PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate Calm?

TuneMyHeart
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Our homeschool expo has a workshop featuring this, and I'm curious if anyone is familiar with it.

http://celebratecalm.com/

CelticJourney
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I've never heard of this. I will say I'm leary of anything that has a 'bootcamp' attached to it, even if it is for the parents.:shrug3

rjy9343
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I have never heard of it either, Like elcollins anything with boot camp makes me leery. But the articles do seem to think of children as people and not some savage you must subdue. If you can get your money back, I would attend one and see what they have to say.

AmyDoll
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
No, Celebrate Calm is AWESOME. It's a gentle discipline boot camp. They offer it here and SEVERAL of my Natural Living friends are fans of the guy. He has CDs and offers REAL LIFE practical tips. :yes

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

His focus is keeping your self calm and THEN calming your children down. He works a LOT with special needs (2e, ADHD, and I think spectrum kids)

FlyingBlueKiwi
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Haven't taken it myself, but know several moms (and one school principal) who think it is GREAT!

SilverMoon
07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I 'liked' their FB page a few months ago and love the updates I get. The blog links are thought provoking and I've 'shared' a few on my own FB wall.

gentlemommy
07-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow, I just listened to this (http://celebratecalm.com/featured-episode-from-december-2010/) radio show of his and it brought tears to my eyes. :happytears Awesome, powerful stuff. I want to be that parent he talks about at the end in regards to the lying and the medical treatment.

Thanks for starting this thread. :heart

SweetCaroline
07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I've never heard of this. I will say I'm leary of anything that has a 'bootcamp' attached to it, even if it is for the parents.:shrug3
i thought the same.exact.thing.
i watched the video..it seemed good though

TuneMyHeart
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm leery of anything discipline-related at a Christian homeschool expo. ;) But I'm looking forward to hearing him.

SilverMoon
07-28-2011, 10:21 AM
He's coming to Chicagoland next weekend. I wish my schedule were open so I could go listen! I think I can make it to one of the sessions, on Saturday, if my 14 yr old son is ok with being left by himself with friends at the mall.

dulce de leche
07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I hadn't heard of them until you posted this, but I really enjoyed the blog articles on their site. :)

katiekind
07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Browsed on their site a little, it looks like some good messages going out. :pray they can help many families.

Jemma2
07-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I've really enjoyed what I've learned from Celebrate Calm. I heard him speak in my town and bought the 4 CD set. It's all about calming yourself first and not "freaking out" at your child about things. It's totally about giving the kids tools to help themselves be calm as well. I've never heard him advocate spanking or any sort of physical punishment though he doesn't go as far as speaking against it. Except to say that it doesn't work because it doesn't give kids the tools they need to deal with whatever situation they're in. I think he does a great job at explaining and teaching parents why kids act the way they do sometimes. Especially when it comes to behaviors that stem from anxiety. As far as the term "bootcamp" goes my impression is that it's simply to say that the workshop would be an intense training for parents in a short period of time. Not in a super strict disciplinary wary against kids.
Overall I'm a big fan of Celebrate Calm. There have been a few occasions where I thought his suggestion to a situation was a little bit like "getting back". For example, an idea he tells for kids being loud in the car. That when you get home and the kids are watching tv, you bang pots and pan together for the same amount of time that they were being loud in the car. That seemed a little like getting them back to me. But that really is the worst case senario of advice I've heard him give (as far as I can remember).

TuneMyHeart
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
He had 3 seminars at our homeschool expo, and I went to all three. :giggle If I had the extra money, I would have bought the cd sets. They're pricey, but I really liked what I heard. :)

He said they're working on kind of a partnership with Dave Ramsey, and are going to create something called Christian Parenting University. They're going to make a set of scripturally-based cd's. :rockon

AmyDoll
07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
that's a moderately scary thought. DR is a spanker :(

joysworld
07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I may have to check it out!!! There is a free workshop coming here in Sept:)

TuneMyHeart
07-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Kirk Martin doesn't promote spanking at all, and he mentioned God's mercy and forgiveness several times. He said first time obedience is a crock because God doesn't demand it from us.

Rabbit
07-31-2011, 06:12 PM
DR comes from a different paradigm, and if he realizes that, he could do well in partnership with a gentle but effective parenting expert. I think he only knows the standard two methods of Christian parenting: Losers who provide no guidance or instructions, letting their kids run wild, or rod wielders who keep their kids in line, with beatings when "necessary."

chasingbutterflies
07-31-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm definitely going to have to check this guy out, he sounds interesting. The idea of Dave Ramsey doing a parenting course makes me nervous though...:nails

MarynMunchkins
07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Of course, the thought of a positive discipline advocate partnering with someone as well-respected and well-known as DR might be a really awesome thing too. :tu

chasingbutterflies
07-31-2011, 06:26 PM
yeah, I think it'd depend on how much of an influence DR is :shifty

flowermama
08-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I wanted to let you all know I received an email from the founder of Celebrate Calm, now called Calm Christian Parenting, yesterday. He shared that he was referred by a friend to a post on our board asking whether they believed in the Gentle Christian Mothers philosophy and that he wanted to let us know that they are fans of our philosophy, that they believe in the gentle, nurturing approach. He gave a link to a page on their site which has videos you can watch that demonstrate their philosophy: http://www.calmchristianparenting.com/book-events-keynotes/homeschool-convention-workships/ I watched them and was pretty impressed. :heart

gentlemommy
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I wanted to let you all know I received an email from the founder of Celebrate Calm, now called Calm Christian Parenting, yesterday. He shared that he was referred by a friend to a post on our board asking whether they believed in the Gentle Christian Mothers philosophy and that he wanted to let us know that they are fans of our philosophy, that they believe in the gentle, nurturing approach. He gave a link to a page on their site which has videos you can watch that demonstrate their philosophy: http://www.calmchristianparenting.com/book-events-keynotes/homeschool-convention-workships/ I watched them and was pretty impressed. :heart

:tu Thanks for sharing! How wonderful! I must say I find it very impressive that all of his events are free and open to the public. How unusual and awesome is that?! So many parenting workshops/courses are prohibitively expensive. :yes2

It's so exciting that he is providing such positive messages and making it so easy for parents to hear those messages! :heart

BarefootBetsy
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Awesome!!! Thank you for letting us know, Jeri! :heart

SilverMoon
08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
:rockon

I didn't make it to the conference that weekend. I also saw on their FB page today that they're looking for some TX locations to hold a conference.