PDA

View Full Version : CD'ing a newborn?

graceandmercy
12-09-2010, 09:47 PM
The girls were a bit older when I started CD'ing so I'm looking for some BTDT advice for CD'ing a newborn. I have mostly one-size pocket diapers. Should I consider prefolds and covers? I'm inducing lactation and/or donor milk so baby will be EBF.

Thanks!

Waterlogged
12-10-2010, 01:42 AM
You might consider some infant PFs (24) and some small covers (4-6). The OS pockets won't fit great, and unless you have a ton of them, you'll be doing a lot of laundry.

nomad~mama
12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
You might consider fitteds, instead of prefolds. Runny, explosive newborn poo will go everywhere! I used hemp fitteds and they contained So well!

when I was at home I did not always use a cover, I would just change as they were wet and run a load every day.

Country Bumpkin
12-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I second the newborn fitteds. They are really great at containing and super easy and covers only need to be changed/washed when they are dirty. Kissaluvs make a great cushy soft newborn diaper and they are adorable, too. :)

LoveIsGentle
12-10-2010, 07:43 AM
I second the newborn fitteds. They are really great at containing and super easy and covers only need to be changed/washed when they are dirty. Kissaluvs make a great cushy soft newborn diaper and they are adorable, too. :)

Yeah, I loved my Kissaluvs with Thirsties Duo covers for the newborn stage. After a few weeks, I switched over to my BumGenius one-size diapers.

ncsweetpea
12-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Can someone link the Kissaluvs? I want to make sure I'm looking at the same thing you are talking about.

:popcorn I'm sorta in the same boat. I have cloth diapered but started at 11 months. So I'll be a needing some newborn and small sized stash.

graceandmercy
12-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I do have a "TON" of pockets with having twins! :giggle My ones I'll need to get the elastic re-done, but my newer ones should be fine.

So the newborn poop I don't need to rinse? I washed diapers everyday and will probably do the same this time. M said I shouldn't get a ton a newborn ones as baby will outgrow them pretty quick! I'm used to my little tiny preemies so I have no idea what a full term baby will do or how fast he/she will grow! :shrug3 For one baby how many should I get for a two day stash, just in case I don't get them washed everyday?

What I did before.....I never rinsed my CD's, I used the liners and then just scraped out the extra poop if needed (but I know the NB poop will be different), I did a rinse at night before I went to bed, then in the morning I did the actual wash cycle. But of course I was home every morning! Now with the girls we'll be on the go everyday.....HMMMMM :scratch But I still see how I can make it work though.

Did you CD in the hospital? (she is having a planned c/s, her choice)

Sorry for the tons of questions? :)

Oh, what covers do you all recommend? And do you CD at night? I didn't before because the girls were such heavy wetters.

tiffany
12-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I just went through this too and had 32 newborn/infant size PF's and several covers in different small sizes - thirsties x-sm and sm, swaddlebees nb, and something else in small. All the AIO's we were given were too big and even the fitteds we were loaned were too big, so it was great that we had PF, because we had to switch and now we use those exclusively.

But even the xs covers were too big for the first few weeks so the only covers that fit really well were the NB size. Now at 7 weeks, the nb's are starting to get tight, but we can still use them. I thought I wouldn't want to spend money on getting nb sizes, for just 6 weeks or so, but I'm sooo glad I did because 6 weeks is a long time to fuss with dipes that don't fit.

My personal thought beforehand, and is still my recommendation afterward, is to spend as little money as I can for the first few weeks until she grows into the stash I already had - so that meant infant PFs and used covers. It worked out great!!! I wash every other day with 32 dipes and 8 covers.

I love PFs so much now - I am thinking about trying to convince hubby to sell our pockets and stick with the pf's for the long haul :rockon ...but I doubt he'll go for that :(

HTH

Country Bumpkin
12-10-2010, 10:29 AM
No need to rinse newborn poo's. Just chuck 'em in the pail and then into the wash. If you get any staining you don't like you can set them in the sun and it will bleach it right out. I did that after I was finished using them before I put them away for the next little one. :)

http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=168
Make sure to get the kissaluv newborn fitteds 2.0. They used to made with just a terry insert sewn in, but now they are more absorbent with microfiber sewn in instead.

I haven't cloth diapered in hospital before. My first was a hospital birth, but I didn't discover cloth until he was 3 or 4 months. My last two were home births and cloth diapered from the beginning. This next baby coming will be born in hosp.(if I make it there :giggle) because of high blood pressure issues, so we will be using cloth for the first time in hospital.

I'm a wool cover girl myself. I love Imse Vimse (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=25) wraps. Super easy to take care of. I like regular Imse Vimse, too. Also, thirsties (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=839) are great if you poly on the inside.

mommy2abigail
12-16-2010, 06:28 AM
My dd is 8 weeks. Right now my favorite thing has been prefolds and either wool or fleece covers. Wool can be used over and over (unless it gets poo on it) without washing, and fleece is soooo soft and can be thrown in with the regular laundry. At this point, I'm still using preemie prefolds, tri folded into a cover. I change at every pee, so I don't need more absorbency than that. The other thing I use is infant prefolds or flats with wool longies.

If I had to pick one thing, it would be prefolds and wool covers. I'd get 24 preemie and 24 infant and 4-6 covers. The preemie ones can be used in the beginning, and aren't soooo bulky like the infant sized ones. And after they outgrow them, they make really good doublers. Hth some.

lilcrunchie
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I like using GMD prefolds (oranges and yellows) in the beginning, along with a few fitteds (like newborn mutts or the baby shape mutts which are better once the cord falls off).

DS2 was 9 lbs at birth and was wearing some one sized dipes after a month or two (goodmamas and B4s). They were bulky but did the job for us and he's still wearing them at 9 months.

Andrea
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I started CDing my daughter (now 2 weeks old) on day one, while we were still in the hospital. None of the nurses/docs had a problem with it, and she hasn't had any rashes or other problems.

I have 3 dozen orange GMD workhorse fitteds and two bummi's covers; we wash every other day and I'm thinking about ordering another cover or two so I can have more in rotation (she's a super-soaker). I've used GMD PFs and covers on my son for two years (started with yellow edges when he was 3 weeks old), so I'm already a big PF lover.

I CD at night and just change her when she wakes to feed (about every 3 hours); we haven't had any problems.