PDA

View Full Version : 50% of what we know we know by five

rjy9343
10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I have heard this statistic more than once. But I cannot find any studies or anything else that mentions it. Is this something that is true? If so does anyone have any ideas where I can verify it? I really don't want to cite false stats.

ThreeKids
10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
It would depend on how you look at "what we know". Moving your hands to catch a ball could be called an analog version of solving a system of differential equations. Or I could say you don't know how to solve a system of differential equations until you can do it with computers.

jujubnme
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
:think I haven't heard that statistic, but it made me think about the book All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. :shifty I don't think that's what you were after. :giggle

rjy9343
10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
It would depend on how you look at "what we know". Moving your hands to catch a ball could be called an analog version of solving a system of differential equations. Or I could say you don't know how to solve a system of differential equations until you can do it with computers.
I think it is more that out speech patterns, attitudes, relationships, values and the way we view the world around us that is formed. I guess what we think we know would be a better way of putting it.

Little Forest
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I think that stat is just not true.
Posted via Mobile Device

SweetCaroline
10-12-2011, 05:01 AM
i think its actually 80% of your personality is set by the time you're 5. cant think of where i've read that..:think

oh my goodness..it was Freud. :crazy

Development of Personality
"Freud was the first theoretical focusing on personality, and emphasizes the importance of the role of infancy and early in the formation of character. Freud believes the basic personality is formed at the age of 5 years, and personality development after age 5 years was largely an elaboration of the basic structure of earlier. Technique of psychoanalysis to explore the lives of patients, among others, by returning them to the experience of childhood.""

HomeWithMyBabies
10-12-2011, 05:13 AM
I've never heard that one. It sounds like one of those common misconceptions, like 'we only use ten percent of our brain.'

mariposa
10-12-2011, 06:33 AM
There was a program started up in the Minneapolis area called Success By Six. If it still exists, then they would probably have some good info and stats.

ETA: I heard about it when I worked with United Way of SA & BC. It looks like it's been picked up by a lot of local United Ways.

GraceAlone
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Doman says that 80% of brain growth occurs in the first five years of life. By the age of six, the process of brain growth is virtually complete. During the years between six and sixty there is less brain growth than in the single year between the ages of five and six! I'm inclined to believe him as he is rather an expert in his field.

rjy9343
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Doman says that 80% of brain growth occurs in the first five years of life. By the age of six, the process of brain growth is virtually complete. During the years between six and sixty there is less brain growth than in the single year between the ages of five and six! I'm inclined to believe him as he is rather an expert in his field.
I am sorry to display my ignorance, but who is Doman? :blush Everything you said is sounds like what I have heard, so that must be who is getting quoted.

GraceAlone
10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I am sorry to display my ignorance, but who is Doman? :blush Everything you said is sounds like what I have heard, so that must be who is getting quoted.

Doman founded The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential in 1955 and is world-renowned for his work with brain-injured children. :)