PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting cloth info together for my SIL

Lady Grey
05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
My SIL want to use cloth with #4 :woohoo and is coming over on Wednesday to look at my stash. We have emailed a little and I know she wants something that is simple/streamlined. I suggested either prefolds/wraps or onesize pocket diapers and I'm pretty sure she is leaning towards the pockets. Anyway, on to my questions.... I need help with the following information.....

1. Rash creams - what is safe to use with pockets that she can buy at a regular store?

2. Detergent - I plan to suggest Rockin Green, but what is a detergent she can buy at the grocery store that works well with pockets? (inexpensive would be great)

3. Pails - Trying to find a frugal option. I have always used hanging pails, but that is around $40 upfront for two. Unlined trashcan? Something else?

Lady Grey
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
:bump

mommy2abigail
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
1. She can use coconut oil on CD's, and I believe it is available at most grocery stores. She won't need to use it all the time though...or she can use liners cut from scraps of t shirts or fleece to protect the diapers when using cream. NO destine or those type of creams.
2. We use Eco's detergent, which I buy at Sam's, but I have seen it at Walmart too...about $10 for a big jug. I only use that for CD's and have needed two jugs in the seven months I've been CDing dd3.
3. I use a stainless steel trashcan, and a liner I made out of fleece. If you have ANY sewing skills, like being able to sew a zig zag stitch, you can very easily make one. Fleece doesn't run when you cut it, so you basically cut a big rectangle and fold it over, and sew up the side and across the bottom, make sense? Or if not, just use a plastic trash can and wash it out when you throw the CDs in to wash.

Hope that helps!

klpmommy
05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I use Arm & Hammar on my diapers. It doesn't take very much per load so it lasts a *long* time. I'll check exactly which one I use in a minute. Poke me if I forget. ;)

oh, I rarely need diaper cream with cloth. :shrug

JenLovie
05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
We use a trash can with a PUL liner. She should be able to find them for about $14/liner (we have 2) or she could make her own with PUL from Joann's.

Mommainrwanda
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
On question #1: I find that using cloth makes diaper cream much less necessary. Because of the breathability rashes don't develop as quickly. I just use coconut oil or a few squirts of California Baby Diaper Area Wash (available at Target) if she's getting red.

Can't help with detergents.

We just use a big wet bag for our dirty dipes. Haven't had problems with odor yet although we're just now getting into toddler poops. :shrug3

twentysixcats
05-17-2011, 09:15 PM
1. rash creams - I use California Baby, but you are supposed to use a liner no matter what kind of detergent you use (I don't always! :hiding).
2. detergent - Here is a great breakdown of detergents that RDIA has on their website: http://detergent.realdiaperindustry.org/detergentByName.php . I currently am using BioKleen because I can get it locally. I know some people swear by Tide, and others say it messed up their diapers. I think it might depend on the kind of diapers - prefolds are much more forgiving than others, especially synthetic fibers.
3. pails - I bought a kitchen trash can at Walmart and use a planet wise pail liner that I got from an online retailer. Both work great.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but here is a blog post I wrote on the subject: http://twentysixcats.com/ blog/2011/05/01/cloth-diapering-accessories/

NewLeaf
05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Cream: (http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm) California Baby is suppose to be okay and they have it at Target.

I have never heard the coconut oil thing. How is oil not bad for the diapers?

Detergent: Purex F&C unscented is at most grocery stores, we've used it for 2 years with no problem.

Pail: PUL liner (we have the Planet wise one) and a trash can. :yes We got a trashcan with a lid at Container Store because I wanted something air tight (not a swinging lid or anything) and couldn't find one at the grocery stores.