PDA

View Full Version : First Foods Poop - Oh No!

mom-n-training
02-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, we started solids a week ago and the poo is totally different. I was wondering what are some ways to handle the soiled cloth diapers now that he's no exclusively breast fed. It's like thick peanut butter :hunh

I don't want to dunk, and don't have a sprayer.

This is what I was NOT looking forward to about cd. Anyone willing to share what works for their lo I'd really appreciate it.

Rabbit
02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm a fan of disposable diaper liners.

Starfox
02-02-2011, 02:47 PM
You gotta dunk or spray.

I have a sprayer that I haven't hooked up yet. :O I basically take the pocket diapers, flip them open so the fleece is on the outside, hold the tabs and swish them around until the poo is off. I don't have to touch the poo, and it usually mostly comes off unless it's really bad.

I need to hook that sprayer up, I'm just afraid the 4 year old around here will spray the bathroom down! :giggle:giggle:giggle

mom-n-training
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
OK - Dunk or spray :sick

I use prefolds, so there is no way for me to dunk those without touching the poo or the peed on part? And, do you just move your diaper pail into the bathroom? Our bathroom is too small for our pail, but when I tried spraying with our shower head, I ended up with poopy water all over me, and a soaking wet diaper with no where to go???

Kiara.I
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I just turn the water on in the bathtub and rinse.

Starfox
02-02-2011, 10:00 PM
My friend taught me this dunking trick... hold the corners. There's not usually poo on the corners (just pee... that doesn't ick me out as much) and do the swishing that way.

She also taught me this. :giggle:giggle:giggle

We don't keep the pail in the bathroom either. What I do is if they're really soaking wet (which the prefolds would be every time) I grab a dry clean prefold, fold it in half and after the water from the swishing has stopped pouring out of the diaper when I lift it out of the water, I put it in the folded dry prefold and hold the corners (so my hand doesn't get wet) and then walk it to the pail. It soaks up enough that I can make it there without dripping. (Does that make sense?)

graceandmercy
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm a fan of disposable diaper liners.

We use pockets but I love the liners too! :yes

ClothDiaperMom
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I know what you are going through. :hug2

When you start feeding them solids, the poop gets more firm, it's a lot more stinky, and there is more of it. :jawdrop

I too, use prefolds, and I dunk & swish. At first it bothered me, but then I just got use to it. ;)

greengirl19
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
This may sound gross, but I use and old spatula and scrape. Our toilet doesn't have enough flow to dunk. We were going to do the sprayer but the spatula works so well!

bec28
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
The spatula sounds like a great idea! I have a sprayer hooked up, and I couldn't really use it for those kinds of poos because nasty poo water would spray everywhere :doh:sick I'd either dunk or try to scrap it off with TP.

pirandellian
02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Definitely have a spatula or spoon on hand.

And if it seems to hard, look into a sprayer. I'm getting fed up with dunk and swish and I think I'm going to convince DH that the $50 or so for a sprayer is far cheaper than the price of my sanity.

raining_kisses
02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I am in no way reccomending this to anyone else, I am just sharing what we do right now.

We spray on our back porch steps. We live out in the country and we are not useing our back yard at all right now. I just throw the diaper on the bottem step and stand at the top and use the hose with the spray nozzle thing to spray it off. Then I wring it out by hand. Our pail is in our laundry room right as I step inside with the diaper.

I am not sure what I am going to do once we start using the back yard.

MercyInDisguise
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
We don't dunk or spray... I don't think I could do it. I take a wad of toilet paper and wipe off the poop I can get and then throw it in the wetbag where it waits to be washed. I haven't had any trouble with staining in nearly 6 months of solids. :phew

Lady TS
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Rice Paper Liners. They're not really rice paper, just called that because they are thin and you can practically see through them.

If it weren't for those, I would not have been nearly so gung-ho about using cloth. :giggle

I got the kind I could flush(we use a septic system and they are safe for that--never any problems), and if they were just wet, I would throw them in the pail w/the dipes and wash and reuse until they got holes in them.

I think the brand I used was Imse Vimse.

HTH

prov31craftymom
02-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I just used the shower head ans sprayed them out in the tub. I don't think I ever got poopy water on me. Just drop the diaper on the bottom of the tub, turn on the hot water and spray. I stand up though, so maybe that;s why I never get it on me. I've always been able to have a pail in the bathroom, but you can always just put a pail in the shower, and then take it out when you need to use the shower. :)

Oh, and I use pre-folds too. :)

jenjenn711
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I have the same problem. Yuck. Right now I feebly try to wipe it out with toilet paper, but I've seriously thought of using an old spatula and I just might do that. I guess you could then wipe it clean with a reusable wipe and there won't have been any waste, right?

Other than that, and I'm not sure you'd want to go to the trouble, but the start of solids REALLY encouraged me to start trying elimination communication. We have a Baby Bjorn Little Potty and a regular sized BB potty (which DD prefers over the little one). Poop is ten times easier to wash out of a hard plastic potty. She still goes in her diaper sometimes though. I won't use a sprayer because I noticed my sink sprayer blasts a fine mist off the dishes when I use it, and that's just what I don't need in my bathroom--poo mist. LOL.

JustMandy
02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I have the same set up as you. Prefolds, no pail in the bathroom, actually, it's litterally at the other end of the house. I don't swish or spray.

I use washable fleece liners. They are just one ply, about the size of an infant insert. Now, when he poos, I just take that to the toilet and shake. Sometimes it sticks a little and if it's a little, I don't worry about it. The washer will get it off. If it's a lot, I use TP but I'm loving the idea of the spatula! That is going to start today!

expatmom
02-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I just shake what can be shaken & then wash. :shrug3 Scraping or dunking grosses me out. :sick2

JenLovie
02-09-2011, 06:46 AM
We don't dunk or spray... I don't think I could do it. I take a wad of toilet paper and wipe off the poop I can get and then throw it in the wetbag where it waits to be washed. I haven't had any trouble with staining in nearly 6 months of solids. :phew

We do this, too.

me
02-09-2011, 07:14 AM
I cut up a bunch of old cotton clothing into rectangles (would have done fleece but it caused rashes). At the time we were also using the rectangles for toilet paper and wet wipes, so I had both paper and cloth by the toilet. I had a huge stack. And went through those till the poo firmed up a bit more. It wasnt long before I could just hold the rectangle upside down and shook until it just fell off into the toilet. Sometimes I had to use a little tp.
I tried the dunking, just left poo smeared on the sides of the toilet and swishing did nothing....eughhh soaking, wet, and pooped just grossed me out to much. I couldnt do the pail thing either. They went to the washing machine where I had vinegar/water already sitting in, then every dipe i would aggitate it a bit, run the actual load at the end of the night. My dipes still looked good as new when we were done with them. All my stained prefolds werent the diper ones, they were the ones i kept by the high chair to clean up food,lol..