PDA

View Full Version : Any Waldorf or partial Waldorf HS here?

crmmom
08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I was wondering if there are any HS here who use Waldorf. I would love to hear some opinions and perspectives on it. Especially related to the "Spirituality" aspect of Waldorf and how you reconciled this with your own Christian beliefs. Did you just substitute one for the other? What about all of the festivals?

crmmom
08-09-2011, 05:19 PM
:bump:bump Really? No one?

AngelaVA
08-10-2011, 04:41 AM
It seems like we've had some long threads about this before but I sure can't find them.

We use Waldorf inspired curriculum but are no means purists. We are big on circle time where we pray and sing together and on having a daily rhythm to our activities, we do lots of nature activities are arts and crafts.

I've not done much with the festivals yet but the majority of them are once celebrated by most Christian Churches. I know some Christians don't want to celebrate Christmas, Easter ect because of the Pagan origins so if you fall into that category the festivals would not be for you. Waldorf generally encourages imagination and imaginitive characters like fairies and frogs that turn to princes. I don't have any problem with this at all but I guess some people would.

For me I think about how God created the world around us, he gave us all the amazing plants, animals, seasons ect and it helps me a lot to teach my daughter about God using these tangible things to get her interest. I also have found the Waldorf oral story telling methods very useful for tell my 5 YO the stories of the gospel, she's not cared for any of the children's Bible story books I've tired in the past. I also believe that God gave us the ability to think and imagine and invent and the fact that we would imagine for example fairies and a little fairy land to play with reflects this and is simply fun.

joyinthejourney
08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I enjoy the peaceful family rhythms of Waldorf, the gentle introduction of academics, the better late than never approach. I enjoy the importance Waldorf places on the spiritual health of the teacher/parent. I enjoy that Waldorf teaches about saints and some bible and Christian history. I agree that their lives should be quiet, rhythmic, peaceful, lots of outdoor time, imaginative.

I feel uneasy about anthroposophy. I do not agree with steiner's approach to Christianity. I feel uneasy about some of the festivals, mostly bc I myself can't reconcile some of them with my own faith.

I keep the good and don't use the parts that make me uncomfortable. For this reason, Ive had a hard time bringing myself to use Waldorf curriculums, although I've been inspired by parts of them.

Here's a thread I started recently. There are others here, too. I know bc I began some of my research here.

Hope that helps!

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

http://gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?p=4084374#post4084374

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

This thread:

http://gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?p=4084374#post4084374

arwen_tiw
08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
We're Waldorf-y, but even if we had the option of using a Waldorf School we almost certainly wouldn't. I disagree profoundly with some of Steiner's writings, both anthrosophy and some of his ideas about child development and science, um bits and pieces all over that I just absolutely don't accept and don't want any truck with. :shifty

Some bits (I'm thinking things like warmth, philosophy of colour, properties of natural materials, etc) I don't ascribe to the same thinking behind his teachings as full-on Waldorf groupies. But I do find the ideas themselves useful, and find that even where I think his reasons behind ideas are crazy/dangerous, that doesn't mean there is *nothing* good *actually* behind them... IYKWIM. I find Steiner deluded but fascinating, ahead of his time in some ways, and loopy in others. I find a lot of picking and choosing is involved not only in what I do and use, but in what I read, as I can only take so much crazy before it starts to influence my own thinking more than I like!

I don't know if that answered any of your questions... I celebrate a wheel of the year including both the anglican calender (ie most of what Waldorf schools celebrate) and the Jewish feasts and high holy days. Our house looks Waldorf-y, for some reasons that jive with anthrosophy and some that 100% don't... Um, what else? We delay introducing most "academic" oriented activity. We do form drawing regularly. We have a circle time. We have a radically different idea of the God we are praying to than Steiner appeared to. We don't limit what kind of art materials our children are allowed to use or what music they are permitted to listen to. We talk about fairies and tell traditional stories - but we don't tell our children fairies are real. We answer scientific questions with scientific answers (age appropriately). We own a TV. We allow the children to use the internet with supervision. We have books with *gasp* printed words for children under the age of seven. Etc. ;)

joyinthejourney
08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm enjoying this thread an d hearing how others are doing this! :)

kissesmomof4
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
I came here hoping to find just this kind of thread today.

I am having a hard time because I like the gentle, holistic methods that come with Waldorf style education. I like all the natural, creative aspects with art and story telling. But there is so much said against it by christians.

I believe that Steiner made some fantastic observations of how children learn and grow but sadly his reasons are just nutty new age stuff. It's a case of good methods, bad reasoning. A lot of christians say not to even touch Waldorf style methods with a ten foot pole because of the anthroposophic beliefs of Steiner. I just feel like that is throwing out the baby with the bath water. :scratch Because Steiner was an a new age nut we can't use story telling to teach, use natural materials, or create gentle art? I don't get it?

I am delaying certain aspects of education because I believe that is just how kids minds work, it is not because they are evolving or their spirit has not come to their body or whatever. I am using gentle methods because I think they will bring peace to my home and will allow my children to enjoy their education more, not because of any great spiritual reason.

I guess I am just feeling guilty. I purchased a waldorf INSPIRED curriculum. I love that it is teaching about different cultures and beliefs because I believe as christians we need to know so we can relate to others and know how to present the gospel. But then when I purchased the curriculum I see that in a block about India they suggest reading about Budda. That is the only thing I can see that really bugs me. We will probably just skip that. That ONE thing just bugs me :shrug3 It's not as though the lesson says you must become a buddist! LOL I just feel like "oh no what have I done, maybe they were right" :nails

arwen_tiw
08-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Oh I agree! On almost all counts. It is really frustrating to have yet one more thing where I am stuck with the "not a proper Christian" label because I have read Steiner, and still have Waldorf learning materials around!

Even before we discovered Waldorf we explored other faiths though, read their stories and philosophies, and didn't make a big deal about it; that seems very different to me to *participating* in those faiths, which I strongly believe requires a philosophical agreement and acompanying action.

AngelaVA
08-15-2011, 04:23 AM
So here's my confession, I don't give a hoot about Steiner, or Charlote Mason, or Maria Montessori, or Madeline Hunter or any other education guru with regards to their personal beliefs. I've never read or listened to any of Steiner philosophical stuff because I don't really have the time or interest in it. I'm just interested in finding a method of teaching and learning that is well suited to my children. At this time that seems to be Waldorf. I'm using it as tool for it's curriculum and teaching style I'm not accepting any dogmatic philosophies that go with it, which means I take what I want and leave the rest. I'm not going to throw our all our kids plastic toys or our computer or let them drag a bunch of bug infested acorns into the house because those things just seem silly to me. I'm not going to teach them any religious beliefs that I'm uncomfortable with either of course.

mom2_AthruZ
08-15-2011, 05:57 AM
After unschooling for 9yrs our family is moving in a different direction and we will be Waldorf inspired with the youngest three. I :heart the idea of celebrating festivals and just ordered a book from paper back swap titled To Dance with God:Family Ritual and Community Celebration.

I haven't read one lick of Steiner's writings. Being an unschooler at heart I like the better late than early approach Waldorf has. I am the mom to 3 active, close in age kids that are giving me a run for my money and having a rhythm appeals to me. I love wooden toys but we still have plastic. I like the idea of colors for the days and have fun ideas to implement that...food, eye spy games etc. I love the nature aspect, the connections to the rhythm of the year...and since God made it that way I feel even more connected to Him. ;)

Waldorf I think lends itself to being something that can provide a guide to your day that you can tweek to your personal preferences.

It was great to open the board this morning and find this thread. Shifting away from unschooling has been hard and somewhat sad for me. Knowing there are other waldorf/waldorf inspired mamas here helps me immensely.:yes

milkdud
08-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Hey, I know you. I'm doing a crazy diet with you. ;)

We do Waldorf and are Christian. You can technically give a Waldorf style education, without ascribing to the ideology behind it. However, know that everything in Waldorf is purposefully placed where and how it is in order to best meet the child's developing needs, as per Steiner's teachings. So in that respect, you'll be doing what he taught by default. Does that make sense?

In the beginning, I wondered about a lot of his stuff that seemed to not make sense to me. As I've read and studied what he's taught, a lot of what things seem to mean, have been misinterpreted or lost in translation. I don't agree with everything, but I'm fine with a lot more than I originally was.

The festivals are mostly religious in nature. They're designed to bring rhythm into the child's life as we cycle through seasons and to ground us. This link is a good, quick summary of what your celebrating at each one. http://www.pleasantridgewaldorf.org/page/explore/festivals/ You're encouraged to celebrate whatever festivals you want that are part of your home tradition. They are a lot of fun though. The kids love the preparations involved and the sense of community we all share in celebrating.

Kids learn about Buddha, in the 2nd grade when they do the saint studies. They also will learn about Christian saints, then Native Americans in the 3rd grade and other legends. ( Most of the 3rd grade year is spent on OT stories, btw. ) It doesn't mean you're going to teach them to worship animal spirits. Honestly though, it all ties back into Anthroposophy about why they learn what at each specific age. In our home, b/c we are Christian, we won't just do saint studies in the 2nd grade, b/c it's part of our daily lives. :heart

So, the bottom line is that, yes, you can teach a waldorf style education without all the anthroposophical stuff behind it, but there will always be the spiritual element of Steiner's works behind the whys and hows of doing it.

If you ever want to look through the Waldorf stuff I have, you're more than welcome to. Have you checked out any yahoogroups? Melisa Nielsen of A Little Garden Flower is Christian and is really thorough and good at answering any questions you might have. She's super sweet and thorough. Her list name is homeschoolingwaldorf.

fourbygrace
08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I've been interested in Waldorf for along time, but avoided it because of reading Steiner's ideas. My kids are a bit older, but I've been considering a Waldorf-inspired curriculum to use in a relaxed way for my children. I have stopped labeling our homeschool style and just call it our learning life. I use what works for our family from various educational "philosophies". I love creating rhythms, rituals and celebrations that enrich our lives and our realtionship with our Creator.

I am currently reading the book Simplicity Parenting which is definitely Waldorf -inspired. I really like the book so far.

milkdud
08-16-2011, 10:46 AM
That book isn't waldorf inspired, it's definitely straight waldorf. Payne is huge in the waldorf community. ;)

To the op, I was thinking. If you like the general idea of waldorf, oak meadow would prob be a good fit. It's not truly waldorf bc of the way the lesson plans are laid out and bc they have early academics and a few other things. It is though, more art, nature, crafts and gently guided than a lot of typical curriculums. Which, is what I think draws most people to waldorf anyway. So it's something you can use, that has zero basis in anthroposophy or Steiner.

ShangriLewis
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I have said it before...the great thing about hs is the flexibility. Use the bits that fit:heart

We use Oak Meadow. I am really drawn to Waldorf. But, I am perfectly happy doing my best. I have two special needs kids. If I had loads of money I would use the local Waldorf school. But, I don't have much money at all.

I don't have all the time in the world to learn about styles of hs either. I usually have one hs book I read. Then I pick a few things if I feel like it suits us.

fourbygrace
08-18-2011, 02:31 PM
That book isn't waldorf inspired, it's definitely straight waldorf. Payne is huge in the waldorf community. ;)

To the op, I was thinking. If you like the general idea of waldorf, oak meadow would prob be a good fit. It's not truly waldorf bc of the way the lesson plans are laid out and bc they have early academics and a few other things. It is though, more art, nature, crafts and gently guided than a lot of typical curriculums. Which, is what I think draws most people to waldorf anyway. So it's something you can use, that has zero basis in anthroposophy or Steiner.

Thanks, milkdud, for the clarification. :-)

I have a friend who is definitely NOT Waldorf in any way, but she read it and really liked it (though she warned me that it was "new agey"- her exact words) so I guess that is why I phrased it like that. You could still get something from it even if you aren't even Waldorf.

I agree about Oak Meadow and that is our plan.

mum2abby
08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
We are not really Waldorf but use some of the Waldorf materials and use Oak Meadow for curriculum. We aren't pushing reading -- we do a lot of stuff outside (when its not a 100+), lots of nature & science talks...etc

We are by no means following it though..just a little here and a little there...but I'd say more Waldorf than anything else...

That didn't really help now, did it. hahah.

milkdud
08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks, milkdud, for the clarification. :-)

I have a friend who is definitely NOT Waldorf in any way, but she read it and really liked it (though she warned me that it was "new agey"- her exact words) so I guess that is why I phrased it like that. You could still get something from it even if you aren't even Waldorf.

I agree about Oak Meadow and that is our plan.

I just reread what I wrote. I hope it didnt sound snarky. I only wanted you to know that he's fully into Waldorf just in case you wanted to be wary. :)

ShangriLewis
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I liked Simplicity Parenting! I think I might keep my eye out for a used copy. our library is pretty good at ordering the crunchy stuff I request.

wisdomjourney
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
We are waldorf-inspired hsing, but I am just getting started. At this point, we do circle time, storytelling, nature-based play, nature walks, and have incorporated some of the arts and crafts into our seasonal and yearly celebrations. My children love it. In terms of actual focused learning of subject matter, I haven't gotten there... and I feel I have a lot to learn. But I don't think we'll be sticking really closely to the Steiner's philosophy in many ways.

Ms_Dahl
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I am waldorf inpsired in my homeschooling approach. It wasn't until after I read Steiner's actual work that I was able to get fully on board with the waldorf approach. I love reading his work as it relates to childhood and learning; I think he was one of the greater minds of the 20th century. :O (I may be in the minority with my thinking in this regard). I have no qualms with being inspired by those who do not share my faith. My faith is how I worship and love my God, which is not the same as appreciating a philosophy. I always seek God's wisdom when reading and studying in general, to be able to take what is good and to recognize what is bad and then to discard it with ease, and that's how I was able to come to a sense of peace with incorporating his philosophy in my home after reading about the sensationalism that typically surrounds waldorf education.

joyinthejourney
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I am trying to read Kingdom of Childhood, when I have time; but, I do have to be in a particular state of kind to digest it well-lol.

Ms_Dahl
08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I finished that one recently, joyinthejourney. It was definitely not light reading...lol

I'm trying to finish up Magical Child by Joseph Chilton Pearce - another one that is not "light reading."

joyinthejourney
09-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I finished that one recently, joyinthejourney. It was definitely not light reading...lol

I'm trying to finish up Magical Child by Joseph Chilton Pearce - another one that is not "light reading."

Ya know, I've read through lecture 2 now, and it's really not so weird as I thought! The reincarnation part, I do not believe in. But, the way everything is introduced to the child in respect to their spirit really resonates with me. I think I'll keep reading. ;)

crmmom
09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I appreciate all of the opinions and insite as to how others incorporate Waldorf into their lives. I am still in the "learning about" phase. I am reading all I can. I do feel like if I was to call my self a Waldorf schooler, I want to completely understand what I am commiting to. Luckily I have a friend who studied at Steiner College. She is helping me to understand many of the philosophies behind Waldorf. I feel like once I have a good grasp of the teachings and philosophies, then I can decide if it is a good fit for my family or not. Regardless, I have come across many wonderful ideas in Waldorf that I will include in our lives and school.