PDA

View Full Version : EC, how to catch a poo...

WildFlower
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
So over the last few days the peeing on the potty has clicked with DD somehow. I take her after her naps and in the morning and she will pee when I make the cue sound Psss. I have also randomly taken her and during the day and she always "tries " to go and usually squeezes out a few drops for me even if she really didn't need to go very much! I accidentally caught a poo yesterday when I put her on the potty to pee. But since then when I have caught her grunting and trying to go in her diaper, I will hold her over the potty and she'll laugh and smile but won't go. Then I put a diaper back on, and maybe 30 minutes later she goes in her diaper! So how do I get her to go on the potty for a poo??

notjustashley
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
i by no means feel like an expert on this...

...but in the past few days, i have caught two (!) poos from my 10 1/2 month old. same as you, i use her grunting cue to know she's ready and then rush her off to the toilet. while i hold her, i make a gentle grunting sound like she does and copy the look on her face when she's pushing. it takes a second for it to register and then she copies. and pushes. and poos in the toilet (!).

i don't consider myself an ec-er. i caught the first one because i was letting her be naked-bottom for a little while in between diapers, at my mom's house. she was playing fine and then came the grunting... i did not want to deal with cleaning up poo on my mom's carpet, so i whisked her away to the bathroom and held her on the toilet.
i am loving the prospect of no more poopy diapers. not sure how long it will take me to get serious about it, but am thinking we'll be giving it a go.

hope this was helpful :) good luck with your little one!

Stiina
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to send encouragement. :hug
How long are you leaving her on the potty? I know I've waited up to 15 minutes holding DS over the sink to poop.

swimming with sharks
03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
You've got to give them time to 'get in their groove' which often has to be reset if you've picked them up and undressed them in the middle of obvious I gotta go noise. :yes We do fun songs, read books while ds2 is hanging out on the potty. Now at a year, he'll willingly hang out on the potty if he feels like he needs to. Sometimes I think he's done and whisk him off the potty and he starts signing MORE and yelling about it. I put him back on the potty and he gets quiet and smiles. :tu

WingsOfTheMorning
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
You've got to give them time to 'get in their groove' which often has to be reset if you've picked them up and undressed them in the middle of obvious I gotta go noise.

This. I think sometimes I was so eager to get the poop in the potty that I almost scared her out of that urge to go. :shifty It really helped us if I was really calm as I took her to the potty. Also, trying to keep a couple Baby Bjorns around as well as using the toilet or sink in the bathroom so that we never had to go very far. You could even try just taking off her diaper and holding her in arms over it to poop and then transition to the potty once that's working.