PDA

View Full Version : Looking for other's experiences

LadyofReason
01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
DS2 (17 months old) has decided he really likes using the toilet. He will still pee/poo in a diaper if he has one on, but usually makes it to the toilet if he's bare bummed. He cries and either signs "hurt" or "potty" if I try to put a diaper on (like I have to at night). :giggle
I usually still put on a diaper if we have to go somewhere though. He won't pee while out and about, but tends to while sitting (like in the carseat). I have to have at least pants on him, so if we would go diaper free, we would show up at the store with wet pants and have to change right away. Given that it's freezing cold out :shiver , it doesn't seem like a workable option right now. Come spring/summer I'd be happy to put a prefold under him in the car seat and just add pants when we get there.
I was wondering if any one had an idea I hadn't thought of for this situation or if this will just have to work. I can't buy anything new right now either. :-/

Otherwise things are going great. It's been at least 4 days since I had to change a poopy diaper. Maybe more, I haven't kept track since it kinda crept up on me. lol I did have a few poops on the floor to pick up and one that I caught in my hand. :shifty :hunh :doh :lol But, it was still better than poo smooshed on his butt. :giggle We've been so impressed with how he will run to the potty on his own or get our attention and sign "potty" so we will take him to the toilet.
He's getting to where he can hold it more too. For example, I took the kids shopping the other day. He was so upset about a diaper, so I tole him that if he had to potty, just tell me and we could take it off so he could pee. On the way, he started signing "potty". Fiona told him that we would be at the store soon and mommy would take him to the toilet then. He nodded and kept signing "potty" off and on. About 5 mins later we got to the store and once we were inside I took him to the bathroom. Well, it was closed for cleaning so I had to take him to the back bathroom. I figured this was just too much for him, so I planned on changing him into a dry diaper and sit him on the toilet just to show him I would do what I promised. Imagine my surprise when he was dry! I put him on the toilet and he peed and pooed! So I put his dry diaper back on and he flushed. :heart He managed to stay dry on our last trip in town also. I checked his diaper three different times (in 5 hours) and he was dry each time. Each time I sat him on the toilet and he peed. The last time he signed that the diaper "hurt" when I put it back on, so I said ok and just pulled up his pants. I told him to tell me if he had to potty and left it at that. He made it home dry.
After telling you that, it sounds like he does fine, but I'm still worried about him peeing his pants (in the carseat) and being all wet in the cold weather.

I guess what I'm really asking is what would YOU do in this situation? Not what should I do, but how would YOU handle it with YOUR kid?

(Also looking for a bit of congrats because I'm so thrilled that he finally likes this potty thing :giggle )

And sorry I tend to ramble a bit. :blush

Waterlogged
01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
:congrats

if it were me and my kid, i'd get some cloth trainers for the just-in-case situations you mentioned, and pat myself on the back.

LadyofReason
01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Hmmm... not sure if I can buy any trainers right now. I do have a few pockets though. Maybe I'll figure out what I have that will be the least bulk and try to use them as trainers. I bought side snapping ones so they can be pulled up.