PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a cloth diapered newborn?

Persinette
04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
My niece was born last week and I still need to send her a present! Her mom (my SIL) cloth diapers her and her sister, and I would really like to get her something useful for the baby (this is SILs third so she has plenty of toys, clothes, etc. already). I'd really like it to be a surprise and I know in the past my SIL has appreciated diapers and diapering supplies, but the problem is, I'm not really sure where to begin. I think she has enough diapers themselves and not having any kids of my own yet, I'm not super well versed in what would be useful. Any suggestions?

raining_kisses
04-17-2011, 08:39 PM
a cute wet bag? Do you know what system she is using?

Mommainrwanda
04-18-2011, 05:09 AM
I second the wet bag idea! Someone gave us a diaper bag sized wet bag with the Urchin's name embroidered on it and I love it.

I'd also suggest:
-Cloth wipes (you can make them out of flannel or fleece.)
-Paper diaper liners for when the baby starts solids
-Coconut oil for rashes
-Plastic container with hinged lid for pre-moistened wipes.

mamamonkey
04-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Wet bag is a good idea. So are wipes (if you aren't a sewing type, I love WAHMIEs wipes). I used EarthMama AngelBaby Baby Bottom Balm for rashes when DS was a baby and in cloth.

Oh, oh, what about a cute embroidered cover with baby's name? Even if she doesn't use a system that uses covers, she can always put it over a AIO! And, fluffy, cute girly bottoms are too cute!! (this from the mom of a boy :wink)

Persinette
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you so much! These ideas are super helpful.

I know I've purchased a bum genius diaper for my older niece in the past so I think that's their main brand, but my SIL also sews a lot of her own diapers and uses diapers sewn by some of her friends too.

This is probably a silly question (but again, I have pretty much zero diapering experience, cloth or otherwise), but would the type of wet bag matter at all as far as diaper brand/style is concerned, like are their certain bags that would just be too small for certain brands?

thanks!

Naked Camper
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
how about a wool diaper cover - like some shorties or skirty

itzj
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Or a fleece cover. I love my dancing bears night soaker. Nothing gets past those.

holmama
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
babylegs!!! I love em :D
not sure if we are allowed to include website addresses? (new, don't know all the rules) but it's just babylegs dot com

Mommainrwanda
04-18-2011, 11:27 PM
This is probably a silly question (but again, I have pretty much zero diapering experience, cloth or otherwise), but would the type of wet bag matter at all as far as diaper brand/style is concerned, like are their certain bags that would just be too small for certain brands?

Not a silly question at all :) My monogrammed wet bag is approx 12"x8" and I can usually fit 2-3 Bumgenius in there. I use it while we're out of the house and I've not ever had more dirties than that so it works great. I've also found the BG dipes to be a bit on the bulky side so if she sews her own diapers I'm sure she could fit even more.

SalH
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
If she has 3 children already, I'd say also getting her some clothes for the baby that are cloth diaper friendly would be a beautiful and thoughtful idea. I have loved getting clothes for the newborn when it was 3rd and 4th baby, cos everyone assumes you don't need anything but actually the clothes though lovely are a bit worn by then. Plus on top of that, clothes that fit over cloth bottoms and are good quality, are hard to come by in that they aren't cheap so you tend to make do.

Someone in the US will have to recommend clothes for cloth bottoms but I think unless you've got your gift sorted by now, that would really bless her in addition to any other plans you have. :)

blagosloven
04-27-2011, 07:36 PM
I second this idea! Hanna Andersson makes 'Wiggle Pants' that are perfectly sized for cloth diapered bums. I agree with the other suggestions of baby legwarmers or a knitted soaker outfit. I'd love to get a gift like that! :D