PDA

View Full Version : is borax safe?

WildFlower
04-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Is 20 mule team borax safe for use on Bum Genius? I have been having stink issues and have tried everything else, but don't want to ruin or hurt my diapers either. I did use bleach and they were smelling great....for about a week!:-/I tried using a very small scoop of borax with my laundry detergent (less than 1/4 cup) and they came out smelling CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! But I called cotton babies and they said borax was like a "natural soap" and could cause build up issues:scratch... but what I have read about borax is that it is NOT a soap at all and only helps boost the detergent...kinda like calgon.
I've only used it 2 x but wonder if I should stop or not...Anyone have any issues using borax? did it cause repelling issues, build up or rashes??
Thanks!

Learnin'2B
04-26-2011, 11:14 PM
When I used borax, I had a buildup and it gave a rash and ammonia odor.

Now I use Charlies Soap with a little Oxyclean and a vinegar rinse and there is none of that.

So that would be a cold wash cycle with no soap, followed by an oxyclean/charlies soap cycle, then a cold wash cycle with just vinegar added.

Eesti
04-28-2011, 08:27 PM
If it is working for you I would use it. I used to make my own detergent and borax was a major ingredient. I used it on my dipes.

Serafine
04-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Borax is a component of my homemade regular laundry detergent...but not for my diapers. Borax is a pretty harsh substance and WILL tear up the fibers sooner than not using it.

My homemade dipe detergent has washing soda, baking soda, and oxygen bleach (oxyclean or similar).