PDA

View Full Version : How many covers do you have?

Domina
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm sort of the CD guru in my neighborhood and have converted lots and lots of people to using CDs. Mostly Flips, because those are my favorite diapers of all time, and I like having an army of Flip-using minions. :giggle

When helping people start their stashes, I usually instruct (er, advise) them to get 3 covers and 9 inserts for every day they would like to not do laundry. So if they launder every other day, they need 6 covers and 18 inserts. My friend tells me this is overkill, and that I should lower that number so people know how inexpensively they can get started. :think

Which made me curious. How many covers do you have? I will be honest...I have 11.

Barefoot Bookworm
06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
A lot. I want to say like 18? :lol I *do* have three kids who use diapers though (2 full time, 1 only for bed). I usually ended up changing the cover at least 2 times a day per child because of a poop.

NeshamaMama
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not familiar with Flips - are they a hybrid system, or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, we started out using just prefolds and covers and we only had 3 or 4 covers. It worked fine for us, we washed every other day and I can't imagine needing more than 4 covers for 2 days.

Eventually I bought more because I started getting addicted to CDing :shifty and my grandmother started knitting us wool covers, etc. so I have a lot now, probably 8 or 9 in her current size? You definitely don't need that many though.

BabyMonsterMommy
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
12 PUL covers, 36 inserts, 6 woolies, 24 prefolds, 4 pockets for swimming.

19 month old twin boys.

Domina
06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not familiar with Flips - are they a hybrid system, or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, we started out using just prefolds and covers and we only had 3 or 4 covers. It worked fine for us, we washed every other day and I can't imagine needing more than 4 covers for 2 days.

Eventually I bought more because I started getting addicted to CDing :shifty and my grandmother started knitting us wool covers, etc. so I have a lot now, probably 8 or 9 in her current size? You definitely don't need that many though.

Yes, the Flips are a hybrid system. We've got the Stay dry inserts, which are microfiber pads, and the Organic inserts, which are a thick jersey cotton prefold. I use those or regular Indian cotton prefolds inside the Flip covers. Basically, I'll use anything absorbent. I much prefer the way Flip covers fit and feel, compared to other covers I've tried.

fancypig
06-09-2011, 01:48 AM
I think that is totally reasonable. We have 5 flip and 2 econobum covers. We use fitteds most of the time, especially when anticipating poop. I only use the flip inserts when it will just be pee. Otherwise I would totally need more covers!
Posted via Mobile Device

RosalieMarie
06-09-2011, 04:24 AM
I probably have 12 or so, but I only use 6 or 7 of them.

BeckaBlue
06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
I've now got 4 pul covers, but i have at least 20-30 wools
of course less than 2wks after i got those pul covers, she's decided PL would be a good thing :giggle

oh, for the baby i have 5 that should fit right away. 3 econobum (maybe those wont though?) and 2 xs thirsties, but ill be using wool as well

trustingGod2
06-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I have 10+ but I have 2 girls in them and wash only 2x a week

Dovenoir
06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I have 4 covers and 2 pockets. I do laundry every 3rd day and rinse covers as needed. Although I've been finding my covers have a scent to them that I'm not pleased with.

NewLeaf
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
I have 7- one of which is still NIP because I haven't needed it. I also use pockets more than half of the time and wash every 3rd day.

When I first started with ds1 I only had 3 covers and a couple pockets and washed every other day. Don't know how I got away with that!

JenLovie
06-09-2011, 06:59 AM
We have 4 covers in his current size. I mostly use pockets because we have a ton of them, but I'm working to build up our fitted stash. Since I only use covers part time, I really only need 2.

twentysixcats
06-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I have 6 covers. I think I mentally do 1 cover for 4 prefolds, but it really depends on how much your baby poops. For my daughter, I have to change the cover for every BM. But she only has one - maybe two - a day.

Someone told me they use three covers - they switch on and off between two during the day, and have one for the night. I think you could get by with 4-5 covers, but my experience is also with a post-solids baby (and not an EBF baby).

Actually, on a second thought - it's nice to have at least one extra cover that you always keep in your diaper bag. (I keep my Flip cover there because it's my least favorite. :giggle)