PDA

View Full Version : what's going on here? diaper rash?

greengirl19
02-28-2011, 06:33 AM
This may or may not be a cloth diapering issue . . . but here goes.

G has something wrong going on in his diaper area. He's never had a diaper rash really so I'm not very familiar with what causes them. But he has some red irritation on the end of his penis and the opening is infected. There was a tiny bit of blood on his diaper last night but I couldn't tell exactly where it had come from. It happened a week and a half ago and I put antibiotic cream on it and it cleared up. At the time I thought it was irritation that got infected because one day he ate a lot of grapefruit and pineapple so the citrus got to him. But it's started up again over the past day or so. I've been putting badger's diaper cream on the whole area but it didn't keep it from getting infected. Now the opening is infected again and I can tell he's in pain when in a wet diaper. I use prefolds and wash in tide but I have a sample of rockin green I could strip them if I needed to. I've never had any problems with the diapers before but I'm wondering if they have a build up that's causing irritation. They dont smell any different than normal or anything. Do I just need to change more often? We've be going longer between changes during the day because we've been outside playing but I didn't think it would cause a problem. Could it be something non-diaper related? He hasn't eaten anything new. UTI, maybe? I may call the nurse but they already think cloth diapering is weird so they'll probably say that's the problem.

everydaygrace
03-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Sorry no responses. No help here, just bumping for you. Hope you get it figured out.

amieids
03-07-2011, 05:35 AM
So i LOVE cloth nappies, my baby girl and toddler boy have both been in cloth pretty much from birth. But when DD had severe nappy rash (it was awful!) I had to put her in disposables for about week because the constant wetness around her nappy area was preventing her skin from healing. The way the disposables took to moisture away (which is normally a feature I don't like) allowed her skin to clear up with the help of some steroid cream from the dr's.

I would take your child to see the dr/nurse and get some treatment, it sounds painful :( But I don't think cloth is to blame in any way.

Sorry I don't have any other advice

Aahrensmom
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Sounds like ammonia burn to me (same with what happened with you amieids).
You need to strip them and then do some tweeking of your wash routine so that all of the urine rinses out and ammonia soes not build up.

greengirl19
03-10-2011, 06:34 AM
I did end up stripping with a sample of rockin green and haven't had any problems since then. So how often should I strip them? Once a month or so? It wasn't hard and boy did they look clean after that.

I have been going longer between washes, I wonder if that's the problem.

mamamonkey
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Is he circ'd or uncirc'd? With DS (who is circ'd), we had some issues with adhesions that caused the tip of his penis to get irritated. I just applied diaper ointment (we used Earth Mama Angel Baby Baby Bottom Balm) and it would eventually get better.

Ammonia burn from the dipes can cause that, but typically it makes their bottoms red too. :think I would give your ped a call and let them take a look. UTIs are not as common in boys as they are in girls, so that wouldn't be my first thought. But, still worth someone taking a look.

amieids
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
After every wash I then wash the nappies again to get all the washing liquid out. I don't have to strip them as often now. Actually probably only every 3 months. When I just used to wash them once and not do the extra rinse type cycle, every month I stripped!

KCMartha
03-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I did end up stripping with a sample of rockin green and haven't had any problems since then. So how often should I strip them? Once a month or so? It wasn't hard and boy did they look clean after that.

I have been going longer between washes, I wonder if that's the problem.

I've heard that 3 days is the max you should go because of the ammonia.

You might consider switching detergents to something a little more CD-friendly and then hopefully you wouldn't need to strip as often. There is a great sticky in this forum that has a link to a chart showing which detergents are best for CD.

Glad to hear that DS is doing better :)

Waterlogged
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
See if it goes away if you put him sposies. THen you'll know if it's your diapers.