PDA

View Full Version : toddler new nightwaking?

delightedmama
06-16-2011, 04:43 PM
DD is 14.5 months old and has just began again with what reminds me of newborn nightwaking. It's been every night for the past 2+ weeks and I haven't figured out the cause or how to help.

Previous to this, "normal" for her is a 1.5-2 hour nap waking at noon, bedtime at 7pm, nurse (without waking) when I come to bed at 10, nurse (again without waking) at 3am, and sometimes nurse (once again without waking) once more before waking at 7am.

Now, she's taking her normal nap, going to bed at 7, and nursing at 10... normal so far. But between 2am-3am, she wakes up all the way. Except for one night where she just babbled and played for 2 hours, she's waking screaming and crying. Some of the days it sounds like pain, some it sounds like she's just mad. Her eyes are open and she'll say "Mama" some, which she's never done in her sleep. She flails around, stiffens up, and so on. This either is really intense for a half hour or so (crying the whole time), or goes on and off for several hours. Either way, by the time she's done I'm wide awake and can't go back to sleep for several hours more, so I'm feeling exhausted during the day.

Any tips for what I can do?

Additional info that might be helpful: I tried for months to get her to have an afternoon nap but it never worked; usually she just wouldn't go to sleep, and on the few times she would it wouldn't be until 4 or 5 and then she'd act really cranky and exhausted at bedtime but be unable to sleep. We co-sleep, if that wasn't clear. She doesn't seem to be teething and has been walking for months. She doesn't talk except Mama. We haven't moved or anything else dramatic.

MercyInDisguise
06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Could she be teething? C is sometimes restless like this and wakes up fully when he is intensely teething. I might try giving some infant Motrin when you come to bed just to see if it helps. :hug2

euromom
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I am going through this with my 16mo old and I think mine is teething. She has her molars already but I think her eye teeth are coming in. I'm hoping that once they break through we'll be back to sleeping more soundly again. I second some motrin at night when she wakes, or some Hylands. :hug2