PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me set up chore packs!!!

Soliloquy
10-12-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm just horrible at this kind of thing.

In my own childhood, we didn't have regular chores. My mom nagged and shamed me into grudgingly doing chores. There were chores that I did one my own for my own benefit--I liked my room pretty tidy, but I hated certain chores that my mom wanted me to do. My mom wasn't big on teaching routine at all, so it was pretty haphazard.

I'm finding myself being haphazrd WRT my kids and chores. They love cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, cleaning windows. They hate picking up toys. :rolleyes They love cooking and doing dishes. I don't like them doing dishes because they play more than they wash and I end up wiping up puddles. But I'm not consistent in having them do chores. I'll do really well for a few days, then I fall back into doing it all myself because I'm so much more efficient at it.

I like the idea of chore packs. But I don't know how to start.

They would mostly be for my 7 yo and 5 yo but my 3 yo would want one because she wants what they have.

I need direction on making the chore packs, teaching the chores, being consistent.

milkmommy
10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I tried a chaore pack for a while but found it too rigid and never something we followed through with.. What works for me and C are stuff to do weekly lists..
both C and I have one cause it helps her to see that mom too has plans and "chores" :giggle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Ceciliasmom/100_2072.jpg

a sample week of my list
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Ceciliasmom/100_2073-1.jpg
Cecilias
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Ceciliasmom/100_2074-1.jpg

It lists both her daily chores and her school work for the week she checks things off (or we) do as they are done.. Some things are daily she is expected to keep her room tidy daily which includes all alundry in her basket toys picked up and walk ways free bed made and trash taken out.. she is always incharge of simple chores such as setting the table assuming both she is eatting with us (ie not at a friends house) or we are eatting together..
other chores
tidying bathroom I deep clean both about 2xs a week Cecilia is expected to keep hers tidy between.. so counters and floor clear of clutter toys in basket and stores trash in can removed and counters sink wiped down..

Family laundry 2xs week she is expected to help get all the laundry from the hosue sort the clothes and start loads as needed she is also expected to help me fold hang and put away the loads as they come out..

loading/unloading dishwaher and cleaning countertops.. What it says helping her stack the dishes and helping unload a clean one she nees more help unloading than loading because soem shelves are too high for her still. dishes also includes washing down the kitchen counters and stove

sweeping and mopping kitchen self explantory (and its a wet jet swifter)

vaccuming living area and hall..

right now that pretty much what I have her do were transationing from It great to have a little helped no matter how good/bad a job you actually do to.. you need to do it right and complete or your just creating more work so we are practicing doing complete and accurate jobs and not jsut how many.

Shes gets to pick a little "prize" at the end of a successful week the prize can be a little toy (she loves little pet shop ones) or a special outting (an icecream jsut with mommy) or money (good for up to $3) its a blind draw which makes it kinda fun and appeals to her gifts LL.

Deanna

tree_hugger
10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
:popcorn :heart

ShangriLewis
10-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I use chorepacks. I love how they work with multiple children. No charts to hang up. i suggest scheduling a time to either do their packs with them or to make sure they did them correctly. Also, make a place to put them away because they loose them:giggle

I started with their mornings. So, their hygiene and chores to go along with it. Making the beds, swishing the toilet, wipe the bath sink, change the towel, put dirty laundry in the laundry room, feed pets, take vitamins. After a week or two you can add some afternoon chores.

milkmommy
10-13-2011, 01:15 AM
:yes I think having just one kid old enough for chores makes the pack for mee too much.. However liek others said we include things like hygine at least those things she needs reminders on and school work.. It helps to keepa flow going and really helps cut down on the arguments.

jandjmommy
10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
:) I thought the chore packs were for your own schedule (like Sidetracked Home Executives/Flylady)!
It sounds like you're already off to a great start with the kids liking to help with so many of the household duties!
You pointed out that housekeeping was haphazard when you were little, and that has continued to a point with you as an adult. It is extremely hard to do, and something I am still working on myself, but I think that the best foundation you can lay for the kids doing chores is to be consistent with housekeeping.
The reasons I want the kids to do chores at all:
1. I truly need their cooperation to get everything done. When they were babies/toddlers, their messes were limited to diapers, laundry, and wiping under the table after each meal. Now together they own at least half the items in the house, and I just can't be responsible for the upkeep of four people (including DH)!
2. My job is to prepare them for adult life. I must give them the tools to successfully manage their own homes when they go off on their own as adults.

So for their chore packs, you could have a set for you, and a set for them, and work together daily to accomplish the family's goal of maintaining and managing the home as efficiently as possible so there is more time for all of the other wonderful things you all want to do.

I think it's better to master one skill at a time rather than do several chores poorly. Maybe a chore of the week (or month) system? For the dishes example, stay with them as they do the dishes and explain in detail how to: put a towel on the floor under the counter to catch drips/splashes, keep their wrists over the sink as they wash to avoid drips, look around at the table and counters and notice items that are still out or crumbs that need to be wiped off, fill a pan for soaking, shut all the drawers and cabinets before leaving the kitchen, load the dishwasher, fill the soap dispenser, take out the kitchen trash, sanitize the trashcan, put out a clean towel... So many steps we take for granted when we say "do the dishes"! It may take dozens of training sessions, but hey, you eat at least 3 times a day, so after just a few weeks of lessons you may get to the point where you can simply say "Please do the dishes!" and expect a great result.

Giving the kids the opportunity to feel the satisfaction of a job well done is a more important lesson (to me) than teaching [by default] the quickest way to get a checklist filled out.

Soliloquy
10-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Heather, what do you use for the actual packs? Index cards? What do you keep them in/bind them with?

I can completely see my kids losing them. :giggle. It will take a huge amount of training and consistency on my part to turn this into a habit. Deep breath.

Aerynne
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I tried to do chore packs but it was hard because it required work on my part each day to get the cards in there. Right now I just tell them what they have to do, and they know there is a schedule to it so they don't balk as much.

Toys get cleaned up before each meal. That is what gives them an incentive.

Close2MyHeart
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
I tried doing chore packs too. I have the book and the actual packs. It was *so* much work for ME. :sigh I now have a dry erase weekly calendar for each child on the fridge. I write out their chores for the week on Mondays.

Quiteria
10-13-2011, 08:09 AM
subbing, b/c I could written your post

I am honestly too phobic to sit and read the longer replies this morning...coming back to it when I'm able to take a deep breath and make myself be positive...going to learn!!!!

houseforjoy
10-13-2011, 08:18 AM
:popcorn

hey mommy
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
What are chore packs?

Close2MyHeart
10-13-2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.chorepacks.com/

They are pretty neat & I think the Duggars use them. :yes I just found it to be more work for me than just writing their chores out once/week.

Soliloquy
10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
To clarify, I am very consistent and efficient at housekeeping. I just slip back into doing it all myself because I'd rather get it done and go play. I don't want my kids growing up like my DH did, not having any household responsibilities.

I was thinking of making cards, trying them for a few weeks, and once we got them tweaked,laminating them. :think. I'll look at the link.

hey mommy
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
I like the chore cards. That's a good idea. I'll have to look into that.

CCmomma
10-14-2011, 06:02 AM
I am reading this thread with a lot of interest b/c I am thinking about starting a Must Do list for my DD. She is 3 1/2 and I think she could easily handle a few daily chores and a weekly chore as well. I have been trying to organize my ideas on this and I keep feeling overwhelmed. I am going to check out the chore pack link.

mokamoto
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Heather, what do you use for the actual packs? Index cards? What do you keep them in/bind them with?

I can completely see my kids losing them. :giggle. It will take a huge amount of training and consistency on my part to turn this into a habit. Deep breath.

Exactly the same for me, down to the questions you are asking! :popcorn Thanks for posting this thread!!! :heart

Aerynne
10-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Please note that if you do not own the book Managers of their Chores, downloading the cards is stealing-it's designed for people who have the book. It says so on the website.

Soliloquy
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for mentioning that. I was planning to make my own.

Close2MyHeart
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Can you download w/out owning the book? I think there's a code you put in that comes w /the book IIRC.

ShangriLewis
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I have the ones from the maxwell's. I think you could buy something similar from an office supply store. They make my life easier. My kids have one set. They are marked at the bottom with morning and afternoon. They stop when they are done with morning, hang them up. Then they start again. When they are finished I can take the cards and go around and check them. I only use the worksheets the first time. I loved the book. It helped me look at housework and chores as something to serve and care for others. My family gave chores a horrible feeling. We were angry alone and yelling. I revert back to that and it is ugly. I reread a chapter when I am feeling run down.

Soliloquy
10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I have the ones from the maxwell's. I think you could buy something similar from an office supply store. They make my life easier. My kids have one set. They are marked at the bottom with morning and afternoon. They stop when they are done with morning, hang them up. Then they start again. When they are finished I can take the cards and go around and check them. I only use the worksheets the first time. I loved the book. It helped me look at housework and chores as something to serve and care for others. My family gave chores a horrible feeling. We were angry alone and yelling. I revert back to that and it is ugly. I reread a chapter when I am feeling run down.

So I take it you recommend the book? I would prefer not to buy anything but if it's really worth it I will.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Can you download w/out owning the book? I think there's a code you put in that comes w /the book IIRC.

I think so too. There is a padlock symbol by the downloads.

ShangriLewis
10-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I do recommend it if you feel angry about chores and what to look at chores and serving as a good thing.

But, honestly you can set them up your self. Just use some cardstock and badges from an office supply store.

Start with what you want done in the morning. Brush teeth, make beds...
slowly start adding cards when you see something they can do.
kids are great for wiping cabinets and tables, wiping the toilet with a baby wipe etc..

make a place to hang them. I have a ribbon inside a kitchen cabinet.

kimberly569
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I like the idea of chore packs. Brynn has a chore chart, but she gets sidetracked and forgets easily. If she had a packet to carry, she may be more likely to follow through.

Soliloquy
10-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I think we're going to start with a chart for little daily chores, hygiene, etc and I'll let them pick a card for their big chore. I'll make a card for each big chore (dusting, mirrors, sinks, doors, vacuuming, mopping) and they won't know which one they'll get each day. Or maybe we'll have a set rotation. :think I am trying really hard to keep the first month really positive and consistent, all chores that they enjoy.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Part of my issue is we can't have a set time for chores because of they activities the kits are in. And some days I am literally multi-tasking in the kitchen all day. They are starting to grasp that if I have to be intervening with them all the time I won't be able to make the foods they want and we'll end up with scrambled eggs for dinner-, They hate it when that happens.

blessedagain
10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
This thread has so many great ideas! I'd love the kids to do little things to help with the house (or even make less mess) but so far rewards charts / chucking excess toys hasn't worked.

Codi
10-17-2011, 11:22 PM
:cup

curlymopmom
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM

I have been considering switching to chore packs. I had a good system going for a while (I should take a picture), but haven't gotten it up and running again. :doh

hkristine
10-19-2011, 10:05 PM
What kind of chores should a 4 yr old be doing? LD picks up his toys and is in charge of personal hygiene (with some "checking" by me), but I don't think he's at all ready for the dishes.

Codi
10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
A few things I have seen that may be helpful to some in this thread:

http://pinterest.com/pin/265354248/

http://pinterest.com/pin/91414608/

http://pinterest.com/pin/136552693/

http://pinterest.com/pin/178132312/

And another one I thought I had a pin for was chores on popsicle sticks and two cans. One was the to-do can, one was the done can. Kid's moved the popsicle sticks as they finished their chores.
ETA: here is one way to do it: http://pinterest.com/pin/199349712/

And lastly, this is good for older kids: http://pinterest.com/pin/273460661/

:shifty I have lot's of ideas...but haven't picked a fave way to do it yet. :giggle

ShangriLewis
10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
What kind of chores should a 4 yr old be doing? LD picks up his toys and is in charge of personal hygiene (with some "checking" by me), but I don't think he's at all ready for the dishes.

dusting with a fun dusting wand
wiping walls with a wet cloth
wiping down the toilet with a baby wipe...please start them early. I know about boys and toilets!
wiping kitchen cabinets or seats at the table
folding washclothes
matching socks
arranging a book shelf
putting away their own toys
help making the bed...my 8yo still loves to fluff my pillows and always helps me make my bed. I hate making the bed so it is fun to have a buddy.

Remeber they don't have to actually be cleaning. They are learning. If you have a bunch of kids it helps to have a little one clean up the wall in a vusy hallway or wipe down cabinets. You don't notice it with a small family. But, bam it builds up fast around here.

houseforjoy
10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
hows it going :popcorn

Soliloquy
11-05-2011, 08:27 PM
It's going very well but we're still in the honeymoon phase. I have charts for them, but I've done this before and after a period of time they go right back to refusing and complaining and then I'm in a quandary. So we'll see. I'm tentatively hopeful. They both want to earn money.

When I just had the two kids I could have them just help me. But now I actually need their help. I have more than I can do in a day.

chasingbutterflies
11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
:popcorn I need to start something like this with my 5 and almost 4yo.

euromom
11-05-2011, 09:06 PM
:cup I really need to organize chores for my kids too and am clueless where to begin. I am haphazard also when it comes to this. There are things they really like to help with. ds loves putting laundry in the wash machine for example. It's not something that happens daily as I'm not good at enforcing a routine of chores. I've been like you, Lisa, in feeling that it's quicker/easier if I do most of the stuff, but now it's getting to the point where I could really use their help more consistently. :popcorn

tree_hugger
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Still :popcorn
Posted via Mobile Device

gentlemommy
11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
A few things I have seen that may be helpful to some in this thread:

http://pinterest.com/pin/265354248/

http://pinterest.com/pin/91414608/

http://pinterest.com/pin/136552693/

http://pinterest.com/pin/178132312/

And another one I thought I had a pin for was chores on popsicle sticks and two cans. One was the to-do can, one was the done can. Kid's moved the popsicle sticks as they finished their chores.
ETA: here is one way to do it: http://pinterest.com/pin/199349712/

And lastly, this is good for older kids: http://pinterest.com/pin/273460661/

:shifty I have lot's of ideas...but haven't picked a fave way to do it yet. :giggle

Thank you for sharing these! :heart I think the second one will work really well for us. :rockon

GentleMomof4
11-05-2011, 10:33 PM

TrinMama
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I want to come back to this for ideas.

mipennsn
11-06-2011, 03:26 AM

Especially with baby coming and dh's health issues we need to get chores going in this house.

sweetpeas
11-06-2011, 08:03 AM
I have the book, but lost the original chore packs so went to staples and got badge holders, I also (even before I lost the original chore packs), found that for my kids, it works better to get the clips that have a retractible elastic cord, so they can pull the chore pack away from their body to see what's in it. I have an excel "master chart" that tells me what each kid does each day, we do morning chores (the big girls don't need chore charts for that, but I have them use them so Lina (2 1/2) can "be like the big girls" and use hers (her chore is to put away the silverware, out of the dishwasher, and help whichever sister is setting/clearing the table). Then we have afternoon chores that start with fixing lunch/setting table and include a couple chores that are different each day. And then in the evening we do some straightening up, fix supper, and put laundry away.

Ashlyn got annoyed because the cards sometimes fell out so I modified hers and write all that day's chores on an index card that she can carry with her, when I get time I want to write out (or print out) index cards for the whole week, laminate them, and then hole punch the top so it can hang from the badge holder clip thingy.

The advantage I see to chore packs of some sort vs a chore chart on a white board or the fridge is that often there's a clump of chores that are upstairs and my girls don't like having to go back and forth to see what's next AND aren't good at just remembering, so being able to carry the chores with them is helpful, if your chores all take place in/near the kitchen (for example) then a chart on the fridge/wall is going to work fine and be less work for mom.