PDA

View Full Version : I <3 Flats

GlobalMama
06-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone. There's a lot of prefold love here on GCM and for good reason. I've used my fair share of prefolds. But, if anyone is looking to CD for the first time, or go back to CD, or just try it out, can I recommend flats? :-)

I love my flats and thought that I'd share my immense love for them as a way to show the world how non-scary flats are.

First and foremost, these babies are cheap. Really cheap. So cheap that, on a very modest budget, the only fabric touching DS's little tush is organic. 1 Dozen organic flats cost me $27. Twenty seven dollars. Two dozen small and two dozen large would have all the diapers you'd ever need plus more newborn to potty learning for $100.

If you're really on a budget, you can get just the large size and fold them down. You'll never have to worry about sizing up.

Also, you can fold them so many different ways to help with absorbency, trim fit, etc. I love the variety.

They dry in no time. Really, one layer. I put these on the line in a storm and they still dried light years before everything else. In the dryer? I can dry all 24 in my itsy bitsy dryer and they are all bone dry in less than an hour (this thing is archaic and barely dries anything else).

If you couple flats with EC (I know, now we're getting way out there huh?) you can fold them while they are on the potty. It becomes part of your routine. I never feel frustrated at folding flats. It's become part of my weekly routine and gives me something boring and mundane to do when I'm so overloaded and stressed out.

They can fit under ANY cover out there, just change the fold.

And I did I mention how cheap they are?! If you are a knitter and can knit wool shorts, then you'll really be on to something. Don't be scared. Flats are wonderful! :heart

crunchymum
06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for posting! I've been thinking about doing at least *some* flats. :yes I tried it out with an old baby blanket, and it worked pretty well! (except, I was trying to use a snappi, and it wouldn't grab the fabric like it would a real diaper).

mommychem
07-04-2011, 01:27 AM
I second the thanks for posting! While I use prefolds for the most part, I sometimes use flats on wash day and they are the cheapy gerber ones, but I still like them. I can't imagine how much I would love quality flats even more. I will be purchasing some as soon as i can. Folding is really the fun part, for me at least. Can you recommend a good source for flats? My first thought would be GMD...:think

Barefoot
07-04-2011, 02:25 AM
We used flats for a long time. I had bought some MCNs but they were too big for DS when he was born. When we switched over to them, DH said the flats were easier to use. (he did prefer the plastic pilchers though :( )
We used BBH covers with the flats.
Will be using them for the next one when they decide to arrive too.

GlobalMama
07-04-2011, 02:58 AM
GMD is where my flats are from though I've tried others. My faves are the ImseVimse LARGE ones, but good luck finding them. They are always out of stock wherever you look. They come in 75 g and 100g. The 100g are the best! I got some from a friend. :-)

The thing that I really love about flats is that they are super versatile and you really can diaper multiple kids at a time with the same diaper (I hope to do this with my own one day, but have done it while babysitting and it's so much easier than checking for sizes and grabbing the wrong thing all the time).

I fold them origami style and then fold a doubler into them for night time or naps even though DS usually wakes up dry. You can always double diaper with a double and you'll be good as gold for nights, especially if you use wool over it :-)

Mama Rophe
07-04-2011, 05:25 AM
I agree, flats are awesome! I used to use mainly prefolds, but when they wore out after 3 kids and needed to be replaced I tried flats. I am so happy I did. I use mainly old receiving blankets bout at rummage sales for .10¢ a peice. Add in some covers and you've got a super cheap way to diaper your baby.

sillybeans
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Flats are awesome!!! I love how easy they are to wash...we've never had any stink problems with flats, even when the other diaper have been stinky.

poleidopy
07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm ready to give up all my bazillions of misc diapers and use flats, BUT...I need help. Can you recommend a good site to teach me how to fold them & stuff? And are they really absorbent enough? :scratch

doubleblessings
07-04-2011, 04:06 PM
knitlove loves flats. I think she has limited internet access/time right now, but if you have questions you could pm her.

ThreeKids
07-04-2011, 04:16 PM
My mom recommended flats to me, but we couldn't find the exact kind of gauze she remembered as being so great.

She said, as long as one wasn't soiled, it was okay to do a quick handwashing, then a little time in the wind, bammo!, fresh diaper. (paraphrased)

GlobalMama
07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
youtube is great for folding videos :-) Also, they aren't absorbant in the disposable of polyester way but I've never had a leak. Also, you can double them up or add doublers for absorbency. They do get "wetter" than synthetic diapers, but diapers should changed freq anyways :-)

oooh cant forget the nappylady!! http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/articleGallery.asp?categoryID=6

Barefoot
07-04-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www. kittykins.co.uk/advice/id/20
some folds

mommy2abigail
07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I love flats too! Actually the OP inspired me to get my flats back out, and I've been loving them! I have a mish mash of "real" flats from little lions and flannel blankets...I did go ahead and get some of those GMD flats, and it's true, they are amazing. So soft, so versatile, we just love them. The fit is amazing, even after she has peed in them, they are still nice and trim, no wing drop like I get with pf's. Not to mention they are trim! :heart

Domina
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
This surprises me! I have a dozen flats but they're such poor quality, I have to use 3 of them to get any real absorbency. So of course, I'd rather use a prefold and save myself the trouble...I didn't really think about buying better ones. Hhhm...:think

NeshamaMama
07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
We used receiving blankets as flats for a while when we were having leak issues with poop and they were AWESOME! The leg gussets they create with the right fold, oh my. :majorswoon Case in point, a picture from last year:

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz341/emilimeikle/IMG_1127.jpg

NOTHING is getting out that baby! And, hello, chance to use all those cute receiving blankets as adorable pee catchers ;) Oh man, if dd wasn't sleeping right now I'd go put one on her! :giggle Maybe I need to take up with the flats again. :think

Kernigemom
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I hadn't thought about how much I love my flats until you started this thread :yes
I like hemp best, but they're not cheap, so I bought several yards of hemp/cotton fabric and serged my own. They really are fantastic, and even though we EC, it's the flats I've used most for backup diapers, esp at night with an EC band.
They can be used for so many things, dry fast in our humidity here and have held up to a lot of hard use. :rockon

poleidopy
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
DH wants to buy the econobum kit (http://www.everythingbirth.com/Econobum-Full-Kit-One-Size-Diapering-BGE4400-p-Flat-Prefolds-Cloth-Diapers.html)...what do you guys think of those diapers? They are flats, right?:shifty

Katydid
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I bought a dozen LL flats when ds2 was a baby to replace some of our ratty prefolds and I find myself reaching for them first! :rockon

I may have to splurge on some GMD flats this time around. :)

mommychem
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting! I've been thinking about doing at least *some* flats. :yes I tried it out with an old baby blanket, and it worked pretty well! (except, I was trying to use a snappi, and it wouldn't grab the fabric like it would a real diaper).

I love using receiving blankets as flats, especially the ones that are too small for swaddling past a month. But I have problems with using a snappi too.

DH wants to buy the econobum kit (http://www.everythingbirth.com/Econobum-Full-Kit-One-Size-Diapering-BGE4400-p-Flat-Prefolds-Cloth-Diapers.html)...what do you guys think of those diapers? They are flats, right?:shifty

I don't love them because they are 8 ply on both sides as well as in the middle so they are a bit difficult to fold, then snappi or pin. They are OS prefolds, not flats and partly why I want to start using flats exclusively. They hold a lot, but are too thick on the ends imo. They also seem to take a while to dry. And if you tri-fold, it is really bulky and stretches the covers too much. I like the covers though and bought two more after purchasing the kit. A dozen flats plus three of their covers should only be a couple dollars more than the kit tbh. Hth!

GlobalMama
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
I would go with GMDs. I love mine to pieces and will order more if we're lucky enough to get pregnant again this year *crosses fingers*

They work well with any cover because you can fold them to fit. If you think you might get lazy with folding and want to tri-fold into a cover, litewraps are cheap and work well. Any full cut cover works with trifolding a flat. They are bulkier than prefolds trifolded because there ends up being 12 layers and they aren't sewn together. So full cut is best for trifolding.

I haven't tried econobum covers but I know people like the covers. The trimmest option we've found is a flat origami folded under an imse vimse soft. SO trim. Thirsties duos are trim too with the same fold, but they don't fit DS well. Booo for my wallet.

Krisun
07-06-2011, 06:54 PM
You all have me wanting to try flats! I'm going to be using a local diaper service for the first 6 weeks or so since I'll be alone with baby and my 2 y/o DS most of the time (DH starting new job out of country just after my due date. I'm not moving til after my postnatal visits) and have no desire to be dealing with diapers on my own. Once we move, I need to pick up a smaller sized stash. I didn't start to CD with DS until he was 5 months old, so only have the larger Bummis prefolds.

Reading the thread on flats made me want to at least give them a try. Cheaper option for my stretched thin pocketbook sounds like a plan to me... Not finding them anywhere in Canada right now, so will just wait until I can order and have shipped to my US address in August.

GlobalMama
07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Green mountain diapers has a deal for shipping to Canada, though I think it's a little exorbitant if I'm reading it correctly. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/
canada.htm

Domina
07-07-2011, 05:57 AM

They're prefolds. Econobums are good diapers for the price. The "trial kit" includes 1 cover and 3 prefolds for $11.95US, and they get the job done.

Personally, I like the Flips better, but I have no problem with Econobums. Except, as PPs have noted, the prefolds are bit thick and too large for newborns.

blondie
07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I have really found the flats love too!

mommychem
07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
They're prefolds. Econobums are good diapers for the price. The "trial kit" includes 1 cover and 3 prefolds for $11.95US, and they get the job done.

Personally, I like the Flips better, but I have no problem with Econobums. Except, as PPs have noted, the prefolds are bit thick and too large for newborns.

When I mentioned cost, I was speaking of the economy kit that I purchased (to which the poster linked). It is roughly $49 US. :heart

I love, love, love Flips covers!

Back to flats discussion...:giggle

GlobalMama
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey Downinmyheart, what kind of flats do you have? Flats are so cheap that it pays to "splurge" on quality ones because the cheap flats are REALLY bad quality. It's kind of like the difference between regular gerber prefolds and nice fluffy gmd's or little lions.

Nightingale
07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry to be toooootally off topic here, but every time I see this thread I think you're talking about shoes and thinkg, "but heals are totally better!!!"

Can you tell how far out of babies/diapers I am? :giggle

mommychem
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry to be toooootally off topic here, but every time I see this thread I think you're talking about shoes and thinkg, "but heals are totally better!!!"

Can you tell how far out of babies/diapers I am? :giggle

You are indeed! ;)

2sunshines
07-15-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm glad to see some flat love here. I love flats too. They're so versatile and SO trim!

MoongardenMama
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Ahhh, FLATS! My faves are the Muslin Squares, also acquired from the UK Nappy Lady! Imse Vimse too. I have some of their older style flats as well. They used to have a light flannel square, I have 6...I used them first, as a swaddle blanket, then a burp cloth, then folded up oragami at about 8 months! Imse even used to have a light terry square...but alas, they are no more... I guess not enough Mamas appreciated the wonders of flats, or they'd not have cut back their selection so! :-/

I'm rather a NUT for wool, but if I do a PUL sort...IMSE SOFT cover (with snaps thanks to GMD) is the best IMO. Other than that, I have about 10 Disana Tie-on Nappies which are fun as well...

Yes, I LOVE flats. The only thing left for me to find, is an Organic Colorgrown Flat in a lovely light mocha color! :heart Sadly, those only exist in my as yet, unfulfilled aspirations as a seamstress! :lol

ValiantJoy07
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow... I'm really considering buying a few flats for this baby... I'm hoping I can teach DH how to use prefolds because I am DONE with the long drying times for my fitteds and my old pockets drove me crazy... I only kept them with dd2 because DH refused/would panic at the though of doing anything more :doh But he's grown a lot since then and I think he really would tackle prefolds if he saw how much was involved with flats he would see how easy prefolds are. :shifty

blondie
08-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I want to dye some of our flats...has anyone done that ?

ValiantJoy07
08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Also: those who use flats do your husbands help with diapers at all? Were they overwhelmed? DH is on diaper duty when he's home, he has to ask me specifically if I'd mind changing one when he's home in the evenings (I mean I do them if I feel like it...But when we had 2 in diapers I enjoyed my evenings off :shifty). I'm hopeful this will continue with Newby.

mommychem
08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow... I'm really considering buying a few flats for this baby... I'm hoping I can teach DH how to use prefolds because I am DONE with the long drying times for my fitteds and my old pockets drove me crazy... I only kept them with dd2 because DH refused/would panic at the though of doing anything more :doh But he's grown a lot since then and I think he really would tackle prefolds if he saw how much was involved with flats he would see how easy prefolds are. :shifty

Also: those who use flats do your husbands help with diapers at all? Were they overwhelmed? DH is on diaper duty when he's home, he has to ask me specifically if I'd mind changing one when he's home in the evenings (I mean I do them if I feel like it...But when we had 2 in diapers I enjoyed my evenings off :shifty). I'm hopeful this will continue with Newby.

We do prefolds mostly and since DD2 is more wiggly and rolling over, I rarely use snappis anymore. That said, DH is willing to change diapers using the tri-fold method with our prefolds. However, it is QUITE RARE for him to change a diaper at all. :-/ He would be quite confused by flats, I'm sure. Your DH may do a better job though. :shrug3

blondie
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
My husband hasn't used them much for my daughter, but he said he'd use the for the newbie if I fold them for him.

GlobalMama
08-19-2011, 06:34 PM
When they get into solids, you can trifold flats and lie them into a cover. Then it's like an AIO it's so easy.

As for when they are little, I just prefold the into little fiited looking diapers using origami fold and DH was fine with those.

You could trifold from the beginning knowing that the cover will need to be changed everytime. 8 covers for trifolding plus flats is still cheaper than AIO's or pockets.

Depending on how your DH is, the financial aspect might be able to win him over.

ValiantJoy07
08-21-2011, 10:51 AM
When they get into solids, you can trifold flats and lie them into a cover. Then it's like an AIO it's so easy.

As for when they are little, I just prefold the into little fiited looking diapers using origami fold and DH was fine with those.

You could trifold from the beginning knowing that the cover will need to be changed everytime. 8 covers for trifolding plus flats is still cheaper than AIO's or pockets.

Depending on how your DH is, the financial aspect might be able to win him over.
:think We have 3 wonder wraps I was thinking of investing in 3 Flips and 2 wools (for night time)...And I always have my old (very worn and leaky but in a pinch they work) thirsties covers (3) that I'm retiring but like I said, could use in a pinch.

Going to think on this...I'm going to need some thing especially versatile (sounds like flats are) in the newborn stage especially...:think I think a lot depends on how many babies we'll be dealing with (a question that is sort of maybe up in the air right now).

hopeforchange
08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
i love my cloth diapers and i have a TON, lol, including flats. but i can hardly get a sposie on my boys b/c they hate diaper changes so much and want to wiggle away; i can't imagine trying to get a flat or prefold on them. :no

i used prefolds on dd from age 2 until she potty trained...wish i had discovered flats with her.

GlobalMama
08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah my son is a wiggler too which is why diaper changes always follow a trip to the potty to make sure he's all done going, and a toy. Usually a cell phone or a remote control. I think when you use flats exclusively, they learn how long it's going to take and they are at least semi compliant with the time involved. And you learn to get quick at it. I can do a flat and a cover quicker than I can figure out the snap setting on a fuzzi bunz. Not to say that there aren't a few changes that involve screaming bloody murder, but I think that happens diaper type aside. :)

hopeforchange
08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
lol my boys are just crazy. like i said, it takes me over a minute just to get a sposie on them sometimes b/c they fight so much. and don't get me started on changing their clothes. :giggle plus, i don't wanna wash diapers for two.

but i miss using cloth.

Castle On A Cloud
08-23-2011, 11:40 PM
i want to get some flats for this baby:yes But, I have a bajillion yards of flannel... do you think I could just serge a piece the same size as a flat and have it work the same?

GlobalMama
08-24-2011, 01:17 AM
I think so. Don't see why not as I've used flannel blankets in a pinch many times :)

Tandem mama
08-24-2011, 04:51 AM
I want to dye some of our flats...has anyone done that ?

Yes, you have t use a Dye wit a fixer. Not the stuff you get at Joann fabrics. Learned the hard way. Took me 2476583424 washes plus some bleeding onto other dipes to get them to stop.

Yeah my son is a wiggler too which is why diaper changes always follow a trip to the potty to make sure he's all done going, and a toy. Usually a cell phone or a remote control. I think when you use flats exclusively, they learn how long it's going to take and they are at least semi compliant with the time involved. And you learn to get quick at it. I can do a flat and a cover quicker than I can figure out the snap setting on a fuzzi bunz. Not to say that there aren't a few changes that involve screaming bloody murder, but I think that happens diaper type aside. :)

I get my fats ready then bring dd for a change. I just fold them sort of like a prefold ATM. I prefer flats. I'm one who changes up my diapering depending on circumstance. I usually do coverless a home because then I change quicker and she is happier :)

i want to get some flats for this baby:yes But, I have a bajillion yards of flannel... do you think I could just serge a piece the same size as a flat and have it work the same?

Absolutely! I use flannel blankets all the time as flats there a little harder to snappi but I manage just fine. :) also old tshirts can be made into flats!

hopeforchange
08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
well i'm not using flats, but this thread did inspire me to bring my cloth back out. and the boys like picking what color they wear and have been laying still for diaper changes. :woohoo i'm so excited! :rockon