PDA

View Full Version : I want to start an alternative-minded mothers group in my community

Calliope
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Any advice? I was thinking about framing it as a babywearing group for moms to try out different kinds of slings, learn sling safety, get breastfeeding support, etc. Our town is SUPER conservative, so I feel like I would get a negative or, at least, confused reaction if I called it an "alternative" or "AP" group. I thought we could just meet at a coffee shop and be a supportive group of like-minded mommies.

Has anyone else started a group for moms in their community? Is it hard if most of the community appears, at least, to be traditional parenting types?

happyhippimama
08-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I did not start one, but there is one in my town. I love it. I am not very active on it right now because I'm so busy with school. But I keep up as much as I can. And before I started school last year I went to as many of the play dates and activities as I could.

The main thing that I see is that the mama that started it is very active on the board. And she is so sweet. I'm not sure how she started getting the word out. I imagine maybe putting up a flyer at wholefoods or a similar store would get the info to people at first.

Good luck doing that. I have really grown to love my local group. I have learned so much about what is around my city. and love that we are like minded.

Barefoot Bookworm
08-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I would probably die from pure joy if I found a natural/AP mom's group in my area. :)

cro
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Go for it! :tu
I started a babywearing group in my mostly-mainstream area. But at the time, we had active LLL and Holistic Moms groups, so I was able to start by spinning off those groups.

HMN died off a while ago, but one group that took off is EcoMoms. Our local group (i think they're part of a bigger org?) operates thru Meetup and they draw moms that aren't otherwise involved in typical AP-type groups. I think what helps is the focus on being "green." It's such a big thing nowadays, that it attracts even mainstream mamas. So maybe if you approached it from the green/natural/eco-friendly angle, you might get some interest even from a conservative community.

MommyKlein
08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I started a breastfeeding support group at my church. We discuss different topics every month. Next months topic is babywearing and one of my friends is coming in to demonstrate how to wear your baby. Our mama's are mainly AP mama's and we like to discuss all things AP but our main focus is breastfeeding.

allisonintx
08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
there's a group in Austin called Unconventional Mothers of Austin. I always thought that was a great name.

Maggirayne
08-16-2011, 08:08 AM
I did and called it Natural Mamas.

Castle On A Cloud
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Mine is called AP Mamas of _______. I know a friend has one called Gentle Moms. My concern with making it just a "green" or "babywearing" group is that not all of those moms (by a long shot, IME) are gentle mamas, or really people who I want my kids to be spending alot of time with:shrug3 And that was what I wanted in a group. Mainly, a place where we could all hang out and not worry about having to see a bunch of punitive parenting.