PDA

View Full Version : YMCA Child Watch

abbiroads
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
We were able to join our local Y this past spring on a scholarship. We love it. DH and I especially have really benefited from exercising, improved daily routines and relationships we have built.

The Y has 3 branches, one little one in our town, one little one in the next town over and then a large facility also in the next town. We really enjoy going to the one in our town; the people have gotten to know us and really seem to care for our family. The lady who works their also watches the kids when we are there and she is sweet and helpful. She reads to them and plays with them and colors with them. They don't have a lot of toys or space there, but she keeps them occupied without any problems.

The large facility, however, has a lot more classes and other amenities, including longer hours for child watch. They have a really nice play area that is good sized with plenty of activities and even a large indoor slide/climbing thing.

The problem is, every time we take them there, they turn on the TV. It drives me nuts! I can understand using it if someone is upset or if there are too many busy kids and you can't keep up with everyone. But usually we pick them up and the worker is sitting there doing nothing and it is our kids and 1 or 2 others just sitting there watching TV.

It really seems to go against their stated Mission: To put the Christian principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.

I really appreciate that we can work out and have someone to watch the kids, but I really don't see how them sitting in a room watching Garfield or iCarly is building health for them.

I think I want to write a letter. How do I get started?

abbiroads
08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
bump

gdzprncess
08-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I would start by talking to the facility director to find out what the expectations at. I don't know about thee but the Y's I've experienced have very involved directors.

ChristmasGirl
08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
i'm not great at helping with scripts, but i agree that talking to the director is a good place to start. :hug

abbiroads
08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
So you think I should try to talk to him in person?

newday
08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
You have a great way with words and the way you present things...i think you would do well to talk to the director :yes

Beauty4Ashes
08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
That seems odd that the t.v. would be on. At ours, I don't think I've ever seen a t.v., except in the arcade area--they have wii and exercise equipment for older kids and adults, if I'm not mistaken.

abbiroads
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
You have a great way with words and the way you present things...i think you would do well to talk to the director :yes
Thank you. I think it would be easier to get my point across in person for sure. I'll see if I can arrange to chat with the appropriate person.

ChristmasGirl
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
i agree! my only advice is to be sure to assign positive intent in your dialogue, and hopefully that will help him to be receptive to your input instead of on the defense. :hug :pray4

abbiroads
08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
thanks! I have gotten better at not going into attack mode so quickly :shifty, even my MIL has noticed.

everydaygrace
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree you should talk to them. It is odd for them to have a tv on in the childwatch area, I think. Our childwatch people are always playing with the kids. :shrug

ChristmasGirl
08-26-2011, 05:55 AM
thanks! I have gotten better at not going into attack mode so quickly :shifty, even my MIL has noticed.

i wanted to make sure that you know that i didn't suggest that because of you, it was because it's something i'm working on :hug it's awesome that you've made strides in that area!

abbiroads
08-26-2011, 05:57 AM
i wanted to make sure that you know that i didn't suggest that because of you, it was because it's something i'm working on :hug it's awesome that you've made strides in that area!
I know :hug but it is something I have needed to work on and the stories I have heard about myself from my time in CO scare me :shifty, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I really need to plan a trip out there to see you, I only remember vauge impressions of you and I want to remember more!

ChristmasGirl
08-26-2011, 06:15 AM
that would be wonderful if you visit some time...I miss you tremendously. :yes :heart

Please don't worry about anything you "did" here in CO :hug You've been a wonderful friend over the years...you were there for me when i called you something like a month after i met you, totally breaking down over the phone because my daughter had switched schools and i was a basketcase :shifty we had a few years of meeting at the park with you and your kiddos and Rene and the gang. :hearts I contribute a great deal of my mental health towards you because you were the one who talked me into trying Fish Oil for my depression, and here I am 4 years later still taking it. :)

your character is still on our Wii from when you'd visit my house and "go bowling" with me so feel free to come bowl with me anytime :giggle

abbiroads
08-26-2011, 07:53 PM
lol, I didn't know about most of that, thanks for sharing!

aleigh
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Do you children ask for them to turn on the tv? That would make a huge difference to me. Or could there have been other children in & out while you workout that ask to watch tv?

My philosophy on gym childcare is that they aren't really "babysitters". At my gym they don't change diapers, they don't help with the potty, they don't give snacks- all things I would expect a sitter to do. They are there to keep my child safe & happy while I work out. And, if my kids ask to watch tv, they turn it on for them. I tell my kids that I would rather they play then watch tv, but I also know that's one of the "risks" I'm taking when I put them in the gym childcare. (FTR- my gym childcare workers are great with the kids & spend a lot of time playing & coloring with them, but there is also a tv.)