PDA

View Full Version : Is is possible to have breathability and a stay-dry feel?

WingsOfTheMorning
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
As I mentioned in my pajama post, DD2 has hard-to-control eczema and very senstive skin. She's growing out of her covers, so I'm looking at our options. :think

I like the idea of wool's breathability, especially for night, but the only way I know to do that is with a snappi'd prefold underneath.

I don't like the idea of that wet prefold against her skin all night. I know there are fleece liners, but I haven't seen any that would actually cover the whole surface of a snappi'd prefold.

Is there another way to do this that I don't know about? :) Or if I have to choose breathability or stay-dry feel, which have you found to be best for your kiddos with sensitive skin?

(I have a big stash of prefolds already that I'll keep using during the day, but I'm open to other options for nighttime.)

Peridot
09-21-2011, 12:45 PM
they have silk liners, too. This is one reason sometimes we did a sposie just at night.

blondie
09-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Can you buy some cheap fleece, and just cut it to the size of your prefolds ?

PinkPearlGirl
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
We use pocket diapers and find that they really pull moisture away. DD has sensitive skin so we use pockets overnight. The more you wash them the better they work.

Rishuu
09-23-2011, 10:01 PM
If you have basic sewing skills it shouldn't be to hard to top a couple of the prefolds with a wicking jersey. You can get something made especially for diaper making or just use an athletic wicking jersey and be sure to really wash it well before using it. It will wick moisture away from the skin and into the fabric behind it. I find it much faster and has a better stay dry feel then fleece. It's a knit fabric so it won't unravel like a woven would. You wouldn't even need to serge the edges. A tight zig zag stitch would do it. Or another really nice fabric that is very gentle on the skin and has a stay dry effect is bamboo velour. I have done a lot of Noodles night time diapers in bamboo velour and the are fantastic.

2sunshines
09-26-2011, 04:05 AM
You can also use fitteds under wool. Some fitteds have a layer of stay dry material against baby's skin.