PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting an African wrap on Friday!!!

breezy88
01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
yeah...I met this lady at a conference and she is from Rwanda. She makes African wraps with traditional fabric and I am going to her house on Friday to pick one out.

Anybody else have one?

Quiteria
01-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I do! But I haven't mastered any carries. I got it toward the end of our babywearing days, and didn't have anyone supportive to help me learn to use it. So, I stuck to my ring sling and mei tai, since I could get the kids into those without help. I'm hoping to learn to wrap the baby that's on the way. :heart

Mother of Sons
01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't have an official one but a few years ago I was at festival of nations and didn't have my sling. I stopped at the Rwanda booth and bought a piece of fabric. I think it was a sarong or something. She asked me what it was for and when I told her, she showed me how they back carry there. It was really cool!

Starfox
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
:rockon That is awesome!!! You *gotta* post pics when you get it home and try it out!!!

breezy88
01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh and btw the lady....who will more than likely become a friend, says that we can get together as many times as I need to in order to learn how to wrap it.
cool heh?

Amahoro
01-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh how I want one. I should have got one in Rwanda when I was there... :sigh

I do, however have some material from Rwanda. Don't suppose anyone would have a pattern and a step-by-step guide on how to do it?

Rabbit
01-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Is there a pattern? In Burkina, the wrap was nothing but a very long piece of fabric. Baby goes on the back, and the wrap goes around, almost like a towel. Tucking it in tight is the only trick, and that takes a bit of practice. Rwanda is half the world away from Burkina, so maybe they have a very different method.

Amahoro
01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Pattern was possibly the wrong word; more how much length do you need?

I've got metres of fabric in my parents wardrobe being stored for me that I'd love to use. This would be brilliant!

Mommainrwanda
01-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Shall I play resident Rwanda "expert?" :giggle

Well, really...I can't. All I have ever seen women use here is just a piece of regular cotton fabric and (like Rabbit said) wrapping around and tucking it like a towel. The only difference I've seen between here and W. Africa is that here they usually tie a white tablecloth or something lighter around their shoulders like a cape to protect the baby. Someone told me it was to protect the baby from being poisoned (???), but a more likely guess is for sun exposure (since I am chastised whenever I take the Urchin out without a hat).

So I'm excited to see what you get :) If your friend has a source for woven material in Rwanda I'd totally want to track it down for myself! :)

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Pattern was possibly the wrong word; more how much length do you need?

Really you can wrap the way the women do here with just about a meter of fabric. It doesn't take much. Just tuck it really tight in the front :shrug3