PDA

View Full Version : Setting them both up for success (Personal Space vs. Enjoying Closeness)

NayneeNoo
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Crafty has zero sense of personal space. She loves to sit practically on top of you, not to be annoying but because she loves being close to those she loves. She was my baby that, while being rocked to sleep, insisted on having her hand down my shirt and inside my bra because she craved that skin to skin contact. It can be a bit much having her thisclose all the time, but one day, she might not want that, so I cuddle with her frequently.

Sassy enjoys cuddling to an extent but she likes her personal space. Instead of sitting thisclose to you during an activity, she would prefer having at least an arm's length (YOUR arm's length not hers :giggle) distance between you. She falls asleep easiest with her personal bubble fully intact and when upset, she would rather lean on you with her upper body only so that the rest of her is still has that personal space instead of in your lap, full body contact.

With that said...and I'm sure you can see where this is going...Crafty does not respect Sassy's personal space at. all. :no She's not trying to agitate her sister, it's just natural to her to want to be "on top" of her sister while they are playing. This leads to lots and lots of screaming and physical lashing out on Sassy's part in an effort to make her sister back off. Thus far, Crafty has not gotten the message. I physically intervene to prevent Sassy from hitting her sister but at the same time how do I help Crafty understand the need for her to respect her sister's personal space?

It is particularly bad when I am making dinner and cannot intervene as quickly as I usually do because my hands have been handling raw meat, or I am stirring, etc. During this time I hear a LOT of "Sassy, stop hitting me." (Sassy screeches) "I'm not doing anything to you!!!!!" Chances are when I arrive on the scene, Crafty has tried to sit too close to her sister during play and Sassy does not like this infringement on her personal space. Sassy enjoys playing with her sister....just not so closely.

So, how do I handle this? Any attempts at explanation to Crafty have thus far been unsuccessful. AFA Sassy, I realize much of what I can do is what I'm doing now, intervening and redirecting. Am I missing other tactics? Is there something else I can do to set them up for success?

Aerynne
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Ban you give Sassy a space she can go that Crafty knows she can't go in? I'm picturing a play tent or a comfy chair or something that would feel like a retreat?

I assume you've already explained the personal space thing a million times?

NayneeNoo
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Ban you give Sassy a space she can go that Crafty knows she can't go in? I'm picturing a play tent or a comfy chair or something that would feel like a retreat?

I assume you've already explained the personal space thing a million times?

:think I'll have to think on that one and see what resources I could come up with.

Yes, I have explained it a million times. I tried explaining that when she does that to her sister, it makes her feel trapped and like she can't move around freely and that it might even scare her a little bit but it doesn't seem to register for her.

I also have explained to her that the reason Sassy hits/screams at her is because it's her way of saying "back off" I need my space. Just like the dog growls at her when she is laying on top of him because he can't tell her to get off she's squishing him, Sassy is telling her that she is too close.

NayneeNoo
01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
:bump

Teribear
01-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm going totally off the cuff here but what if you got Sassy a child sized hulahoop to sit inside when she is playing and teach Crafty that she MUST stay outside the hoop unless Sassy invites her in.

Aerynne
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
or one of those small round rugs they have at Ikea

NayneeNoo
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
HM. That could work just have to figure how to teach a very active, never still 19 month old that said rug or hula hoop is her safety zone and to play within it.

Teribear
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I didn't realize Sassy was only 19 months. That does make things more difficult.