PDA

View Full Version : more questions, EC help and resisting diaper changes...

WildFlower
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok, this is kind of 2 questions in one...I was doing part time EC starting around 5 months. She would pee in the potty when she would get up from nap or in the morning. Then I started catching some poos too. But I kind of got lazy and quit. It was only part time...but my issue is...partly this...

she hates laying down for diaper changes. Diaper changing is hard enough when she doesn't want to lay down for me to take off her diaper or put one on, without sitting her on the potty , then laying her BACK down to put on a clean one, let alone doing this MORE times just to give a potty opportunity instead of just changing them once she's gone...

But I really would like to do more EC . :yes

How does one do this when they get wiggle and don't want changed?

How do you change a diaper when they don't want changed without making it tramatic? I try to give her a toy or something first and it helps but doesn't always work. Is there a way to put a diaper on a baby while she stands up? She wants to stand, all the time!!!...
getting frustrated....:ph

oh, another quick question...clothes...when ECing...what do you have them wear so you aren't constantly taking clothes on and off and on and off...?:hunh

GlobalMama
06-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi there. We part time EC (uses it for poo and has since 9 months and we catch as much pee as we can). Are you doing cloth? What kind are you using? That'll change my answer on how to make diaper changes easier.

That being said, there's no reason to lie her down to take the diaper off. Do a quick booty check for poop and if you're in the clear, then whip that bad boy off while you hold her or as she runs along. I do that with DS and we use covers, flats, and a snappi. :-) Then pop her on the potty and make it FUN. Books, a special toy while she's on the potty, etc. The best way, IMHO, to make it fun and let it serve the purpose you want (having them actually go instead of just hang out) is to time it when you can pretty much guarantee they need to go. First thing in the morn or up from a nap, after a huge nursing session/drink, etc. Also, learn the signs for poop. DS is a grunter, so I lucked out on that one.

Once you learn the signs for poop, pop her on the pot. Even if half is in the diaper, having her do some on the potty will help her understand.

All in all, don't stress about it and make it fun. As far as putting the diaper back on, let me know what you're using and I'll try to chime in with a suggestion

WingsOfTheMorning
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I agree not to lay her down to take the diaper off. :yes

For clothes, wear less clothes at home, especially since it's summer. Dresses are great. Also babylegs w/ a shirt.

I might have more ideas once I know what kind of diapers you're using. :D

GlobalMama
06-30-2011, 12:43 AM
oh yeah, the clothes. t shirts, no snaps, no onesies. Babylegs in winter :-) Gerber tshirts run reeeeally small as an fyi,in case you find those.

WildFlower
06-30-2011, 05:40 AM
we are using cloth, mostly velcro BG right now but may switch to fitteds and covers. Oh taking off the diaper standing would really help. She loves to hang onto me standing any way. We have lots of cute summer dresses but haven't used many... I just discovered a problem...:shifty she just learned to crawl and dresses get caught under her knees :scratch I used to LOVE onesies... but they were /are part of the dressing problem, too much slowing changes down, so I may just need to go to t-shirts.

Stiina
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
If we're at home or playing outside, DS doesn't wear anything. I just wipe up the misses and don't worry about it.

If you're still just wanting to do part time, just put her in a longer t-shirt and her diaper. You can use the fitteds without covers too, to simplify things. Just cover it if you're going out somewhere and she's going to be wearing pants.

If you're using bumgenius diapers, heck woman, put that diaper on that girl when she's standing! You've got it made! Even with fitteds! Sheesh!! :giggle We use fitteds, no covers (when he wets, it's basically just like "HOLY COW I gotta go ma, I'm just gonna let a little bit out until you realize I have to go!") when we are out of the house or for napping/bedtime. Like I said, DS just wears a t-shirt and no pants ever when we're at home. I hardly ever diaper ds when he's laying down anymore. Most of the time he's walking away while I'm trying to dress him to go out the door :roll

Hope that helps...good luck with EC and just keep doin' it!! :)

GlobalMama
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
ITA with STIINA. If she's just learning to crawl, a diaper and baby legs would be a great at-home "outfit"

zak
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
The Gerber undies run really small/tiny and you could just have her step into undies rather than lay down for a diaper. :) ( :doh , I forget her age, that might not work just yet. My 16 mo has been "stepping into" his undies for a few months now).

WingsOfTheMorning
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
If you have a lot of onesies you can fasten the snaps at the side to make them kind of like t-shirts. :nak2