PDA

View Full Version : What to Do When There is A Mum with PPD out there?

Daria_Aleksandrovna
11-01-2011, 08:26 AM
There is a mum at our church - I should have realised earlier that she's having PPD as she did talk about finding life with two kids - DS1(nearly 3) and DS2 (8 months old) challenging...now has just admitted she's been down with moderate depression since her DC2 was born and struggled being cooped up with two kids (DS1 being challenging 2 year old) every day.

I know that just regular company can cheer anyone up, but me keeping her company more frequently is not really an option, since she lives at end of town and we are not that particularly close yet. And I know she spends time with other mums from our church. Her husband is lawyer who works long unpredictable hours.

Ideas to lighten life a bit?
- one meal every week?
- invite her over to have both of our boys being babysat by our babysitter?

Is there anything nice people have done for you when you had PPD?

Earthmummy07
11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
No ideas but I love that you're wanting to help :heart

backtobasicsmum
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I think that is is awesome you are aware of the situation AND want to help. PPD can be so different for each person. But, I know that usually *any* offer of help is lovely.

A meal brought once a week for a while with a lovely note? :tu
Inviting her over? :tu (though, from personal experience, depending on how severe her depression is, that might be too overwhelming)
Just a quick phone call to check in? :tu

And you know, after you have had the chance to serve her in those ways a few times, you might try asking her what kind of support she would really appreciate. If she feels that you are taking her depression seriously and are willing to actually *do* something for her, she might open up more and tell you the kinds of things she would appreciate the most.

Niphredil
11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I think bringing a meal and offering to watch her kids for an hour or so while she gets to do something nice for herself - even shower and do her hair in peace - would be a break she could look forward to. Sometimes knowing you have to be all the things for all the people with no break in sight seems so hopeless.