and 5 now, and have started climbing into their bed to go to sleep on their own sometimes. When dd3 is asleep on the "big bed" I lay down next to them, and snuggle them to sleep. If dd3 is awake and nursing down, I am not on their side of the bed, but visible. We play music and I lay there until they fall asleep (or I do, heehee) dd1 now sleeps through most of the time. Occasionally I wake to find one of them has climbed in to snuggle with Abba/Daddy at some point. :giggle

RainbowMummy
12-05-2011, 02:56 AM
our older two have just gone into their own room. they were on a queen mattress together right next to ours. we've bought them a double bed with a single bunk up top (long term view in mind). They are 3.5 years & nearly 6 years old & LOVE it. 3 months ago my 3 year old wouldn't have been ready but now that she is & the addition of the excitement of getting a new bed just for them she loves it. I've also showed them both that I have a quilt at the bottom of our bed so that if they need us in the middle of the night, I'll set the quilt up for them & they can sleep right near us whenever they want. Once they both came in about 2am but other that they've been happy in their own bed. we have blue Christmas icicle lights in their room as night lights too. I found that great when night feeding my newborn so the girls are used to that & have that in their room too now.