PDA

View Full Version : dry pail recommendations?

passthemanna
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I need to get some kind of dry pail for our dirty cloth diapers. Right now I'm just throwing them in a bag in our garage, but I know when we have a newborn I won't always to able to make it downstairs to throw the diapers in the garage. What can I do to keep odor down? I heard having a pail that's not tightly sealed actually controls odor better- is that true?
TIA :)

Lady TS
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
When I was cd'ing, I just used a kitchen sized(13 gallon?) trash can with a lid you have to lift with your hand. I only noticed odors when it was opened, and it usually wasn't too bad.

When I washed the diapers, I would rinse out the trash can in the shower and squirt in some Dawn(or similar) and a couple drops of tea tree oil and let it sit for awhile. Then I would swish that around and dump it and rinse it and it would be ready to go again.

FWIW, I used mainly prefolds/fitteds and PUL covers.

Waterlogged
12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I used a regular garbage can with a good lid, and a REALLY good wetbag. The wetbag made a huge difference...

graceandmercy
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I never used a wet pails before. My dry one I used our old sposie diaper pail. But I used the liners for the poop and that helped so much with the smell. I hade very heavy wetters too. I did a soak every night i the washer, then washed them in the morning. Of course with twins it made it easier to stay ahead and do them every day then to fall behind! ;)

What does everyone do with newborn poop? Mine were a little older when I started CD'ing before.

LoveIsGentle
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Right now we have a trash can with a swinging top lid and a Planetwise pail liner inside. It works just fine and I don't notice much smell. I don't worry about newborn poop, just throw it in to be washed.

Starfox
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I just have a giant wetbag (from Planetwise (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Dry-Diaper/dp/B003IHN518)) and I keep everything in there. It doesn't smell at all (only a tiny bit when I open it) and I throw it in the wash when I do the diapers. I have two, so I just rotate them out. We are space-limited, so it works well hanging in the laundry room.

melliethepooh
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm also in the kitchen trash can club. Sometime I throw some baking soda on there, but I've never had a problem. Sometimes I rinse the pail out when I empty it, sometimes I don't. It's surprisingly low maintenance, although my MIL is convinced that every cold we get is due to the fact that we don't put bleach in the pail :giggle

Newborn dypes you don't rinse, just throw 'em in as long as they're breastfed.

Katigre
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
LOVE the Planetwise wetbags. I had a Rubbermaid 14gallon or so flip-top trash can (don't remember the exact size - maybe 44 qt?) and put the pail liner in it. Every 2-3 days when it was full or I ran out of diapers/wipes/covers I'd do the laundry :). Easy.

KatieMae
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I have this pail:
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Saver-Diaper/dp/B0009A4FBQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1291756294&sr=8-10

and I sewed my own bags to fit inside it. I used duck canvas (heavy 100% cotton fabric) that you can find in the home decor section of Joanns. It says dry-clean only, but :no you can definitely wash it. The bags are taller than the container, so they fold out & over the edge, which makes a tight fit around the rim when the lid is down. When it's time to wash, I take the whole bag over to the washing machine, shake the diapers out and then toss the bag in too.

I used to just use a trash bag in that pail, but I found that it was really nasty to still have a smelly bag to throw away after I put the diapers in the wash. This has been a great solution :tu

KCMartha
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I just have a giant wetbag (from Planetwise (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Dry-Diaper/dp/B003IHN518)) and I keep everything in there. It doesn't smell at all (only a tiny bit when I open it) and I throw it in the wash when I do the diapers. I have two, so I just rotate them out. We are space-limited, so it works well hanging in the laundry room.

This is what I do too. Except my bag doesn't zip or anything, it's just open. So far it really has never gotten smelly. I wash the bag with the covers/diapers and I have two that I rotate. I tried baking soda once and honestly didn't even notice a difference!

No need to rinse newborn EBF poop. I tried in order to reduce staining on my diapers and it didn't really matter/help.

canadiyank
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a kitchen-sized garbage can with a step-on lid and put a regular garbage bag in it. I switch the garbage bag out every once in awhile. With my last two I had a diaper pail and giant wetbag but this time I went the straight-forward (read: cheap) route.

TenderLovingWillow
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought an actual diaper pail from Cotton Babies.. I dont remember who makes it now.. But it has a carbon filter on the top, and it makes a world of difference! I have a large diaper stash, and while I try super hard to get diapers done every other night, it usually ends up being every 3, and I don't notice a smell at all, except when I open it.

I don't use a liner right now, but I spray it out, and put just a dab of lavender oil in it,and its good as new.

Mommainrwanda
12-11-2010, 04:46 AM
I also just use a big wetbag. We've done that for 5 months now with BF poop and haven't had odor problems. We'll see what happens when she starts eating...

passthemanna
12-11-2010, 03:57 PM
we have 1 drawstring wetbag in the garage and 1 planetwise wetbag with a zipper in our upstairs bathroom. It seems like they used to contain odors better, so I'm not sure if it's the bags or just that ds is getting older and his pee is stronger smelling, or it could be that he's mostly potty-learned so I don't wash as frequently as I used to...:shrug3 But I suppose when Babybrothersister arrives I'll go back to washing more frequently so odor won't be as much of a problem. we do have a trashcan we aren't using and I registered for another big wetbag.

Sonata
12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
We used a garbage pail for a while, but I upgraded to a cloth diaper pail from MotherEase. It has been GREAT. It doesn't seem very large, but it holds plenty of diapers, and does a good job of being non-stinky. The best part? It has big hard metal clips to hold down the edges on both sides, which are easy to navigate as an adult, but nice and difficult for a toddler!!!!

MiriamRose
12-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I use a kitchen trash can with a big wetbag (the brand is escaping me right now). I have two and just rotate them, whenever I do the wash I throw the bag in with the dipes. Generally no problems with smell unless the diapers themselves are having issues.

BF'd newborn poop just got thrown in as is. It never stank and washed out easily. Poop on solids but still BF'd, I shake off into the toilet what I can, the rest just gets thrown in the wash and washes out easily. A little stinkier when I open the lid, but not enough to bother me and I can't smell it when the lid is closed.

blessedwifeandmommy
12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I also use a kitchen trashcan (no lid) with a large wetbag inside. I just throw in potty diapers and use the diaper sprayer on poopy diapers and then throw those in. As long as I don't go more than a few days between washes, it doesn't get stinky. Putting baking soda in the trash can or bottom of wetbag can help if you are noticing odors. Also, if your pail is stinky, it might be an indicator that your diapers need stripped to get rid of the ammonia smell.

Stiina
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
I use a Rubbermaid trash can also, but one with the lid you have to push on/pull off. No wetbag, and I rarely even wash it out!

passthemanna
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
well we've been using an old 13 gal trash can with a drawstring diaper bag (I don't pull the drawstring just kind of twist it & leave it sitting in the bottom of the can) & so far no odor issues :rockon also ds has been staying dry more often at night and for the past 2-3 days he's been catching himself after peeing only a few drops as opposed to having a full accident :rockon:D

bliss
12-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Just because I like to occasionally remind you people just exactly how cheap and white trash I really am :shifty I will add to the conversation that I used a Sun laundry soap bucket :yes :mrgreen :giggle. I did put baking soda and a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the bottom after I'd wash it out. I liked that it was not that big, so my procrastinating buns couldn't just keep filling it...and filling it....and filling it :giggle. I HAD to do diapers frequently, which was best for me. It also sealed nice and tight, which I liked :yes.

FarmMama
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, I do not use the lid. I clean diapers when it is full.

I don't know if this would work in your situation though. We have a mudroom connected to the house and that is also our laundry room. This is where I keep the bucket. I don't worry about odor because the outside door stays open most of the time, keeping it fresh in the mudroom.