PDA

View Full Version : bamboo

WildFlower
11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
can anyone suggest some bamboo inserts/doublers to me? I am thinking of trying bamboo inserts in my BG covers at night. It's either that or try fleece covers over sposie for night, and I'd still be spending extra money on sposies that route. So I am looking into bamboo inserts. The only ones that look decent that I've seen online are Applecheeks doublers/inserts on Kelly's Closet. I also saw Wickeez but they had some sort of stay dry stuff in the middle. I really want stick with bamboo/fleece, something that won't hold stink as bad as non-natural fibers.

Any suggestions on other brands?

GlobalMama
11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi there. What's the reason? Stay dry or leaking? All of the inserts or liners that are labeled "stay-dry" are polyester fleece. Bamboo is great, but can get the stinkies really easily depending on the type of water you have.

passthemanna
11-05-2011, 09:19 PM
we have hard water and I found that bamboo retained stink worse than any of my cotton diapers :sick

GlobalMama
11-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Yeah, there you go. I couldn't exactly remember the water conditions that led to this. thanks Teri :)

WildFlower
11-06-2011, 07:06 AM
I was looking into bamboo because we use sposies at night since DD pees so much. She leaks out of a sposie sometimes, so I can't imagine trying to use cloth at night, if sposies leak. My sister uses BG diapers , as do I and she was having the same issues so she switched to sposies for the night. Her boy is 2 weeks younger than DD and he leaks out of his diapers in the daytime, despite changing him more often. So she started putting 2 inserts in (stay dry microfiber) I was thinking maybe if I used a bamboo insert or a few of them, I could use them at night instead of sposies, or maybe as a booster during the day when we go out or something.

I do have stink issues with my microfiber because of the toploader, so having something that gets stinky easy was no my idea of fun..:-/

GlobalMama
11-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Have you ever tried prefolds and wool? I know it seems out there but prefolds are really absorbent. I have a super-pee'er too. A big reason for leaking with the pocket diapers is that they don't form a good seal around the legs so when they are laying down the pee just goes right out the side. Wool is good because it's a good barrier if any leaks do happen.

I use flats actually. But, when I use prefolds upon occasion, I do a prefold with a prefold doubler (green mountain diapers makes a doubler that is the same thickness as a prefold) and a wool soaker. Prefolds or flats with wool has been bullet proof for me.

Even if you don't want to do prefolds, a good pair of wool soakers might be a good idea to go over whatever you do decide to use, as a back-up. As for sposies leaking, I found that sposies are oddly sized, especially at night. sometimes you have to go up a size if you still want to use sposies at night. Also, when you are (over) stuffing a diaper for night time, sometimes you have to readjust your settings a little, usually bigger.

Hope this helps!

Oh and PS- where is she leaking? Out the sides or out the top or just all over?

WildFlower
11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
thank you for the info! very helpful :)

She is leaking out the legs usually, so probably like you said, where it kind of gapes when she sits or lays.

Have you had any trouble with prefolds causing redness or irritation from the wetness being against their skin all night long? I was kind of worried about that. Where is the best place to get wool soakers?

passthemanna
11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organicwool/DisanaDiaperCovers.html

these are really nice & thick (thicker than the ones I've knitted). also very soft. I think this store has about the best deal.

GlobalMama
11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Never had a problem with prefolds and a rash. However, they are not stay dry. Most LOs don't care as much as we do about stay dry, but I will warn you as it's a bit of a shock in the morning when it's so wet, especially if you're used to sposies or other super absorbent materials. I second the link for the wool. I love my Disana, though I do knit my own :)

abh5e8
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
any suggestions for wool covers in the day? i would love to find a good wrap. we have used BG OS pockets for years (on the 3rd child) but ds2 is more sensitive, and i have a huge box of GM organic prefolds i would like to try...but i would prefer some wool covers :)

pastelsummer
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I found some lil dripz bamboo overnight pocket diapers on affordableclothdiaper.com they are less than tenn bucks a diaper and they work wonders and came with 2 liners per diaper. With my dd i just need to use one so far i tried both but didnt need the extra

GlobalMama
11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
you can do a close fitting wool soaker under pants, we do it all the time. Like the disana for example. :) If you're still looking for other ideas, Kawaii overnight heavy wetter is a dream for a lot of people