PDA

View Full Version : Seeking parenting book recommendations

jmom1984
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
What have you read? What would you recommend? I am a little new to all this... AP, GBD, etc. I was raised this way in some ways, punitively in other ways. I love reading here, and I am learning so much! So I am just wondering what kinds of books you all read and what you have found to be worth reading. My oldest will be 4 soon, and my youngest will be 2 right before Christmas, so we are past the new baby stage (at least until we have another ;)), so I'm looking for books for toddlers and preschoolers, ig. Thanks!

walkwallfall
08-26-2011, 05:08 AM
I would recommend How To Talk So Kids Will Listen, And Listen So Kids Will Talk, Siblings w/o Rivalry, Playful Parenting, Biblical Parenting, Heartfelt Discipline, Ministry of Motherhood, Grace Based Discipline, all of the Your One (Two, etc etc etc) Year Old series.

Llee
08-26-2011, 05:25 AM
d also recommend "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin de Becker. Very affirming of the need to listen to our instincts to protect our children.

Kiara.I
08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Also Families Where Grace is in Place.

Plus lots of threads in the Gentle Discipline forum. I find that reading about, for instance, the Five Steps (on aolff.org) is great, but it takes me reading explanations about it in situations to get a deeper understanding of what it means. Repeatedly. :shifty

jmom1984
08-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I would recommend How To Talk So Kids Will Listen, And Listen So Kids Will Talk, Siblings w/o Rivalry, Playful Parenting, Biblical Parenting, Heartfelt Discipline, Ministry of Motherhood, Grace Based Discipline, all of the Your One (Two, etc etc etc) Year Old series.
:ty A few of these are already on the wishlist! Thanks for the others.

Also Families Where Grace is in Place.

Plus lots of threads in the Gentle Discipline forum. I find that reading about, for instance, the Five Steps (on aolff.org) is great, but it takes me reading explanations about it in situations to get a deeper understanding of what it means. Repeatedly. :shifty
:yes Me too. It has been baby steps of change in my house, but steps forward, nonetheless. I love reading all the examples here of how it's actually done, my skull can be thick! :O

Marrae
08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
There is a list here - http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=210121

Damselfly
08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Dealing With Disappointment was the most helpful for me so far.

gentlemommy
08-26-2011, 02:47 PM
My vote would go to Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey. It's gives you very specific tools/scripting that you can use *while also* helping you make the paradigm shift from punitive to grace-based. :rockon Many books seem to focus on one or the other, but this has a great combination of both, imo.

nessnco
08-28-2011, 11:09 AM
My favourite books are Liberated Parents, liberated parents by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish and How to Really Love your child by Ross Campbell.