PDA

View Full Version : Grace Based Parenting

emthewife
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
What is your experience with this book by Tim Kimmel?

My church is doing the study that comes with the book this fall, and I want to get excited, but I am not finding very much information about it, though the website does offer a glimpse into the book.

Thanks!

shirelingmum
08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
ah! i wish our church would do this one! my husband and i went through it a few months back (the book, not the accompanying study) and it was wonderful--really hit some things home with me. it's more of a teaching yourself about real grace and less of an instruction manual on "how-to's"...at least as far as i remember...memory is a bit fuzzy cuz we were going through some emotional stuff at the time...but i give the book two thumbs up:)

Rabbit
08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
It is the most mainstream of the grace based parenting books. It's not bad. It isn't anti-spanking, but not pro-spanking, either.

Barefoot Bookworm
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I really enjoyed it. I'd definitely take the class.

hbmamma
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
oooh, sounds like something we need at our church... I get all icky when they used to recommend Growing Kids God's way :sick

emthewife
08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear it's legit!

I think we will take the class, as I am having a hard time explaining GD/GBD and grace-based family life to my DH, and he's having a hard time with it too, probably because he grew up in a very punitive, manipulative environment.

ETA - I'm really happy our church is offering it, as some families are really into the Ezzo stuff, but many are super AP, so I'm glad that the AP side is what's being encouraged!

BeachMama
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I liked it. I would def take a class based on the book. It was the first book where the GD thing started to click for me. I was like, "yes! this is what I actually want to do."

Like the others said, at the end he makes a statement that allows for spanking, but that is not a focus of the book and he doesn't promote it either.

BarefootBetsy
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
It's a great "gateway drug" into GBD, for sure! I like this book as well as Dr. Sears' stuff to get mainstream Christians to consider that there might be another way :heart

Karen
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Some people don't care for it because it is not anti spanking but I really liked it. Like other have said, it is a great book for attracting current or recent spankers into a grace based parenting mindset. It was one of the first books that made me feel confident there was another way.