PDA

View Full Version : What age for deodorant?

3boysforme
04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
So I am picking some clothes today, and found a shirt of ds1's. I sniffed it because he has a habit of takings things out of the drawer and leaving it on the floor, anyway I sniffed and OH MY!! It smelled like serious BO.

He is only 6! Surely that is too young for deodorant?

ValiantJoy07
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
:think

I would vote just bathe daily...Kids get stinky some times, especially if they tend to sweat a lot/be very active. I wouldn't do deodorant until it's becoming noticeable when you're around them, and even then I'd go with Tom's all natural stuff.

allisonintx
04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
It also helps to remind them that "getting wet isn't bathing" They often need reminders to use soap on their stinky parts.

lovewins
04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Some of my sisters needed deodorant by 6 or 7 years old.

blessedwithboys
04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Is he using soap directly on his armpits daily? My ds needs to use soap daily, but we haven't had any B.O. that requires deodorant. Most of my friends' sons have started deodorant around 3rd grade (8-9 years old). It's possible that he does need deodorant, but I'd try ensuring proper washing to see if that works first. I still stand on the other side of the shower curtain and kind of "walk him through" the washing steps.

3boysforme
04-02-2011, 07:18 PM
We are daily bathers over here :yes It is entirely too humid to not be.

He still bathes with his younger brother so I do walk him through the steps of washing and remind him to get the underarms.

He isn't like stinking up the room (yet :shifty), but I was so shocked to smell BO on his shirt! I was not prepared for it at all. I thought it would be 3 more years before BO.

My mom bought him a stick of Degree, I was thinking he is too young for it but he wanted to use it. I may go and get him some Toms or something more natural.

allisonintx
04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Yea, I'd get him some Toms :yes rather than the aluminum stuff. I'm not opposed to the aluminum, but six is awfully young for it.

FaithHopeLove
04-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I think dc was seven when dc started having to use deoderant. Tom's of Maine Long Lasting works great! Most of the other natural ones were a waste of $$.

emerald
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
This one has worked better for us than Tom's: http://www.iherb.com/Home-Health-Herbal-Magic-Roll-On-Deodorant-Herbal-Scent-3-fl-oz-89-ml/6466?at=0

jay
04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
BO can also be tied in with diet - maybe just make sure he's not eating a lot of processed food/spices and getting plenty of fresh fruit and veg and lots of water. My .02c

3boysforme
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
BO can also be tied in with diet - maybe just make sure he's not eating a lot of processed food/spices and getting plenty of fresh fruit and veg and lots of water. My .02c

You are probably right, he eats a very high starch/carb diet. If you can come and figure out a way to get a fruit or veggie into the boy, I may become your biggest fan :giggle.

The amusement has worn off and he had forgotten about the deodorant lol.