PDA

View Full Version : Book - Parenting in the Pew

MercyInDisguise
08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I really want to read this book. It was written by Dr. Robbie Castleman, a Bible professor I had in college, and I really credit her with getting me interested in the Bible and God. She really does have an amazing understanding of grace and is one of the most incredible women I have ever met.

HOWEVER: I am wary of books like this for obvious reasons. Generally they are filled with advice to get kids to sit down, shut up, and keep their hands folded... just generally not be in the way. Also, my SIL bought it when she decided to start keeping her 4 y/o in the service with her, and she takes him out to spank him on a regular basis. (Still does, at 7 y/o.)

Thoughts?

MercyInDisguise
08-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Bump...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sakura
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I've read it - but it's been a long while. I actually read it before I had my Pookie, so I honestly don't remember enough to tell you, but my vague remembrance was that I liked it.

I was a big help, wasn't I?! :O

I am interested to see what anyone else says.

Little Forest
08-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I've read it - but it's been a long while. I actually read it before I had my Pookie, so I honestly don't remember enough to tell you, but my vague remembrance was that I liked it.

I was a big help, wasn't I?! :O

I am interested to see what anyone else says.

Same thing for me. My mom got this book somehow and I read it for fun when I was 20. Years and years before I got married and had children, but I remember good things about it.

MrsHutch
08-27-2011, 07:06 AM
I've seen it and have been interested in reading it too... :popcorn

Victorious
08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
She mentions once that her boys said taking them out and spanking them made the biggest impact on them. She was kind of :blush that that is what they remembered the most. She does not list spanking or any discipline technique as a method though.

She encourages things like making sure they know Sunday is special, having them listen for a key word etc... She also spends a good bit of the book talking about how children going to separate children's worship or having a ton of toys/activities to distract them might backfire by inadvertently teaching kids that church is "too boring" for them.

Overall I liked it :shrug

Sakura
08-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I might have to try to find this book and pull it out and read it again.

I have been thinking about taking my 4 1/2 year old to services with me instead of to Sunday School some, but hmmmm.