PDA

View Full Version : Just came "out of the closet" with AP

Christina+5
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I just "dropped the bomb" on Facebook that I have changed my parenting style from "spank for every "offense" " to AP. :hunh

I also just told my parents (major spankers) who are coming to my house from out of town today. :nails Mom wants to "talk" about it when she gets here out of "concern" for my kids and their spiritual well-being.

This might be challenging.

mom2afew
04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
do you have a copy of biblical parenting they can read? or you could get them to read things on the website. praying it goes smoothly for you!

bolt.
04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Repeat after me:

"I understand that opinon, and the reasons for it. I just don't share it."

"That's not what I think. I have a different opinion / interpretation, and I am confident in it."

"I hear that you are concerned. I hope you will be able to handle your strong feelings about this issue."

DO NOT get sucked into an arument about which opinion is the best/wisest/most Biblical. The more you try to prove that yours is, the more she will try to prove hers, and it will only upset you both.

After a few "we differ -- deal with it" comments, she will probably prompt you to "share your ideas then". Let her know that you will share, if she is interested in listening for interest's sake, but you are not going to argue or defend your ideas against other ideas.

everydaygrace
04-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Wow, that took courage. Will be thinking of you. :hug2

Elyse221
04-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I admire your courage! I agree with the pp about not getting sucked into an argument. If you are raising your children differently from how they did, they will most certainly take it personally and a rational discussion is not likely.

DoulaClara
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Head up, shoulders back, and just be. You're their mama, you know what you want to accomplish, and just like every other parent on planet Earth, you will pound your own path, and it will be just fine; because you will be thoughtfully assessing yourself rather than forcing power struggles just for the sheer fearful heck of it. Courage! Strength! Just simply be. :heart :pray4

Maggirayne
04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I meant to post this thread about Bean-Dipping (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=392705) this earlier. I hope it helps.

Mokek Kwe
04-22-2011, 08:29 PM
kudos to you for being honest to yourself and to others about yourself. I think in the long-run you will be happy you "came out of the closet", even though not everyone "approves". (Hint: no one will ever always approve ;))

prayers that your mom can accept gracefully that you've chosen a different path than she chose for herself.

Karen
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Good for you momma! I especially encourage you to bean dip if you are rather new to GBD. When we are new, it is so exciting and you want to share with everyone but if you don't have a firm footing people can get you all turned around and it is upsetting. Give yourself lost of grace and pass that bean dip!

lecialefty
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
:highfive Way to go. I haven't done that though, I figure it's a need to know basis for us. Dh and I need to know - and that's it! :giggle