PDA

View Full Version : If your teenager received a gift...

hey mommy
11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
A REALLY nice gift from their grandparents, would they say thank-you, or at least acknowledge they received the gift. I don't mean a thank-you card, I'm just talking about a phone call or text.

Would your teenager do that? Would you have to remind them or would they do it on their own?

ETA: child in question just turned 16 and the present was mailed.

Sparrow
11-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I would hope that my teenager would do it unprompted.... and if they didn't I'd give them a poke.

I think at that age they should know to. I did :shrug

allisonintx
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

If the grandparent was right there, and they were opening gifts, then yes, the child would remember. If the present came in the mail, a prompt would be necessary. :yes

eoconnel
11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Since thank you notes were drilled into me and I am doing the same for my dc I say by 9th grade.

Teribear
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Without prompting I don't always remember to call and say thank you...so I would be prompting.

RosalieMarie
11-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I would have needed prompting. :shifty My Mom still prompts me sometimes. :bag

tangozulu
11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

If the grandparent was right there, and they were opening gifts, then yes, the child would remember. If the present came in the mail, a prompt would be necessary. :yes

I agree, and this is true of my 18 year old..

She is thankful, but doesn't always think to go to the sender right away when they are not there. She's gotten better...due to consistent prompting from me.

ArmsOfLove
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
my teenager would send a card if it was expected by the sender of the gift, or give a phone call if a card were not necessary. I wouldn't have to remind him unless it was the card. But he has autism :shrug3 My dd would need the slightest of reminders and she's almost 12. I imagine by 16 she won't even need that.