PDA

View Full Version : Registering for CDs

happylizzz
06-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Hey ladies!

I am currently building, deleting, and re-building my registry for CDs. I am so confused... this is my first go-round (first baby) and I want to do it right (of course). I know that it all depends on the fit of the baby, preference, even the materials against baby's skin, and a million other things. So I feel like I'm just guessing here.

Would anyone be willing to read through my list and make any suggestions? Here's what I have registered for so far (and intend to purchase if not gifted):

2 X Thirsties Deluxe Diaper Duffle (for on-the-go)
2 X GroVia Wet Bag (for the nursery)
60 X flannel (cloth) wipes - unbleached
20 X Kissaluvs organic/cotton hemp fitted diaper (newborn, 5-15lbs)
3 X Prorap covers (newborn)
5 X Prorap covers (small)
3 X Kissa's Wool Lover diaper cover (small)
10 X bumGenius 4.0 - hook & loop
10 X bumGenius 4.0 - snap
1 X bumGenius diaper sprayer

So, basically… 20 newborn fitted diapers w/ 11 covers (two sizes - is that not a good idea?) and 20 BG pocket diapers for after-newborn stage. Then a few essentials.

Am I missing anything? Is this overboard?

I normally would plan to "make do" through the early newborn stage, but if I am planning/preparing for more than one baby… I feel like I may as well go all out and get what I need for all stages. Does that make sense?

I am also thinking maybe I should consider a few AIO's for babysitters, travel, and on-the-go. Yay... nay?

OH, and quick note.... babies in my family are pretty big, 8+lbs (my brother was 10lbs/11oz)... so I don't imagine the newborn sizes fitting for too, too long.

I'm so lost..... Help!

Mommainrwanda
06-09-2011, 05:57 AM
It looks good to me :shrug3

My only suggestions would be:
-Lanolin for your wool
-Biodegradable paper liners for your BG (you won't need them for months, but might as well put them on the list)

I found that making lists like this and buying ahead of time was fun, but it was/is REALLY fun to buy once you have the baby around. So I might suggest leaving yourself some fun money to buy/try other types of dipes once the baby is here.

Have fun! :tu

JenLovie
06-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Any hook and loop closure pockets will work for a babysitter. Ours has figured out snaps, but I try to leave some hook and loops for her. Make sure you get/register for some CD friendly rash cream. I LOVE Gro Baby's Magic Stick. I love the applicator stick and our current stick is over 2 years old and we still have a lot left!

happylizzz
06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you!! Finally I feel good about my list! haha...

Off to shop for lanolin, liners, and rash cream.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Dovenoir
06-13-2011, 05:47 AM
I see you registered for the BG diaper sprayer.

After careful review I decided to go for the potty pail sprayer (no we didn't get the pail to go with it, but I kinda wish we had) Its the same price, but less plastic to break.

http://www.pottypail.com/order.php

We spray every diaper so that we cut down on washing (coin laundry)

Also- I use California Babies Diaper Rash cream on my CDs and so far so good. HTH.

mamamonkey
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
I agree that pockets are fine for the sitter/grandparents as long as you have them stuffed first.

I actually would add 5 more of each BG to make your total 30 diapers. I had this many for DS in the after newborn stages and I did a wash every 3 days and my dipes also got a good rotation where they weren't worn and washed every time.

Also, you might want to consider a pail liner in a garbage can for your diaper storage in the nursery (I kept ours in the laundry room). The wetbags are great, but after the dipes have been in there more than a day, they start to smell pretty strong IME. I kept a wetbag downstairs and dumped it into the larger pail every day.

I used EarthMama AngelBaby baby bottom balm with my cloth and loved it.

Oh, and I had some fleece liners that we used at nighttime and it helped keep DS's bottom from getting red from the wet diaper.

Lady Grey
06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
You could get the size 1 Thirsties Duo wraps instead of newborn and small prowraps. At 9 pounds my babies didn't really fit the newborn prowraps (I didn't like them much anyway) and while we did have some newborn Litewraps that worked well - I would just go for the Duo wraps if I was buying again today.

If you want to save money I would also consider getting some newborn prefolds instead of so many Kissaluvs. (but definitely some Kissaluvs though, because they are adorable :yes ) If you got half prefolds and half Kissaluvs that would save you quite a bit - and you could use the difference to change things up a bit when the baby is older if you want to.

Also, with the Kissaluvs I liked folding a baby washcloth in half and laying that in to increase absorbency.

happylizzz
06-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks for all of the input! I am registering with Amazon.com so I am limited in the options available, but will definitely read more about the Thirsties Duo wrap. I will be rounding out my stash (well I am hoping people help me build it... haha) with our budget after my showers... and probably spending a lot at Green Mountain Diapers. :) This is just my starter wish list with limited choices.

Thanks for all the input, seriously... I finally feel like I am "getting it!" :D

keeper4ever
06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I second the Thirsties Duo wrap. I use it with my fitteds and with prefolds. I love how versatile it is, and I've used it since DD2 was about 2 weeks old, about 8lbs.

Waterlogged
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
If you want some AIOs, the BG elementals (AKA organic AIOs) are great. I've seen the Thirsties duos on Amazon. I'd also add in some PFs.

I personally got so that I *hated* pockets...

If you have a Target registry, they have BGs on their website - if you register for them, it used to be that you could get 10% off when you decided to "complete" your registry....

After copious amounts of research, my DH also went with the sprayer from Potty Pail (over the BG sprayer or others). He was also worried about the plastic parts.

holmama
06-18-2011, 02:23 AM
for what it's worth, I started out by sampling several different systems including the Bumgenius 4.0s. I just didn't like them. Then a friend out west was using Grovia so I got a slightly used one off Ebay. Now we have 12! hahahaha I am selling the Bumgenius' and going totally Grovia.

bec28
06-18-2011, 04:15 AM
I have the thirsties duo wraps. I think you saw them the other day? If not, I can show you the two different sizes next time you come over :)

delightedmama
06-21-2011, 05:56 AM
I've found our BumGenius hook & loop to work great for other people (grandparents and even DH), but I don't like them. :shrug3

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to switch to Chinese prefolds + wool covers or Thirsties covers. I agree with the suggestion that you start with a basic stash and add as you discover what you like.

We've cloth diapered with the BGs since her birth but had no problems starting with just 15 (we launder every other day though: small machine + hang drying only) and getting 6 more BGs (snap this time) 8 months later when it was winter and they were taking too long to dry -- it would have been sufficient to just get extra inserts but I didn't think of that in advance :O