PDA

View Full Version : Prefolds and diaper rash

marbles
08-03-2011, 07:42 AM
2 questions:

Someone told me I could use diaper rash cream with prefolds, but I thought any cloth would be messed up by diaper creams. So, which is it? I have a bunch of creams somebody gave me but I've only been using them disposables.

Also: Lucca has had a small diaper rash I can't seem to get rid of. I use cream at night and wipe with tea tree oil water during the day, sometimes lavender. I let her air out. The rash kinda comes and goes, alway in the same spot. What else can I do?

DoulaClara
08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
There are creams you can use w/ pfs, but not any w/ petroleum products. Weleda is one I use! Also, you might want to try stripping your diapers? NAK, I'll try to come back in a bit!

marbles
08-03-2011, 08:57 AM
how do you strip diapers? I'm thinking the diapers are part of the problem, but I don't know what to do about it.

mamajane
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I've always used Desitin with cloth diapers, mostly prefolds, and never had any problems

pastelsummer
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
when i strip diapers i usually do one hot wash and rinse with about 1/4 of the usual soap and then 2-3 full wash cycles with just plain hot water. usually works fine.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

also have you had her checked for ecxema? ds did that and it just wouldnt go away i got a cream from the dr (can be used with cloth) desonide i think is the name and it took care of it right away but we also found out that most of his problem was actually that with his ecxema ANY wet cloth of any kind will put a massive outbreak on his poor bum.

marbles
08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
also have you had her checked for ecxema? ds did that and it just wouldnt go away i got a cream from the dr (can be used with cloth) desonide i think is the name and it took care of it right away but we also found out that most of his problem was actually that with his ecxema ANY wet cloth of any kind will put a massive outbreak on his poor bum.

She has eczema, but I've never seen any in her diaper area, or even anywhere between waist and knees. This has been bothering her, though, she scratches at it a lot. I hadn't thought of that, though.

DoulaClara
08-03-2011, 05:34 PM
You can also strip diapers by boiling them. I use a giant pressure canner pot (I don't pressure cook them, though!) and boil damp-from-the-washer cleaned diapers for a solid ten minutes, then lift them out with tongs into another pan to let them cool a bit, then toss them back into the washer for a quick rinse and spin. This boils off bacteria that's being stubborn, gets rid of soap and diaper cream residue, and works on stains (drying them on the line in the sun gets rid of the rest of the stains!)

sassafrassmom
08-04-2011, 04:36 AM
I think they say diaper creams are alright for prefolds b/c they will wash out of natural fibers better than synthetic fibers found in others like pocket diapers. Here is a great link to stripping: http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml

I have used bleach before (when I am desperate) and it works well as well as a vinegar soak overnight or all day long. Vinegar isn't good if you have hard water though--only soft, or else it could react with minerals in your water and cause stink. Just fill your washer to the low water setting, add about 4-5 cups vinegar, soak and agitate every so often, then fill up to large water setting and carry on with your normal rinse/wash routine following up with rinsing until all soap bubbles are gone when you open the lid.