PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Diaper troubleshooting...

SalH
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
We have had TERRIBLE problems with stinky nappies (sorry i thought I'd try to say diapers but I just can't get in that habit so you are going to have to put up with me!!!!). The ammonia released from the nappies once they were wet or soiled was horrendous, and caused DD ammonia burn nappy rash. Her rash was so bad once it started we eventually gave up on cloth and she's been in disposables for about 16 of her 20 months on this planet so far!

I hadn't heard of stripping nappies so I read a bit on here and decided to venture back into cloth (DD is baby #4 and the others were all cloth inc overnight with only occasional holidays into disposables for whatever reason).

Anyway, I had motherease one size nappies for the boys and by the time baby #3 was toilet trained, they were pretty much threadbare in places and very worn!! I still have them, they still "work" but they've seen better days. Well, better bottoms!!! (But they are as smelly as the others turned out to be, possibly worse. We had very hard water in the UK so that may be part of the problem although I have tried as hard as I can to rescue those nappies).

I can't get motherease as easily here, and so I tried an Aussie brand, Baby Beehinds. Soon enough we had this ammonia problem. Didn't matter how much I washed them, and I line dry all the time. (Unfortunately in this house my line is under the carport so they dont' get direct sun any more).

I have washed them all twice before going back into cloth. First wash - no detergent or just a bit, I can't remember. Then vinegar. I did them on a 60 wash I think cos I was worried about wrecking them on a 90 wash. I then did them on an entire cycle without anything in the machine, and there were no bubbles in the rinsing water.

My machine is new, and seems much better at washing than the last one. I never felt the last one rinsed anything properly, i reckon it was definitely a design fault. This one is much better (both front loaders).

So far, few washes in, so good. Then we are back tothe ammonia problem again! Yesterday when I washed them I did a double wash - extra rinse and vinegar (with detergent and booster and soak) in the first wash (I use an Aussie brand called "Dominant") and then just a proper light soil full cotton wash for the second one with vinegar only.

They smelt of nothing when I got them in off the line. \0/ They smell pretty innocent when they are only wet too. So I seem to have managed to get the ones I've done like this back to normal. I can't do a double wash permanently though.

Do you think dry pailing isn't such a fantastic idea? My mum always goes on about how she thinks I should soak them. I can't think of anything worse, although I admit I used to soak them in water with essential oils in it with my first!!!!

I am also wondering if the length of time they are dry pailed makes a difference? I have a bigger machine and had been waiting for a big enough load to do, and I only have one in cloth atm, whereas for a long time I have always had 2 children sharing nappies. NExt baby usually born before first is out of nappies, and so the cycle continues!

I was going to ask about Rockin Green. I can get it through the nappy demo lady I am seeing next week about new baby beehinds (cos I only have 10 and I think I need all new nappies and get rid of the beloved motherease once and for all :( ). Tell me about Rockin Green. Why is it meant to be so good and does it help with these issues?

My plan might be to do a rinse cycle first with the dirty nappies in the machine (but that's a 60 min cycle) then do a 60 wash with not too much detergent and also a decent amount of vinegar. Or do you think I should just do an ordinary extra soiled wash with the detergent, and then a separate rinse with vinegar after that?

AngelaVA
04-27-2011, 05:04 PM
How many rinses? do you think you have enough water in the load? The diapers need more water circulating than your average load of laundry if you are doing a large load of diapers it may be not enough water getting in with the diapers.

I use vinegar but it goes detergent wash, then rinse, then vinegar, then rinse. Oh and a fair amount of vinegar too, at least 1/2 cup.

I think a wet pail would make it worse :think

I am one of those who is not afraid to use a little bleach if my diapers are having trouble, it's a fractional, fractional amount of chlorine compared to what you would use in sposies.

SalH
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
My previous machine definitely didn't use enough water for my liking. This one also has a high water efficiency rating but it circulates the water better throughout the wash, and I can acutally see the water in the drum (which is better than the last!!). It's a front loader so I can't tell it how much water to use, but I can use it on "extra rinse" and I can also tell it that the washing is heavily soiled, so I suppose those are things that may affect how it uses the water.

Also putting less in because this one doesn't use less water for a lighter load, which the other did - clever sensor which knew it was a half wash. So I can beat it a bit by not filling it as much. Which as I don't really have enough nappies isn't difficult!

I've decided on a wash first, vinegar rinse afterwards with today's load (that'll take me to over 3 hrs washing time as it is!) so will see how that goes.

Eesti
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Have you thought about the possibility that you aren't using enough detergent?

SalH
04-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Yes definitely using enough. I've had more success with them since using less and rinsing more... I had never heard of stripping them till I read about it on here a while ago and it's since stripping them they have become useable again, but the problem came back in a few washes.

Eesti
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I had the same problem that would come and go w/stripping but then I just washed with more detergent...like the same amount I would use to wash clothes and it went away.

twentysixcats
04-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I had this same problem. I was so excited to try the Rockin Green, but it made my daughter's bottom get soooo red and rashy. After stripping my diapers, it was better so no more Rockin Green for me!

Still had stink issues though. Our water is horrible - we live in an old house and the pipes are falling apart. You can see the rust and minerals in the water. I read that microfiber holds onto minerals in the water really tightly, so I switched to natural fibers (cotton). I haven't had any rash issues since I switched. Not sure if that helps, but it's what worked for me!