PDA

View Full Version : need night time diaper help

WildFlower
10-06-2011, 06:16 AM
currently we are using sposies at night because, the few times I tried using my BG 4.0 at night they smelt like skunk/barn smell. It was aweful. Rather than dealing with that I just decided to use sposies at night. The diapers started smelling during the day too but after using bleach that all cleared up. Well, I really like the convenience of a sposie at night.

DD still pees ALOT at night and her sposie is so FULL in the morning. She nurses off and on during the night. The problem is... her sposies are starting to LEAK. Not during the night but in the morning. I "think" they are so full that when she sits up they squish out, OR when she pees in the morning, they are so full that it just runs out the side. I thought maybe she needed the next size up so I got size 5 but I think they really are a little big, cause I have to tape them really tight to stay on well. I wonder if the pee is just leaking out the leg when they are fell and she is sitting. This has happened several mornings now .

. I would love to just use cloth but am worried about the horrendous smell. Is there any way to keep night diapers from smelling? Also I have no idea at this point if they would hold all that she pees!!

any suggestions on using cloth without all the smell? And how many inserts would I need to keep her from leaking? Should I just buy night diapers?

melliethepooh
10-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Well. We use DryBees at night and they work well. You can always put more soakers in if they start to leak. I don't like that they're unnatural fibers, but they do stay dry and they're better than sposies.

gardenfreshmama
10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
I have clothed both my kids, but haven't found a solution to the disgusting night time smells. My dh would go sleep on the couch b/c the diaper smell disgusted him so much :giggle. Well, I guess I have found a solution- Huggies Overnights :shifty And even then, I'll put a Thirsties cover or a woolie over it.

Sundance
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
We do sposies, too. Cover over keeps away morning leaks for us.
:nak

Domina
10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
We use the Overnights sposies as well. :shifty

itzj
10-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Green acre designs semi fitted stuffed with 2 flats or prefolds AND a dancing bears fleece nighttime soaker. Nothing goes through it. I find flats wash better. And I rinse night diapers in the morning. If you do nothing else get the dancing bears cover. It's pricey but we've never had a leak since.

JenLovie
10-06-2011, 08:16 AM
DS was fine in cloth at night until about a month ago when he started leaking and the leak lead to him waking up. We use sposies at night because of it. I hate buying them, but I like to think of it as investing in my sleep since he tends to sleep better because he doesn't wake up from a leak.

WildFlower
10-06-2011, 09:05 AM
:think I forgot about using covers... I used a couple of covers on vacation over sposies to prevent poo blow outs. We didn't end up needing them though because the sposies worked fine without them since she'd started some solid foods.:giggle But I could try using a cover over her sposie for morning leaks. I can't stand the morning stink smell and I would rather spend the extra and use a sposie if they are going to stink. I would LIKE to use cloth to save money and be doing cloth 100% of the time, but unless they aren't going to stink I don't want to go there. I am stripping my diapers and then I might try cloth overnight and see if that helps. If not, maybe covers over a sposie will do the trick. They never leak at night, just in the morning!

JPeriod
10-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hijack. I'm having the morning leak problem too and just wondered about the mamas putting covers over the sposies. I have wool, does it really help? I guess I picture pee running out and not being forced back into the diaper by the wool because the outside of the sposie isn't absorbent. Not like using a cotton diaper. So where does the pee go, just into the wool? You haven't had issues with the wool getting too wet?

melliethepooh
10-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Wool is veeeeery absorbent. You also lanolize it to increase the impermeability in the first place. It works very well, actually.
Posted via Mobile Device

blondie
10-10-2011, 06:01 AM
We use big, squishy fitteds for overnight with woolies or a Thirsties cover. There is a bit of that barn-y smell, but it's gotten better since I've been using thicker, more absorbent fitteds.

ericaness
10-10-2011, 06:13 AM
when DS was still nursing a lot at night, not even a sposie would hold in leaks. we tried many different diaper options, and the only thing that has worked with no leaks ever has been a sustainable babyish fitted with a doubler folded in half placed in the wetzone. we have used wool or a thirsties cover, both work well. while the smell is still a strong pee smell in the morning, the natural fibers do not smell nearly as bad as the microfiber from BGs would smell. I cannot tolerate the smell of disposable diapers though. that perfumed smell makes me queasy even when they are fresh from the package.

JPeriod
10-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Wool is veeeeery absorbent. You also lanolize it to increase the impermeability in the first place. It works very well, actually.
Posted via Mobile Device

so are you saying I shouldn't lanolize since it will be over a sposie so it goes into the wool?

RosalieMarie
10-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I gave up. I spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the perfect night diaper with my first 2. They slept horribly and wanted to be changed several times no matter what. We went away for a weekend when I was pregnant with #3, and I said forget it we're buying disposables for the trip. N slept through the night for the first time ever. I kept the sposies on him at night when we got home, and he still slept through the night.

With G, once he was old enough that I felt he didn't need to be changed often at night I started with sposies. I'm not spending a ton of money again to try to find something that probably won't work. :no2 He doesn't sleep all night :haha but at least he's not waking up because he wants his diaper changed. I use the Huggies Overnights.

melliethepooh
10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
so are you saying I shouldn't lanolize since it will be over a sposie so it goes into the wool?

Hm, I know nothing of sposies. I think you'd still lanolize.
Posted via Mobile Device

PinkPearlGirl
10-15-2011, 12:30 AM
We use pockets at night and stuff them with bamboo inserts. They are super absorbent!