PDA

View Full Version : baby doll suggestions

WildFlower
10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I am looking for a baby doll that is realistic looking but has a soft body (plastic head and arms/legs) Something CUTE , not weird, alienish,un-realistic. But it needs to just be a DOLL that does NOT DO anything!

DD spied the cutest doll at toys R Us and I got it for her, but then when opening the box, I realized this doll is supposed to babble and make kissing sounds. The sounds that are supposed to be babbling sound like a rooster!!:hunh:giggle I really don't think a baby doll needs to "do" anything and don't want one that makes sounds. Everything else I have seen looks unnatural, ugly or has a hard body.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

allisonlindberg
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I am a big fan of the American Girl Bitty Baby. She has plastic head, arms and legs with a fabric body. Her clothes are super cute and she comes in several skin/hair/eye color combos. The accessories are also very cute. The bottle looks more like a sippy cup to me (very tiny nipple part), so I just call it her drink instead of trying to tell my daughter that we don't give bottles, we nurse our babies...

Not cheap (around $40), but we got it for our DD for Christmas last year.

I :heart Bitty!

PrincessAnika
10-17-2011, 07:28 PM
was going to suggest bitty baby too. might be able to find one on ebay cheaper....

kimberly569
10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Can you just take the batteries out of the Toys R us doll so it doesn't make noise?

cheri
10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I have seen dolls at both Target and Walmart that sound like what you describe.

We also have a bitty baby.

We also have a baby with a realistic looking plastic body and my girls both love that one because they like to take the clothes off and give it baths, change diapers, etc. It doesn't do anything, either.

cro
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I got dd a Corolle (http://us.corolle.com/products/result) doll for her 1st birthday and of all the dolls she has, this is her favorite. It's just the right size for toddler arms, it has a little weight to it, and it smells like vanilla :hearts (not too much, and I'm one who's quite sensitive to smells). The only downside is that the fabric body has worn thru at the point where it attaches to the plastic body parts (at the legs on one doll; at the neck on another). When I contacted Corolle customer service about this, they sent a replacement doll for free - no questions asked, no return needed. :rockon

milkmommy
10-17-2011, 08:31 PM
I got dd a Corolle (http://us.corolle.com/products/result) doll for her 1st birthday and of all the dolls she has, this is her favorite. It's just the right size for toddler arms, it has a little weight to it, and it smells like vanilla :hearts (not too much, and I'm one who's quite sensitive to smells).
Margaret loves her Corolle doll :yes

gentlemommy
10-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I :heart Corolle dolls too. Dd used to have a Bitty baby as well, which was nice but I much prefer the Corolle dolls. They seem to be better quality and are softer/more malleable, if that makes sense. I think they are sized much better for toddlers as well.

sprout
10-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I have three dds and the corolle by far is the fav.

to be fair and honest though, we have never tried a bitty. the corolle was in our price range.

everydaygrace
10-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm looking for a baby doll for ds too. We would like a darker skinned baby, I think. And trying to decide if it matters to me if it's a girl/boy/unknown.

Heather Micaela
10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
We have both Corolle and AG Bitty Baby here :yes

staceylayne
10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Another vote for Corolle dolls here! (We have not tried a bitty baby though.)

I wanted to find DD a nice, special doll she could enjoy for years instead of having a dozen cheapie dolls. After looking around a lot, chose a Corolle - this (http://us.corolle.com/products/Suce-Pouce-Pink-Striped) one (but in a cuter outfit). I like the size, weight, the scent, that the baby can "stuck her fum" (translation: suck her thumb) just like my DD does, closes her eyes when laid down and she doesn't make any noises or eat or pee. :tu And she isn't scary looking. There are some seriously scary looking baby dolls out there. :shiver

I did get the slightly larger size (14 in versus 12 in) because my DD is a big girl and I didn't want her to outgrow this doll in a year or two. Since I shopped online and haven't held the smaller doll, I'm not sure if my concern was valid or not. Buy the one we chose hasn't proven to be too large for her to carry everywhere.

WildFlower
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
thanks for the baby doll suggestions! I hadn't thought of the bitty baby. I looked at the carolle dolls and those are really cute! I love the accessories too. I am thinking of getting her the set with the sippy cup and spoon, plate/bib for christmas. I was going to take her doll back to Toys R Us since she didn't seem to be attached to it anyway. But I changed my mind...:O I went into the bathroom yesterday and laid her baby doll down on the floor to occupy her and then I looked around the corner to check on her and she was hugging and patting her doll!!:) I had showed her how to hug and pat her bear and she had started doing it , thinking it was a game, but this is the first time I've seen her act affectionate toward something un-prompted!! I think she REALLY likes her doll. So I don't have the heart to take it back now. I took the batteries out. It had this big plastic box in it's fabric body . But last night i took out the screws and took the box out and the wires. I am going to sew up the back today after she goes down for nap. She'll never know it was supposed to make sounds. The sounds truely were horrible!!:giggle

allisonlindberg
10-18-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm looking for a baby doll for ds too. We would like a darker skinned baby, I think. And trying to decide if it matters to me if it's a girl/boy/unknown.

Bitty Baby only comes as a girl. They have Bitty Twins that you can get as 2 girls, 1 boy/1 girl or 2 boys. The twins are like toddler-they have hair, so they aren't an actual "baby" doll.

I tried looking all over creation for a boy baby doll, and didn't have any luck. I ended up getting a newborn Cabbage Patch doll that was a boy (I wanted a boy with blond hair/bald and blue eyes since I was pregnant with a son and the doll was for my toddler son to practice with).

mommy9994
10-18-2011, 11:40 AM
I like the dolls that are suggested :) my dds LOVE Molly P. Originals. both of my older girls (4 and 8) have this doll http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Beary+Good+Friends+-+Wendi+with+Daisy+Heart+Bear/part_number=18081D/588.0.1.1.54037.0.0.0.0?pp=8&

Bekah has the dark skinned version (may only be able to find that one on ebay now) and Aliana has the caucasian version. They like that 1. it's a "pretty" bald head (per Aliana) 2. smells like baby powder 3. wears newborn size clothes 4. has a bean bag in the bottom that makes her feel like a real baby.

They wouldn't have any other dolly

mom2g2b
10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
My oldest dd kept her Bitty Baby. My 3 year old loves to play with her so I'll probably get her one for Christmas this year. The Corolle doll looks nice too though.

Heather Micaela
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
bitty baby may technically be a girl, but it also fits the Bitty Twin boy clothes :yes

Macky
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Are there any soft-bodies dolls that are able to sit unsupported (wired on the inside or something, I'm not sure)? Our girls play mostly with two Berenguer dolls because they can be posed and can sit. Eliot gets frustrated trying to make softbodied dolls or stuffies sit. A soft-bodied doll would be so much easier to dress and undress when she's better at doing so, though. :think

staceylayne
10-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Are there any soft-bodies dolls that are able to sit unsupported (wired on the inside or something, I'm not sure)? Our girls play mostly with two Berenguer dolls because they can be posed and can sit. Eliot gets frustrated trying to make softbodied dolls or stuffies sit. A soft-bodied doll would be so much easier to dress and undress when she's better at doing so, though. :think

Our doll (Corrolle) has a soft body, but it is weighted in such a way it can sit up. The head, arms and legs are hard plastic, but can't be posed on the way an all plastic doll can.

Macky
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Ahhh :)

mommy9994
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
the Molly P. dolls are able to sit unsupported