PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a baby that can't wear CDs?

Lily2584
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Or is there something else I should be doing?

I wash our CDs in Free & Clear detergent. I've stripped them with Dawn and white vinegar. I've run them through numerous cycles with just super, super hot water and dd STILL gets a rash. If I keep her in sposies exclusively or just use CDs sparingly, she is rash free. Is there such a thing as a baby that can't wear cloth?

Rabbit
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe. What kind of cloth are you using?

My daughter was my strictly cloth diapered babe, because she couldn't tolerate -anything- but cotton and hemp under wool. No PUL for her. Turned out she has a genetic skin disorder. My boys can wear anything, cloth or paper.

Waterlogged
05-24-2011, 10:15 PM
My kid is rash-prone regardless of what we put on her. :shrug3

Lily2584
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
The CDs are cotton.

Would organic material make a difference? :think

Lady Grey
05-24-2011, 10:19 PM
My older DS could only wear pocket diapers when he was a baby, not even a fleece liner over prefolds or fitteds would work. And I also had to use Tide Free instead of the natural detergents I had used successfully with DD. But yes, before I figured that all out it seemed like only disposables were working for him.

GlobalMama
05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Perhaps she has an irritation to coconut oil. Boy I do and if my panties were washed in them, I'd be a mess. Trust me, I've been there and done that. :-(

A lot of free and clear detergents use coconut oil. I learned the hard way after a horrid rash in every sensitive part of my body after using ECOS free and clear.

ArmsOfLove
05-24-2011, 11:51 PM
what brand is your detergent? (not sure if Free n Clear is a brand because I'm getting different brands using that "name") I'm horribly allergic to Tide and I can't imagine a free and clear version would make much difference.

Is there a yeast problem? Could that be the rash? If so, it might be from having warm dampness on the skin.

I don't believe there are babies who can't wear cloth--but I do believe there are many factors involved in cloth that can impact the whole issue.

Lily2584
05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
It's Purex brand. I don't think it's yeast... how would I tell? Desitin clears it up everytime if that helps :shrug

I will have to check for the coconut oil.

mamacat
05-25-2011, 04:29 AM
If she is fair and has sensitive skin the wet cotton may just be too rough.

AngelaVA
05-25-2011, 04:40 AM
My daughter was my strictly cloth diapered babe, because she couldn't tolerate -anything- but cotton and hemp under wool. No PUL for her. Turned out she has a genetic skin disorder.

This is how my daughter is too, only cotton and wool. No synthetics, no sposies either.

I'm curious what skin disorder your DD has Rabbit. I'm always stressed about what's going to touch my DD2's skin and how she'll react to it. They used some medical tape on her arm last week at the dentist, it was only there for 3 hours and she still has a bad rash from it. She has one coat she can't wear or she gets a rash - ect.

MomtoJGJ
05-25-2011, 04:44 AM
I do not believe that babies can't wear cloth... disposables haven't been around that long :)

Do you use desitin with your cloth diapers? It will build up on them.

When you strip your diapers do you wash them until there are no more suds?

I always heard not to use free and clear det with cloth diapers because they aren't good for baby's skin... have you tried to use a regular det? We use the "mountain fresh" Member's Mark brand from Sam's and other than having to strip once a year or so it has always worked great.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

They used some medical tape on her arm last week at the dentist, it was only there for 3 hours and she still has a bad rash from it.

I'm allergic to adhesive on bandaids and medical tape. DD4 is too... The worst part of recovering from my gall bladder surgery was the tape they put on the sutures... I couldn't take it off and I forgot to tell them before hand that I was allergic to it :doh

mamacat
05-25-2011, 05:39 AM
Sound slike she has really sensitive skin. I had some wonderful CD that were flannel inserts.Maybe the smoother material would be less irritating? Some free and clears can get kind of gummy but not Purex in my experience.I personally would not try a deterg. with dyes and perfumes if she is that sens.

Lily2584
05-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Not fair :no She has dh's Italian coloring. In fact I took ds and dd on a short walk the other day (like maybe 45 min). The sun wasn't superbright, but when we got back ds's fair skin was pink and dd's was already showing signs of turning into the start of a lovely tan.

I don't use Desitin because of build-up. I also have always heard to not use detergent with dyes/perfumes because of the same thing :scratch

Yeah, I always wash until the suds are completely gone when I strip them.