PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide, I've got to buy all new cloth or quit using it

AngelaVA
10-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't know why I can't make a decision on this. DD2 has been in cloth since she was a newborn. She 2 years 8 month now, she has some developmental delays that are going to affect her ability to potty train so she will be in diapers still for quite awhile. She can only do cotton diapers with wool covers, no PUL or fleece at all or sposies. The diapers I have for her have had over two years of hard use and they are utterly shot, I would need to spend about $200 to get what I need to keep CDing. I am no longer going to do cloth on outings so I will be spending a little each month on 'sposies either way but I think I would spend at about $50 a month more to use them full time (I have to use the chlorine free ones). I'm not factoring in the cost of washing cloth because I've never had much success at accurately calculating it. So less than 6 months of use would pay for the cloth diapers more or less.

I am so torn between the crunchy mama who is working so hard to do things natural and has all these fond memories of her cloth diapered bottom and enjoys cloth diapers and the tired mama who has two special needs kids and is spread way too thin and would love to think about one less chore to deal with several times a week.

mom24
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I did cloth, but I think in your situation I'd probably switch to disposables. At least for now. You sound like you need a break and you can always go back to them later.

greengirl19
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I agree, it seems like it's stressing you out a lot right now. Take a break and re-evaluate in a few months.

PinkPearlGirl
10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't know why I can't make a decision on this. DD2 has been in cloth since she was a newborn. She 2 years 8 month now, she has some developmental delays that are going to affect her ability to potty train so she will be in diapers still for quite awhile. She can only do cotton diapers with wool covers, no PUL or fleece at all or sposies. The diapers I have for her have had over two years of hard use and they are utterly shot, I would need to spend about $200 to get what I need to keep CDing. I am no longer going to do cloth on outings so I will be spending a little each month on 'sposies either way but I think I would spend at about $50 a month more to use them full time (I have to use the chlorine free ones). I'm not factoring in the cost of washing cloth because I've never had much success at accurately calculating it. So less than 6 months of use would pay for the cloth diapers more or less.

I am so torn between the crunchy mama who is working so hard to do things natural and has all these fond memories of her cloth diapered bottom and enjoys cloth diapers and the tired mama who has two special needs kids and is spread way too thin and would love to think about one less chore to deal with several times a week.

I'm not sure I have direct advice about what you should do, but I have learned since my DD was born that I'm too hard on myself when it comes to being a crunchy mama. I was feeling guilty if I did something "non-crunchy" or "non-natural parenting," when in reality I needed to cut myself a break and realize that I needed to do whatever worked for my DD and my situations. :heart

Barefoot Bookworm
10-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I would take the break. I just took almost a full year's break off from cloth diapering during my pregnancy and PP. I'm currently 5 weeks PP and still using sposies for DD2 and DS2.

chasingbutterflies
10-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I would totally take a break. $200 is a lot of money for something that stresses you out that much :hug2

pastelsummer
10-15-2011, 09:30 AM
My advice as i have BTDT is to take a break from cloth IF you can afford to buy the sposies. Then come back to the cloth question in about 3 months time and see how you feel. :hug

Rabbit
10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I stopped using cloth full time when my second was a toddler, and intended to go back with my third, and did for awhile, but washer trouble ended that. :hug2

Llee
10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Cloth when I feel like it, sposies otherwise. No guilt, no fear. And I bet there I someone here that can get you the cloth you need, hen you're ready.

MarynMunchkins
10-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I stopped using cloth when ALL of my kids are toddlers. After two, I'm done washing poop. :)

There's nothing wrong with giving it up. :hug

AngelaVA
10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I am taking a break right now, I"m kind of :sick on the sposies, I hate the smell and I just ran out of sposie wipes and I'm remember the inconvenient part RE running to the store but on the other hand my laundry is getting caught up and I feel a little bit less hopelessly behind so that's kind of nice.

Rabbit
10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't stand the smell of disposables, either, and I am having good luck with Kroger's diapers, and they're cheap. I get a big box of their green (rather than their yellow) brand right now, and pay only 16 cents per diaper for size 4. They are not perfumed, and their materials have the least smell I've found thus far. They don't aggravate my asthma!

Amyables
11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree. "Crunchy, but not crunchier than thou!" is one of the best phrases I have ever heard about NP :) (note: I heard it first on my friend Dionna's site, Code Name: Mama (http://www.codenamemama.com)) . . . I constantly realize that though I hold myself to a high standard of parenting. . . I need to be less self-critical and more self-aware. Do what is best for your family. Either will be a good decision.