PDA

View Full Version : Getting a rash from cloth?

JustMandy
06-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Ds has been CDed almost all his life. For the past month or more he's had a rash. We have trouble with yeast and allergies so I worked on it. Then last week, we used sposies for a couple days and the rash nearly went away.

Here's the details:
I use prefolds and PUL covers. I've not changed laundry detergant (all free and clear) vinegar rinse, oxyclean and very occasionally calgon. I have been sunning them. Thinking they may not be getting enough soap, (I usually fill to the 1 line) I started adding a little more and running them through extra rinses now and again.

Can I bleach them? I have bleached the prefolds once or twice before for stains. I don't want to do it often but don't mind it a couple times a year. Should I strip them? If so, which method?

How do I strip PUL?

mipennsn
06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
PUL covers shouldn't need stripped.

I just switched back to cloth and am having issues with my aio's and pockets. I have some RLR I am going to try to use to strip them. I got it before we moved because we had horrible water at our old house (well, now on city water).

Ds is getting rashy from all the junk in them (mostly microfiber, may stuff with prefolds the ones I can stuff.)

Domina
06-08-2011, 05:14 AM
I'd bleach the prefolds. Sometimes diapers just start holding onto bacteria and need a little tough love.

AngelaVA
06-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Yes you can bleach them, just use a few tablespoons full at most though. If that doesn't work I would guess that they have detergent buildup and need to be stripped. A lot of people do dawn for this, I prefer generous amounts of white vinegar in a hot wash to be followed by several rinses until they are no suds in the water at all. Personally I've had PUL covers that have gotten buildup on the leg gussets after a lot of use.

JustMandy
06-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Personally I've had PUL covers that have gotten buildup on the leg gussets after a lot of use.

His rash is around the leg gussets and his waist. So I think the covers need stripping.

I think he's got a couple things going on which makes it harder to figure out. He has eczema from exposure to allergens, maybe thrush and then rash from the dipes. I'm trying to attack from all sides. ;)