PDA

View Full Version : Allen's naturally or charlie's soap?

crunchymum
12-26-2010, 04:30 AM
I want a powdered detergent for my dipes... And I want to get a really good one. We had to quit CDing with ds2 after a few months because of horrendous rashes from the dipes. :( I tried everything to strip them, etc. Ds2 does have the most sensitive skin/skin issues of all the kids, so I'm hoping cloth will work better with the new kid. :)

Anyway, I'd like to increase my chances of success this time...I think I'd like to try either allen's naturally or charlie's soap. I have a front loader, I know it's not the best, but its what we have. :shrug3

Any experiences with these soaps? I need to order like, yesterday. :shifty

KarenBoo
12-26-2010, 04:47 AM
I have used both and much prefer the Allen's. I really, really wanted to like Charlie's, but we were "one of the few" that got bad diaper rashes as a result of using it. It took me a while to diagnose the problem.

In fact, one time after we had the problem all resolved, I accidentally washed the cloth dipes with Charlie's again! :doh (I'd been "using it up" on the regular laundry and just put the wrong soap in the dipes!)

Anyway, it was straight back to a red bum for poor Monkey, and it took like 5 washes before the red bum disappeared again.

Also, although they say Charlie's is unscented, it still has a scent.

hth!

Serafine
12-26-2010, 05:53 AM
neither. :shifty

Crunchy Clean (or call me and I will give you my homemade one...which is the same as all of them anyway)

learnasigo1
12-26-2010, 06:52 AM
I make my own too, and have never had an issue with diaper rash. It only takes a few minutes to make, and lasts a while even with the four kids. PM me for the recipe. :)

crunchymum
12-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I've made cleaners in the past, so I'm not opposed, but I'm not in a place to do that right now. ;)

I'm concerned about buildup since I have a front loader... How does crunchy clean do wrt that? It seems like the reviews I've read have said AN and CS leave the least residue... Not true?

Eowyn
12-26-2010, 09:20 AM
The only one we've had consistently work for us is Country Save. Clean clothes and diapers that smelled like nothing. :)

TuneMyHeart
12-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I absolutely love Charlie's. I wish I could use it for all our laundry. Unfortunately, it causes a really bad reaction on my DH. It causes an itchy rash and makes him miserable. So I only use it on diapers now.

Barefoot Bookworm
12-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I only used Allen's on mine and couldn't figure out why my kids kept getting horrible, burn looking rashes. It was the Allen's. We switched to Tide powder actually and it cured it. I guess the Allen's wasn't getting them clean enough or something.

sprout
12-26-2010, 01:17 PM
....I would love to know how to make my own if you care to share.....

graceandmercy
12-26-2010, 01:26 PM
....I would love to know how to make my own if you care to share.....

:yes me too!

DancingWithElves
12-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I loved Charlies, and now I have Nelly's and love that too :yes

and yes, i'd like to know how you make yours too

Serafine
12-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Dh and I, both scientists, just looked at he chemical ingredients and put them together on our own.

3 parts washing soda
1 part baking soda
1 part oxygen bleach ( oxy clean free)

Mix well.
This is our wash regimen (we have softened water for our washer):
Cold cycle (soak with 0.5-1 cu white vinegar)
HOT cycle (1 tbs mix)
HOT cycle (nothing added) - so 2 rinses

sprout
12-26-2010, 02:02 PM
what is washing soda?

Serafine
12-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Not sure exactly what you are asking, so I will answer both options:

Washing soda = sodium carbonate
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029XNTEU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1293397604&sr=8-1

mamamonkey
12-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Another vote for Country Save.

I washed all DS's first dipes in Charlie's. He got a HORRIBLE sunburn like rash. When I researched it, I found this is a somewhat common occurrence with Charlie's. We had a top loader at the time too.

ShangriLewis
12-27-2010, 03:31 PM
The only thing that worked for me with a FL was a spot of dishsoap. Nothing else worked. I had hard water. Ours didn't have a santize cycle or anything like that. It washed clothes just fine though. Biokleen powder is what I used for the laundry. It is still my preferred laundry product.

Fallin2Grace
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
We use Allen's (but its the liquid, not the powder) and i like it! Though i am partial :yes Anyways, DS hasnt had any rashes at all...which surprises me bc his skin if very fair and sensitive. But yep, no problems at all! Though i cant speak for charlies bc i havnt tried it...and probably wont since we found something that works.

PS i have front loaders as well and i have never had a problem :)