PDA

View Full Version : Wash and dry new dipes 5+ times?

mommychem
03-13-2011, 03:42 PM
I've been lurking here the last month and I finally took the plunge into cloth:rockon. I'm so excited but of course as a newbie, I have a few questions. Here we go...

I know clothe diapers need to be washed several times to become absorbent. Does this mean wash 5 times in a row? Or wash then dry, wash then dry...?

Is a prefold a prefold a prefold? I had every intention of ordering from GMD. I've learned so much from the site and still plan to order covers or something just as an expression of my gratitude. However, I was searching craigslist and discovered that a mom opened a cd storefront in December not even 5 minutes from my house. And since I try to support local businesses, especially Christian mamas, I decided to buy from her. She carries bumkins pfs and econobum. I figured since I was just starting my stash, I'd get some of each. Anybody have experience with these? I figure either they'll be good enough that I won't know what I'm missing wrt GMD or LL pfs, or frustrating to the point that they will become backups.

I have two in dipes - 7 week old at 12 lbs, 2 year old at 27 lbs. We've starting potty learning with DD1 so I did not want to get too much for her at one time. Here's the stash:

One econobum starter kit: 12 one size pf made in pakistan, 3 os covers, small wet bag
6 infant bumkins Indian pf
6 premium bumkins pf
1 os fuzzibuns
1 os flip
1 os bg 4.0
50 homemade tshirt and flannel wipes
17 gerber flats (burp clothes but could be dipes in an emergency I suppose)
1 toddler kushies cover
1 infant kushies cover
3 snappis
4 pins
2- 24 qt sterilite brand utility cans With covers and latches

I realize it's not enough for 2 dc so I'll continue to build after trying these out. I'm not a huge fan of synthetic fabric in general, so I probably won't be purchasing more fb or bg. I bought those just to try and Also for possible emergencies and day trips to grandma's. I suspect I'll eventually use wool covers. I need more infant/small covers. Looking at Thirsties.

Thoughts on the starter stash?

I have 2 large wetbags and about 5 small ones that we've acquired from being on vacation (free giveaways for swimsuits from cruise lines and resorts). They seem to be made of vinyl though. Can I hold my used dipes in the vinyl bags with no issues? I plan to wash them separately from the dipes...

Any nighttime recommendations with this stash? They both have many sposies leftover so I thought I'd stay with those until I get the hang of it during the day.

That's all for now. TIA!

RedPetals
03-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Fuzzi bunz and the BG 4.0 make great night time dipes. We use those, but stuff 2 hemp prefolds in front, because DD is a tummy sleeper who still nurses at night... so she leaks out the belly without the extra protection.

Your cotton diapers will need to be washed and then dried 5-6x. You can cut a few of those out by boiling instead. The bumkins & econobum prefolds should work great! I bought infant unbleached indian prefolds and still use them all the time trifolded into Flip covers. I even bought some at the consignment store... so i have no idea what brand they are, but they're great.

Synthetic fibers (microfiber like the FB & BG) do not need to be prepped. Just wash & dry once. Same for covers.

HTH and Good Luck!:heart

graceandmercy
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
I washed mine 5 times in a row then dried. I also did the boil with the blue Dawn on the stove top for my inserts for 10 min then washed them. I didn't do that with anything that was PUL or my Minky's, as I use pocket diapers.

mommychem
03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Synthetic fibers (microfiber like the FB & BG) do not need to be prepped. Just wash & dry once. Same for covers.

HTH and Good Luck!:heart

Thanks for mentioning this - I thought they needed the same prep!

Very helpful information; I appreciate both responses!:)

2sunshines
03-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Yep, not all diapers need the same prepping. Prefolds need the most prepping.

My fave prefolds are LL and GMD, tho I do have some other brands that have worked fine. :shrug3

Yes, you can definitely use the vinyl bags for your diapers. When I was at home, I would often just use plastic grocery bags to store my dirty diapers in. Or just a plastic pail without a liner (I found it just as easy to rinse/wash out the pail as it was to wash a liner). There are pretty much little to no hard and fast rules to dirty storage -- just figure what works best for you. :yes

As for the nighttime recs, it's going to be a matter of trial and error. Depends what diaper system you love most. I've done pockets with double inserts at night, I've done prefolds at night. I've done sposies at night. Just depends on what worked best for the child and for our family at the time. :heart

Serafine
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
I didn't prep my prefolds at all (except to wash and dry once, b/c I do that for anything I buy before babe wears it ;)).

They didn't absorb at their full capacity until they had been used 3-4 times, but it wasn't a big deal, and it saved a LOT of energy (the electricity/water involved in washing, drying, etc.)

2sunshines
03-16-2011, 05:51 AM
You can save the water/energy costs by boiling your prefolds before use. Super easy and super quick and substantially cheaper. :yes

Serafine
03-16-2011, 05:52 AM
You can save the water/energy costs by boiling your prefolds before use. Super easy and super quick and substantially cheaper. :yes

:yes, I thought of that too (I don't have a huge pot, so it would have taken several batches...I don't have time for that :no) ...but like I said, it worked out fine, and I didn't need to do either. :)

RedPetals
03-16-2011, 07:57 AM
I boiled hemp inserts and it worked wonderfully. Especially since hemp has to be washed alone while it's prepping. That seems like an extra waste.

It works super well for prefolds also. I boiled some prefolds that I bought used off of diaperswappers and at the consignment store... just to make them feel fresh.

I think the recommendation is 20-30 minutes. Then wash & dry once. But if you're doing the repeated washing method, they do need to go in the dryer in between washes.

We're having nighttime troubles right now. DD sleeps on her tummy and nurses at night. I have her in a medium Fuzzi Bunz with a hemp doubler behind the regular insert and another hemp doubler folded in half up front. It works *most* of the time. We just keep her in fleece pj's so that if she leaks the bed stays dry.

We've also had success with sizing up in disposables. Like PP said, it changes with what works for the kid and your family at the time. Most people suggest fitteds and wool (or a good prefold and wool) for overnight, whenever I've asked.

With what you have, I'd suggest double stuffing a pocket diaper (maybe with an infant prefold behind the reg insert?) and see how that goes. I found I didn't need to do anything extra at night for my baby until after 8 months or so.

For dirty storage, I have two of these (http://www.meijer.com/s/safety-1st-simple-step-diaper-pail/_/R-151428;jsessionid=540B7D231CA66C8F181681C725EA05A5 .instance03?CAWELAID=512021173&cmpid=goobase) that I bought at Kmart. I keep one in her room and one in the bathroom for poopy diapers that need to be dumped/sprayed. They work great with or without a pail liner (any pail liner or extra large wet bag or hanging wet bag will do!)

I think you'll do great! And save so much $$

mommychem
03-17-2011, 05:06 AM
I'm already having so much fun CDing! Plus I love going against the norm :rockon

AngelaVA
03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Is a prefold a prefold a prefold?

:no They vary hugely. I had two different kinds for awhile and the difference in texture and absorbancy of the GMD over the others was significant.

Wool is something you can often find used if you are wanting to save money trying it out.

I should sell my smaller wool but I can't bring myself to do it :blush

mommychem
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
:no They vary hugely. I had two different kinds for awhile and the difference in texture and absorbancy of the GMD over the others was significant.

Wool is something you can often find used if you are wanting to save money trying it out.

I should sell my smaller wool but I can't bring myself to do it :blush

:giggle
I think I will finish my intro stash with at least a dozen GMD reds. I'm also on the lookout for used wool.

2sunshines
03-18-2011, 04:44 AM
:giggle
I think I will finish my intro stash with at least a dozen GMD reds. I'm also on the lookout for used wool.

I love GMD reds. :yes