PDA

View Full Version : i'm really unhappy with our diapering system - please troubleshoot with me.

Chaos Coordinator
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
okay. i have nearly 200 diapers. here is what i know:

my husband does not like dealing with toddler poop. i can't blame him. we have a diaper sprayer, but the water pressure is never right - it either dribbles out, or blasts the poop so hard that bits go flying all over the bathroom.

so he's been in mainly disposables since i got pregnant.

every time i do a sniff test, all i get is a whiff of chemicals :sick

right now available in my stash of toddler dipes, i have pockets - can't wear PUL in the texas summer heat, prefolds - he pees a stream through them, and velour-lined fitteds - no big issues :woohoo except for my husband hating toddler poop.

so here is what i'm thinking...hybrids? something that can easily convert back n forth from cloth (for when i'm diapering) to disposable (for when dh is diapering) - are gDiapers the only dipes like this? H had an issue with them, i am not sure if they were just the wrong size or if he was reacting to the material/velcro, but his hips broke out in a bubbly rash. looking back i was thinking maybe he just needed a larger size? technically he was still within the right weight range but he was a little fatty :giggle

what else is out there? can anyone help get us away from full time sposies?

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

aside from perhaps the most obvious - dh uses sposies, i use cloth, because for some reason that just seems way too incongruous for me.

klpmommy
05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I use both. Whatever I feel like that day is what I do. And when anyone else diapers R it is a disposable. We go through disposables really slow that way.

I've had R in PUL or wool liners. :shrug I don't think it is that different than a disposable heat wise.

Chaos Coordinator
05-13-2011, 05:03 PM
H can't do PUL in summer. i'm speaking from experience.

bec28
05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Disposable liners for poo?

Katigre
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Disposable liners for poo?
Do you have Imse Vimse toddler liners? I have never used a diaper sprayer, but toddler poop wasn't bad if there was a liner in the diaper :yes. Just roll it off into the toilet, no problem.

Waterlogged
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
How close is H to PLing? Do you think he would poop-train?

What about getting a pail for on top of the toilet? DH rigged up something like this http://www.pottypail.com/learn.php (look at the bucket contraption that goes on top of the toilet) and we never had poopy water all over the place....

I think Grovia makes disposable inserts - that's another hybrid option.

Chaos Coordinator
05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
i DO have liners!

:think

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

that just might work :yes

CapeTownMommy
05-13-2011, 10:50 PM
:yes liners are a great solution. In fact I won't CD without them :bag

Quiteria
05-13-2011, 10:58 PM
another thought...wonder if the g-diaper inserts would work inside a different cover, one that you know doesn't give a rash...I've never seen them up close to know

Mommainrwanda
05-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Ah! I just found a roll of liners yesterday. The Urchin is *just* getting toddler poops and that little roll of paper liners looked like my new best friend (when we don't do an EC catch). :lightbulb

RedPetals
05-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I would suggest liners too. DH loves them and will happily CD DD when we have them.:clap

LadyofReason
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
We use liners too. I make them from fleece or old t-shirts, but disposable liners would probably work better for your DH. :)

Kailie
05-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Flip can do both. I haven't used them myself but I have friends that LOVE it

Chaos Coordinator
05-15-2011, 04:32 PM
i was also playing with the gro-via system at our local diaper shop.

but for now i think we're good with me using cloth dipes whenever we are at home, then whenever we are out or dh is in charge he can wear the huggies.

i dont know why that seemed soooo impossible a few days ago. pardon me yall. i'm just too pregnant right now to be sensible, i suppose.

Domina
05-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Flips can use cloth or disposable inserts. We save the disposable for grandma's house or in the VERY rare instances we need to use diaper rash cream. But I :heart Bumkins flushable liners and always use them with our cloth inserts. Also, I save the (thick, nice) Huggies wipes that accidentally go through the wash and use those as liners. Just my little recycling trick.