PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean your diaper covers?

passionatemom
08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
It occurred to me . . . if covers are waterproof, do they really need to be washed with detergent, or would a good rinse do?

If a rinse is enough, would it have to be separate from the actual diapers?

And if you do wash them. is TTO good or bad for the covers?

I just got some new covers, and want them to last. With my first kid, I ruined some, I think due to the detergent I was using. It was supposed to be good for diapers, but turned out not to be. It also made my diapers stinky.

For detergent, I now use a mix of baking soda, washing soda, and oxygen bleach. If covers need to be washed, not just rinsed, does that sound safe for them??

I always hang them to dry.

Oh, and we have well water with a water softener.

Thanks for any input!

greengirl19
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I wash my covers with my diapers. Mine are PUL, so they're kind of fabricy on one side and I think they need more than a rinse with water. I put them on for the whole diaper cycle (cold prewash, hot long wash, second rinse). I've had a couple start to fall apart at about the year mark but I think it's more due to the fact that I hang them in the sun for too long than the wash.

melliethepooh
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
PUL, wool, or something else?

I wash my PUL covers with my diapers and I've never had a problem. I use the same green detergent as for all our laundry.

Did Rockin Green make your dypes stink? I've heard it's common. Maybe time to strip...and switch detergents.
Posted via Mobile Device

JenLovie
08-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I wash my PUL covers with the diapers. I know they can be hand washed/rinsed, but it's much easier for me to throw them in the wet bag with the diapers.

sassafrassmom
08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I wash mine with my diapers.

I don't use oxyclean regularly, so I can't speak from experience, but I've read that after prolonged use it can wear on the elastic and PUL. I've also heard lots of people say they use it regularly without issue, so I don't know, just thought I'd mention it.

passionatemom
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I use Flip covers now, I assume they're PUL? The old ones were Bummis - PUL.

I'm sad to hear that oxygen bleach is also a possible problem. I wasn't using it previously when my PUL's wore out in less than 6 months. But I am using it now, and thought it was definitely OK.

It frustrates me because I do cloth to save $, among other reasons, and if I have to spend $100 every six months on covers, I'm not saving much.

Thanks for the input!

sassafrassmom
08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=passionatemom;4105275]

I'm sad to hear that oxygen bleach is also a possible problem. I wasn't using it previously when my PUL's wore out in less than 6 months. But I am using it now, and thought it was definitely OK.

/QUOTE]

Definitely do some more research b/f you rule it out. I remember reading it the other day, and when I just went to try and find it, I found a different site recommending it :scratch. What I do know is that there is lots of contradicting info out there, and I often what to throw up my hands too! how about contacting the manufacture directly?

melliethepooh
08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
6 months? Wow, that's fast. If you can't make PUL work, maybe try fleece. Bulkier but cheaper than wool.
Posted via Mobile Device

jmom1984
08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I use Flips and wash with RnG. I wash covers and inserts together for a cold wash cycle (no soap, just to rinse), then a hot wash cycle with an extra rinse. Then I take the covers out and hang them on a drying rack. Then I give just the inserts another hot wash with extra rinse. Every so often (maybe every other month) I soak the inserts (already washed) in vinegar and one scoop of oxyclean overnight, then wash again. Seems to work for us. I've been using these dipes for a little over a year and they don't seem ready to wear out anytime soon. I wash every other day, or three days at the most. We have a front loader (which I would NOT do again) and also have well water with a softener.

Barefoot Bookworm
08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I wash with Original Tide powder and hang dry. I actually need to get mine back out and do a wash before using them again. They've pretty much been sitting in a drawer because cloth on three was too much during this pregnancy.

Starfox
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I throw them in with all the diapers too. RnG, regular cold, hot, extra rinse, in the hot dryer, done. No troubles. I've been using them for 18 mos.