PDA

View Full Version : BFSU users, check in here!

Katydid
01-21-2011, 11:12 AM
(BSFU = Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (http://www.amazon.com/Building-Foundations-Scientific-Understanding-Curriculum/dp/1432706101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295633388&sr=8-1) by Bernard Nebel, btw)

Who has this? Who uses it successfully? Any tips or anecdotes from lessons that you care to share? :popcorn

Mama Calidad
01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Just wanting to get more info. :popcorn

Mama Rophe
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I've been looking at this. :popcorn

doubleblessings
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
We have it, are using it, and like it. We have done 6 or 7 sections so far. There is a yahoo group that the author posts on (and others post and answer questions as well). I really like the logical progression and building on things. My kids have enjoyed most of what we have done so far. It isn't a 36 week this is what you do this day type lesson plans, so it does take a bit of prep, but I haven't found it to be as problematic as some.

This blog (http://satorismiles.com/tag/bfsu/) has some pics and stuff from their lessons - she is no longer using it. She was unhappy that the author is not going to cover evolution. I like his stand on it. He thinks that elementary science can be covered without really addressing the topic at all. Some on both sides are unhappy with that, but it fits with what our family wants. :shrug3

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer them.

sprout
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
sub

Katydid
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I guess I'll go :giggle

We did a few lessons out of this last year and really enjoyed it. Then, my impulsiveness coupled with my lack of planning made it hard to actually do the lessons. As in, I would decide I wanted to do a lesson that day out of it so I turned to the nifty flowchart (genius, IMO) and pick one that looked good. Then I realized I didn't have the supplies on hand (not that the lessons take all that much) so instead of just getting the supplies and doing the lesson later in the week, I would just blow the whole thing off. :O

So then we got Oak Meadow and decided to just do the science from that and I loaned out my copy of BFSU. OM didn't work out, so now I'm going back to BFSU (as soon as I get my copy back). But the plan this time is to go through each lesson and make a list of all the supplies needed. Then I'm going to buy it all at once and store it in a box so that I can still be impulsive. :rockon And then we will get some of the recommended reading books out of the library after the lesson at our next library visit.

AFA the lessons themselves, I absolutely love the amount of information he includes for the parent/teacher and I can tell he really knows what he is talking about and that he really loves his subject. :heart We all learned a lot from just the few lessons we did. :yes

Anyone else?

knitlove
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
:popcorn

Katydid
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
This blog has some pics and stuff from their lessons - she is no longer using it. She was unhappy that the author is not going to cover evolution. I like his stand on it. He thinks that elementary science can be covered without really addressing the topic at all. Some on both sides are unhappy with that, but it fits with what our family wants. :shrug3

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer them.

Which blog? :poke :wink

I, also, love his stance on evolution. :rockon

sprout
01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
the evolution thing is spot on.

it really is not covered and then when it is covered in the ps setting it is covered quickly.

our state did not even begin to mention it really until HS bio..and even then, it was a day or two...and this was at the advanced placement level as well.

tigerlily
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
:popcorn

I already have in my Amazon wishlist from the other thread -- I absolutely stink at getting science in.:O

sprout
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I just added it to my cart too.

I am getting a few other things and this looks great.

I am curious to know what types of equipment/materials are needed though.

AIMS education is another favorite for me as well. I am getting ready to order some bird activities per dds request.

Katigre
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Here's the yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K5science

doubleblessings
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Which blog? :poke :wink

oops :blush
http://satorismiles.com/tag/bfsu/

Ellen
01-21-2011, 01:20 PM
I love what I am reading about this.
I can see, though, having trouble getting organized with the needed supplies. I wonder if it would make sense to guess at which lessons I think we'll try in a semester or a year and just buy all the supplies at once.

Codi
01-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Most of the supplies Ive used so far, Ive found around my home. Im sure they get more specialized as the lessons progress though.

He does NOT give you a set out lesson plan. At all. In the traditional sense of a curriculum anyways. You have a few different spots you can start, then go to from there, eventually getting to all the different sections he covers. it is GREAT the way he leads from one subject to another, building on the previous things learned. The way he lays it out just makes so much sense. You need to understand X before you can understand Y, then onto Z.

I can honestly say, that when I got it and opened it and sat down to plan my first set of plans...I was C O N F U S E D. Like, really. :giggle I had to check out the yahoo group, and really read before I understood fully to make the plans. But once I did, it was great.

There is a chart you can follow in the beginning of the book showing which sections you can start on, then where you can go from there, and what subjects need to be known before moving onto the next, etc. Each section has GREAT detail in explanations on how it all works, why it is important to know, etc. Then gives ideas on how to incorporate it into your schooling. Book ideas, activity ideas, game ideas, etc.

So it is good amount of reading and planning on your part, but worth it IMO. :shrug

Also, he does not say, "Spend X amount of weeks on this subject." It's more of, "When you feel comfortable with this knowledge and understand this concept, move on."

:tu

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Oh, and if I remember correctly, there are supply lists you can print off of the yahoo group. :tu I think even the full books worth of supplies in one list.

Katydid
01-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Oh, and if I remember correctly, there are supply lists you can print off of the yahoo group. :tu I think even the full books worth of supplies in one list.

:idea I never thought to check the yahoo group for that! :doh :ty

Blue Aurora
01-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! I added it to my amazon list. :rockon

Ellen
01-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I ordered the book last night. I'm loving my free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime. :rockon

It sounds like the yahoo group is worth joining. Probably will be good for me anyway since I'm not a big science person.

I understand the need for "open and go" curriculums, but I really respect an author who expects and trusts the parents/teachers to do their own thinking about how to implement the curriculum. It sounds like a fabulous resource.

Codi
01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
And the author is the one who runs and regularly posts on the yahoo group. :tu So HE HIMSELF can answer questions.

Mama Rophe
01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
I joined the yahoo group to get a better idea of what the book is all about. I stated exactly this in my applicatioin for the group. I got a personal e-mail from the author. So cool to know that he is there to answer questions.

Codi
01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
:yes It really is cool.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

This book is on sale on amazon right now. Normally $25 it is now $13 something.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=394185

Link to book in that thread. Thanks Kimberly aka klpmommy! :heart

Ellen
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
:doh I ordered it just a few days before the sale.

Mert
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
OK, after reading this thread and a gentle poke from doubleblessing, I bought the book and joined the Yahoo group. :grin. Did/are any of you using this for Kindy or did you wait?

Mama Rophe
01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I plan on using it for my two oldest next school year. They will be in K and 2nd.

doubleblessings
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I didn't, but I think it would be fine to start in Kindy. Just take it slowly and maybe stop to spend awhile on animals etc.

Mert
01-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I hadn't planned to do any formal science for K next year... Just thinking.

Codi
01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Ds is not "technically" kindy this year, but we started it in Sept (he was still only 4 then) and it was great. You can totally gear it toward whatever age and especially the first few things taught, they are not super technical. :) You also get to work through the book in your own time, so if it takes them longer (or if they get it quickly) you can move on whenever.

doubleblessings
01-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Just wanted to mention....

I cut off the binding and put my BFSU in a three ring binder. I find it much easier to use that way.

abh5e8
01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
bump...for anyone else interested in the sale price. its back down (or still at) $13 :)

Mama Rophe
01-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I ordered mine today! I'm so excited.

Mama Rophe
02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
My book came in the mail today! Call me a geek, but I'm so excited to sit down and look through it tonight.

Ellen
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
:glasses If you're a geek then I am too. I've been reading through the book and getting excited about it. I also joined the yahoo group and appreciated the personal welcome from Dr. Nebel. :rockon

Saphirah
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Mine is arriving today!

BornFreeBaby
02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Let me know what you all think of the planning part of it. I haven't bought it yet, but seriously considering for my 4 and 7 year olds to do together.

Ellen
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
So, I recruited a buddy to do this with me! :danceWe're going to try meeting twice a month to do the lessons together. We did our first one today at my house. It went really well! We each covered A/B-1 (organizing things into categories) on our own and did A-2 together today (solids, liquids, and gases). The kids were very interested in the lesson and A. has continued the discussion throughout the day.

I'm still excited about this curriculum and especially excited to have someone to do it with! For me that's the best way to make sure I will follow through with it.

Mama Rophe
03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Doing it with a buddy sounds fun. I plan on starting ours once we finish our Human Body plans.