PDA

View Full Version : Lanolinizing wool

mipennsn
07-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Is a wool wash with lanolin in it sufficient to lanolinizing wool soakers?

Waterlogged
07-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I have no idea...but maybe someone else does....

:bump

Tengokujin
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Is this for a wool soaker that you just made--never been lanolized?

If so, the recommended method is to melt a tsp or so of lanolin in about a cup of VERY hot water. When it has become oil floating on the VERY hot water, add that water to a basin of tepid water. Add a squirt of liquid soap to made the lanolin disperse through the water and not just be an oil slick on top of the water. Swish it around.

Soak your soaker in this liquid for a while, maybe like 20 min. or so. Drain the water out, gently squeeze out the liquid from the soaker, and roll it up in a towel to get more water out. Leave it to dry, which will take a while.

This will lanolize it for an initial lanolizing. After this, you can use a wool wash with lanolin to keep up with it. But, if you notice that the soaker is becoming less water proof, you can redo the lanolizing.

Also, lanolizing doesn't mean that it's water proof like plastic pants. It will just be water retardent. A sopping wet diaper is going to come through.

Calliope
07-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I find the easiest is using wool wash bars and woolie spray from a shop like Ewe Need It.

PDX Mommy
07-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I would lanolize it first with lanolin and then use a wool wash thereafter.

Tandem mama
07-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I haven't had much success keeping my wool lanolized with a wash alone. I really like sheepish grins liquid lanolin and spray lanolin for quick spritzes between big lanolizing. On a budget, though, I just use lansinoh lanolin in the method described above :) I do this once every few months. I use my wool at least one day a week right now, I'm trying to make more

2sunshines
07-15-2011, 06:32 AM
depends. It's really a matter of trial and error. I use just a lanolin rich wool wash, but I don't like heavy lanolin because it takes away the breathability of the wool. If, however, my wool leaked with just lanolin rich wool wash, I would most definitely add more lanolin.

So start small, see if it's adequate for your baby, then add more if needed.

Serafine
07-15-2011, 06:34 AM
I have never done the "initial lanolizing" on my wool. But, I do know that is what most people do.

I have used (and prefer) alioop's wool wash (she is on hyena cart, I am pretty sure) and eucalan wool wash (both contain lanolin). So far, so good. We have never had a soak through.

mipennsn
07-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you for the replies. My mil and I are making soakers for my bil & sil's coming baby and we were discussing how to lanolize the soakers. Now I need to get my hands on some wool wash and get my covers washed/lanolized. I love the ones made from Fisherman's Wool, it still has lanolin in it.