PDA

View Full Version : restless sleep/waking alot=dietary?

WildFlower
10-09-2011, 06:33 AM
I am wondering if this is possible a reaction to dairy in her diet ...can anyone tell me if that is possible or if this sounds more like something related to teething or something else?

Dd has been waking more often at night and is harder to settle. She used to settle pretty quickly nursing. Now it seems like she just thrashes around and cries and arches her back and tries to get away. She will eventually settle down and it doesn't take more than a few minutes still but she acts uncomfortable or something, yet still half asleep when this happens. When I bring her to bed with me, she seems to be doing this every 45 minutes or hour. Sometimes we'll get a few hours stretch without any wakings but then she'll cry out and I'll try to snuggle her close and nurse her but I'll have to flip her over to my other side before she'll settle down. Sometimes it's like a change in position helps. I can't figure out why this is happening. She is getting a couple of molars. But we've also started trying some dairy. I am trying to figure out if it might be related to the dairy in her diet, because it doesnt' seem to happen every night and we've only had sporadic dairy, not every day. Because it's not every night, it makes me wonder what is going on...

She hasn't had any other reactions to the dairy "yet" like eczema. Although she seems to "burp" more than before but I think she just swallows it instead of spitting up like she did when she was smaller. :sick

mountainash
10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I didn't catch Livy's dairy sensitivity until she was nine months because she never spit up and wasn't colicky. She didn't sleep great but she slept. She ended up coming down with an ear infection and when I gave her a little bit of yogurt to counter-act the anti-biotics she came down with another ear infection. I was amazed how much better her sleep became. And she stopped being so sniffly/congested all the time. It took a good two weeks for changes to take effect.

Codi
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I've definitely heard of (on here most likely) allergies causing night issues. Night waking, bed wetting, etc.

Im sure someone with more info will come along and help more but yes. I've definitely heard of it.

amyjoy
10-10-2011, 05:27 AM
It could be dairy. But molars can be really painful. Are you giving her anything to alleviate teething pain? I would try that first (natural or non-natural, whatever you prefer) and see if it makes a difference.

WildFlower
10-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I tried baby Advil last night and she slept MUCH better. She still woke a few times but was MUCH easier to settle and didn't cry or wake every hour. I slept much better! So..maybe it is the molars. She has been fussy in the day wanting ice chips and chewing on things..so I am wondering if it really is the molars. I think I am going to pay attention to what she does eat and see if there is any relation though.

Eesti
10-10-2011, 07:26 AM
It definetly could be dairy but if pain relievers help I would stick w/that for a bit.

Niphredil
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
It could be allergies.... and it could be molars. But also this age is pretty common for general discontent. My son is just weeks older than your DD and is doing the same. Very restless sleep, up and down needing to nurse a lot. I've been bouncing him in my sleep, even. During the day, too, he is unhappy. He wants up, he wants down, he just doesn't know what he wants. It can be really trying to go from the sweet little baby to the screaming banshee toddler. :yes (she reminds herself ;))