PDA

View Full Version : for those who follow my blog...

Peridot
12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Can you all give me a few ideas for what you'd like to see discussed?

I have lots of ideas bouncing around in my head, but they are not coalescing into anything meaningful.

so if you have an issue, or a topic you'd like to see explored, specifically with Dobson as a point of reference, whether you were raised by parents who adhered to his teaching, or were trying to parent that way yourself, would y'all mind throwing some ideas my way?

TIA! :heart

Atarah
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
The proper way to train a dog? :shifty

The futility of setting up an adversarial relationship with our children? Our children are not the enemy, The Enemy is the enemy.

Waterlogged
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
the subtle ways we undermine parent-child relationships.

dulce de leche
12-07-2010, 06:50 AM
The proper way to train a dog? :shifty

:lol

I've enjoyed all of your posts so much. Really, I think anything you write will be worth reading. :heart

blessedmamaofmany
12-07-2010, 10:59 AM
How about some encouragement for those trying to move away from punitive parenting? Some specific tactics and ideas for those of us who were raised/taught that punitive is the only way?
Does that makes sense? That's how I was raised. Punitive or nothing.
Now that I've realized there is more..I'm struggling to learn how to parent in a way that doesn't involve 'crime and punishment' and frankly, it's hard. When you've relied on the ''be bad and I'll spank you'' tactic for your entire parenting life...actually learning how to parent is stinkin' HARD.
:bag:bheart
Anyways..I just think that some alternatives, tactics and even scenarios would be helpful for parents in punitive recovery. Or simply searching for a better way.

Peridot
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
can you give me some situations? I've done some that popped up in our house, I need some ideas? :think

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I do want to target some of the things Dobson takes for grnated, like the way he uses, self control' and the way he usses 'defiance' and 'obedience'.

blessedmamaofmany
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
:question Hmmmm... Can I think on that for a bit? I had ideas when I posted earlier..and now I've got nothing :blush LOL

FWIW, I like your blog :)

CelticJourney
12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
The proper way to train a dog? :shifty.If you choose this one, I can help. We had a 90lb German Shepard GBDed to two national police certifications.:yes

Peridot
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
:lol I have never owned a dog.

actually learning how to parent is stinkin' HARD.

Yes. yes it is... :hug2

ViolaMum
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
[/COLOR]I do want to target some of the things Dobson takes for grnated, like the way he uses, self control' and the way he usses 'defiance' and 'obedience'.

I love your blog, by the way!

I take real issue with the way Dobson uses defiance. It can be used to justify anything right down to simply having a difference of opinion. (And why isn't that allowed??)
'
I find it also very problematic that he never assumes positive intent, but always, always negative. As a kid who was misunderstood a LOT growing up, I try to always hear my kids out before issuing a directive.

For instance, our Dobson-following pastor was over one afternoon helping my dad with a remodeling project. My dad was downstairs, he was upstairs, I was upstairs in my room studying. I wanted to listen to some music, but only had a radio. We lived in a small town and got exactly THREE FM radio stations - two rock, one country. If I wanted to listen to a tape or record, I had to go down to the family room where my brother was watching TV. I had been talking with the pastor's wife a couple of weeks earlier and she'd said something about really liking a couple of singers on the country station, so I put that on. I figured that if she liked it, he would, too. The pastor very calmly read me the riot act about how if I were REALLY listening, Id know that those lyrics are just not pleasing to God, and I was corrupting my mind. I was really quite hurt. I'd had the best of intentions and felt like I'd been smacked in the face.

Hermana Linda
12-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Darcy, thank you for sharing that. :hug2 I find that topic interesting. :yes3

Peridot
12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I do want to do a post on defiance. :think

Darcy, Thank you for posting that! :hug

BarefootBetsy
12-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Subbing for ideas as well :shifty

Maggirayne
12-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm amazed at what people assume kids are thinking and how they assign negative intent.
"I can see my two year old is being defiant by the look in his eye."

I wanna say, "Hey, have you ever looked at Lolcats? You can read anything into expressions, but it don't mean you're right." :mad :rolleyes :shifty

Peridot
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
:jawdrop That is a GREAT analogy!!!!

Seriously! ppl look at their kids and see their own anger and annoyance reflected there and assume it is the CHILD's!!!! :banghead

:jawdrop :idea :jawdrop :idea :jawdrop

charla
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I like your blog, too. :heart Like others, I'd be interested in an article that discusses defiance. I'm icked out a lot by Dobson calling children, little tyrants, and how he sees them as manipulative. I think that has been one of the most insiduous harmful things that I learned from Dobson that is so stinkin hard to remove from my thinking. Most of his other teachings, I can just toss out and not look back, but somehow this one took deep root and I think it takes deep root in many, many people's thoughts: the idea of parents vs. child, he/she is just manipulating me, we need to break his will, he/she needs to learn who's boss, etc. :bheart I believe that this thinking is at the heart of punitive discipline.

BarefootBetsy
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I've started my third post looking at what the Bible does actually say about parenting - is there anything in particular people would like to see me explore in that post? I'll be looking at the fruit of the spirit and how those translate into parenting and how we are commanded to treat other people and how that translates into parenting.

I had not intended for me to take this long to get it written, but I might as well get input (if there is any) since it has :shifty

charla
12-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I've started my third post looking at what the Bible does actually say about parenting - is there anything in particular people would like to see me explore in that post? I'll be looking at the fruit of the spirit and how those translate into parenting and how we are commanded to treat other people and how that translates into parenting.

I had not intended for me to take this long to get it written, but I might as well get input (if there is any) since it has :shifty

:rockon I think it sounds great. Can't wait to read it.

Peridot
12-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I believe that this thinking is at the heart of punitive discipline.

CHarla, this is it. :yes4 Imaginary defiance is the heart of the adversarial mindset.

Betsy- I do want you to do the fruits of the spirit. I have been thinking long and hard on the fact that the very last Furit listed is 'self-Control' and yet many parenting experts purport to TEACH that to very young children. ( :think pming you)

how we are commanded to treat other people and how that translates into parenting.

and why in the heck it WOULDN'T apply to the way we treat our children????!!!! :hunh :scratch :doh :mad

blessedmamaofmany
12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Such great ideas! I'm really looking forward to reading some new posts. I think defiance is exactly what I was getting at when I was trying to come up with ideas.

In GBD, where does one draw the line of grace vs obedience? Honestly, I used to be one who thought that gentle parenting, and graceful discipline meant parents who do nothing to teach their kids and let them run rampant in the name of ''being graceful'' :bag

For example: My 3yo is the stubbornest stinker (said in love :heart:lol) ever! He's a crack up...but ornery as the day is long. He persists in spitting (raspberries) all.the.time. It's nasty, and he'll often do it intentionally all over something, like the window.
The punitive me would have spanked him and stuck him in the corner till he was properly repentant. Which never did work for him. He just gets more stubborn. He'll scream and holler and *say* he's sorry. To which I would say, "Are you going to stop spitting?" To which he would reply, "no. Humph" Gotta give him credit for honesty... and the cycle would continue...
However, the recovering and desiring graceful/peaceful parent in me is beginning to see that he's either bored, or in need of my attention.
The GBD alternative? How would I show him that spitting is not an ok way to get my attention or deal with boredom, without neglecting what he obviously needs? How do I give him what he needs without reenforcing that spitting and doing something wrong is the way to get it?

Is that an ok example?

**I'm very much a recovering punitive parent. I love my kids, but was raised with a spank/punish mentality. I'll be very honest. It was hard to post that example and be so open. It feels like I'm starting over as a parent. I wasted a lot of years punishing my children instead of teaching them...
Uhh..that got long. Sorry. :foot:paranoid

charla
12-12-2010, 06:45 PM
blessedmamaofmany, thank you so much for being vunerable in sharing. :hug Most of us are there in one way or another, not sure how to approach a particular situation with GBD. Keep posting. It's really the way to learn. And we all learn from your experience, too, because we might face similar situations and wonder what to do.

Peridot
12-13-2010, 08:38 AM
blessedmomaofmany- you said,

In GBD, where does one draw the line of grace vs obedience?

and I went :idea :giggle

OK, here it is... ready? ...

there is no line. :no It doesn't have to be giving grace versus requiring obedience, it can be Using Grace to Teach Obedience. Grace In Obedience. :happytears

Because this is what God gives us. :happytears If you aren't familiar with the concept of 'prevenient Grace' try to find some material on John Wesley's explainations of it. God's Grace goes before us in everything....calling to us, 'come to me, be Holy, let me change your heart' :heart :happytears

That's why we focus on helping our kids to obey. So when I say, 'Minimus, come here' and he does NOT, I go to him and steer him to where I was saying, 'Minimus, Momma said Come here'. It is not defiance for him to not desire to obey me. I show him what obedience (or compliance in this case) means, by helping him do what I asked. And when I say 'Maximus please put your things away, its time to go', and get no response, I move towards him saying, "Maximus it is time to put your things away, do you need my help?", and be ready to help/coach/show him how to disengage from a task and put things away, and look forward to the next thing. Or at least be ok with the next thing, I cannot require him to enjoy it, and I will not ask him to pretend. :no

God has NEVER asked anything of me that he had not ALSO said, "Here, child, I will show you the way, and here are the tools." :heart:happytears And when I have failed in SPITE of his direction and help, I can depend on his help and grace again, and again, until I get it right. :amen

yes, God often requires that I experience the consequences of my failure, He often sheilds me from them, too. :heart SOmetimes the consequences are just too great. He sheilds us entirely from the greatest consequence of all, Spiritual death (separation from His Presence) until we have demanded our own way so vehemently that there is nothing else.

For me, it helps to remember that true obedience to God comes from my desire to be like Christ, and from my growth in him till my desire becomes much more like his. It needs to be the same for my kids. It took me a while to discover when Maximus was obeying, and when he was merely compliant. One day, He was done with his lunch, and he set his empty plate down beside him (we were on the couch)and stood up. He paused, looked at me, looked at the plate, and said, "Mommy, I think I will put my plate in the sink :) ". And he did precisely that. :heart I went :idea because that was the first moment I saw what the difference was. He put hi splate in the sink because he knew that's where it went, and he wanted to do what I wanted done. THAT is obedience. It's an act of love. :happytears

argh...this got long... hope it makes sense. :)

katiekind
12-13-2010, 08:43 AM
there is no line.Beautiful post, Peridot! That's right---it's not grace versus obedience at all. My young children needed to obey. If they couldn't obey on their own, I helped them obey.

blessedmomofmany--that was a good example. Realizing the REASON behind the behavior is a fantastic way to address the behavior. In compassion, we can remember what it feels like to be so bored that we start doing {whatever} just to have something to do, or how it feels to be needing help/attention from a very distracted or busy person upon whose radar screen we don't seem to be even a blip.

Instead of thinking, "if I pay attention to him, I'll reward him for being ornery" perhaps you can head the behavior off at the pass by noticing he is at loose ends and needs a little help getting involved in an activity. It's tough when you're so busy with so many things, but that family dynamic is not really his fault. It is something he'll need to grow into finding ways to deal with in a positive manner, but at various ages and stages, you know, kids have a harder or easier time fitting into the dynamics of their particular family. When we notice this, and frame it in a non-adversarial way, we can help them through it.

We had a little girl in the church nursery who was the third out of 4 siblings. Her older two siblings were a boy and a girl, both very dynamic, very verbal children. This little girl, 2 at the time, was very, very quiet, but she had a way of getting noticed.

In the busy church nursery, somehow our eyes were always on the other children--the ones who tugged on your hand, interacted with the puppets we used and the bubbles we blew, etc. This little girl would be operating on the edge of the room, doing her own thing...and suddenly near her, some kind of mayhem would suddenly occur.

After the birth of a new baby in her family, this tended to take the form of suddenly pushing down the smaller toddlers, which of course was unacceptable. We had to act.

We talked to her momma, who was my friend, and she was more or less at wit's end. It was going on at home, too. What we decided to do for the nursery situation was to bring in a young teen to be the little girl's shadow and companion.

It was a win/win. The extra set of eyes on the little girl prevented problems with the other children, PLUS it went straight to the real issue, which was that the little girl needed more personal attention from her caregivers. Being a quiet, action-oriented person, she had developed a solution of "doing" something that was a sure-fire attention-getter, instead of asking for attention in a more direct and socially acceptable way.

At home, her mother -- who knew that she was attending to the squeaky wheels of daily family life and letting the quiet member of the family slide--also worked on directing more attention to the little girl BEFORE she did something wrong. She also gave her little incentives for waiting patiently or for telling her mother directly "I need help with this". Her mom told me sheepishly, "I'm bribing her with m&m's". But between that and being intentional about providing more focused attention, it seemed to help improve things.

Your thinking about the challenges he presents might also be helped if you can identify him in a positive way instead of a negative one. Instead of identifying him as a stubborn stinker, you could think of him as having persistence. ;) I think negative labels can color our attitude and reactions towards our children, pulling us toward more punitive reactions than we would otherwise choose.

In older children and adults we often view stubborness in much more positive terms: "Able to overcome obstacles". "Resistant to peer pressure." "Stands firm on his principles." "Has stick-to-it-iveness". "Won't leave til the job's done."

It's a quality that will serve your child very well as he grows into it. :hug

charla
12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Peridot - your post - :happytears :amen:praise

:ty4 - please consider putting that on your blog.

Maggirayne
12-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Ephesians 6 talks about parents not provoking their children. I remembering feeling very provoked and judged and condemned as a child and realizing I did not know how to act better or differently. My mom would tell my brother and I go resolve our fights, and I remember saying, "I don't know how! Show me!" He wouldn't give in at.all, and I was always giving in to keep the peace, and I really desperately needed and wanted scripting from my mom.

And then where Jesus blesses the children and says if anyone harms one of these, it would be better if a millstone were hung around his neck. . . personally, I think there will be a lot of people wishing for millstones. :shifty

I know when I said to one IRL friend Jesus never spoke about spanking, her response was that Jesus never talked about homosexuality either. :rolleyes

Hermana Linda
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Peridot - your post - :happytears :amen:praise

:ty4 - please consider putting that on your blog.

I was thinking the same thing. :yes

You said it was getting too long. :no Go ahead and flesh it out or complete it or whatever it needs. What you ended up posting was a rough draft. :tu

BarefootBetsy
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
P - that should totally be a blog post! Loved it!!! :heart

Yep, exactly. Why would how we are supposed to behave towards other adults, not apply to our own children? Even more so, I would think, because we're supposed to be showing them how to live too. Now I just need to sit down and finish it up...

Peridot
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
all right you guys! no need for arm twisting! :lol :O :ty3 and I will put it up as soon as we post Maggirayne's. :shifty :giggle

Betsy- waiting with bated breath! ;):hug

blessedmamaofmany
12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
wonderful answers! THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Peridot
12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
:hug

blessedmamaofmany
12-14-2010, 08:20 AM
I think that's the biggest difference and hardest part to unlearn regarding PP vs GBD. In PP there is a line. A very clear line. It's hard to unlearn.

Peridot
12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
It is hard to unlearn. :hug2

Actually, Punitive parenting requires a parent to create artificial lines around which they and their children must dance.

It CREATES conflicts where none need exist.

Hermana Linda
12-15-2010, 03:44 PM
It is hard to unlearn. :hug2

Actually, Punitive parenting requires a parent to create artificial lines around which they and their children must dance.

It CREATES conflicts where none need exist.
This is very true. For example, my dh gets very upset when the boys sleep all morning. As noon approaches he gets antsy and he starts making comments like, "This is not right," and "this is too much." Why is this such a big deal to him? Could it be because he was dragged out of bed by the ear if he slept too late? :(

Peridot
12-16-2010, 07:37 AM
This is very true. For example, my dh gets very upset when the boys sleep all morning. As noon approaches he gets antsy and he starts making comments like, "This is not right," and "this is too much." Why is this such a big deal to him? Could it be because he was dragged out of bed by the ear if he slept too late? :(

precisely.

And when my big feelings flare up, it ia almsot always because my boys are 'getting away with something' that I was never aloud to 'get away with'.

KnittingHappy
12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Such great ideas! I'm really looking forward to reading some new posts. I think defiance is exactly what I was getting at when I was trying to come up with ideas.

In GBD, where does one draw the line of grace vs obedience? Honestly, I used to be one who thought that gentle parenting, and graceful discipline meant parents who do nothing to teach their kids and let them run rampant in the name of ''being graceful'' :bag

For example: My 3yo is the stubbornest stinker (said in love :heart:lol) ever! He's a crack up...but ornery as the day is long. He persists in spitting (raspberries) all.the.time. It's nasty, and he'll often do it intentionally all over something, like the window.
The punitive me would have spanked him and stuck him in the corner till he was properly repentant. Which never did work for him. He just gets more stubborn. He'll scream and holler and *say* he's sorry. To which I would say, "Are you going to stop spitting?" To which he would reply, "no. Humph" Gotta give him credit for honesty... and the cycle would continue...
However, the recovering and desiring graceful/peaceful parent in me is beginning to see that he's either bored, or in need of my attention.
The GBD alternative? How would I show him that spitting is not an ok way to get my attention or deal with boredom, without neglecting what he obviously needs? How do I give him what he needs without reenforcing that spitting and doing something wrong is the way to get it?

Is that an ok example?

**I'm very much a recovering punitive parent. I love my kids, but was raised with a spank/punish mentality. I'll be very honest. It was hard to post that example and be so open. It feels like I'm starting over as a parent. I wasted a lot of years punishing my children instead of teaching them...
Uhh..that got long. Sorry. :foot:paranoid

I think some examples would be great.

Typical age-appropriate behavior.
How it is viewed and handled by a punitive parent.
How it is viewed and handled by a GBD parent.

I'm going to spend some time today working on mine. I'm taking it from a letter form to a more bloggy form.

Hermana Linda
12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I think some examples would be great.

Typical age-appropriate behavior.
How it is viewed and handled by a punitive parent.
How it is viewed and handled by a GBD parent.

I'm going to spend some time today working on mine. I'm taking it from a letter form to a more bloggy form.

Excellent idea. :tu

Wait. You have a blog? Why didn't I know that. :doh

Peridot
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
she's writing one for me.

:grin

KnittingHappy
12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Excellent idea. :tu

Wait. You have a blog? Why didn't I know that. :doh

she's writing one for me.

:grin

Yep! I don't have enough to say on my own.

Hermana Linda
12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
:jump

Maggirayne
12-16-2010, 09:13 PM
precisely.

And when my big feelings flare up, it ia almsot always because my boys are 'getting away with something' that I was never aloud to 'get away with'.
:jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop
My mom always used to say "My daddy would whip me for (whatever we were doing)," a few times it was chewing my fingernails--she never asked why I did.

I look forward to reading that post! :jump

Maggirayne
12-16-2010, 11:44 PM
:whistle
http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/portrait-of-a-strong-willed-child-2/

KnittingHappy
12-17-2010, 05:31 AM
:whistle
http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/portrait-of-a-strong-willed-child-2/

Awesome post!!!!! Thank you for sharing.

Maggirayne
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you, Pam! :o I'm excited to write and honoured that Peridot asked me to contribute.

Peridot
12-17-2010, 05:06 PM
looks like we'll have a few good ones following close ion the heels of M's!

Yay!!!

Llee
12-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm late in the game, i know, I know. :) But just wanted to say that posts on defiance are great for me to share with my mom friends. There's such a culture of oppositionality that also makes it hard for dh in the classroom. He's trying to foster a sense of family/unity with kids whose parents are fairly punitive. It's the toughest road he's ever had to hoe.

KnittingHappy
12-18-2010, 04:52 AM
I'm going to be obsessively checking it to read more!!!! I want to see what else you've come up with. I'm so enjoying all the different voices united in a common theme: relationship with our children!

Peridot
12-18-2010, 07:38 AM
I am so excited!!! :cool

Maggirayne
12-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I've got some ideas percolating. :cup :giggle

As I sit here drinking my coffee.

Hermana Linda
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm going to be obsessively checking it to read more!!!! I want to see what else you've come up with. I'm so enjoying all the different voices united in a common theme: relationship with our children!

Just subscribe. :shrug3

KnittingHappy
12-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Just subscribe. :shrug3

tell me about this, please!!! Will it give me a notice when there is something new? What does subscribing do for me?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

:doh Went and looked and I found where I can put my email address. Though, I must ask "What is the difference between obsessively checking DtD and my email?" Either way, I'm obsessively checking one or the other. I'm just weird that way. :giggle

Hermana Linda
12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
tell me about this, please!!! Will it give me a notice when there is something new? What does subscribing do for me?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

:doh Went and looked and I found where I can put my email address. Though, I must ask "What is the difference between obsessively checking DtD and my email?" Either way, I'm obsessively checking one or the other. I'm just weird that way. :giggle
I use the RSS feed for all my subscriptions and I set them to show up in my Google Reader. My Google Reader is on my iGoogle Home Page and I check my Google Alerts there as well as all the blogs I follow. :yes

btw, Google Alerts is my secret for finding out who is discussing topics about which I might want to link in my blog. ;)

Peridot
12-19-2010, 06:44 PM

I want to thank yOu again for this , Hermana Linda. :kiss

I was reminded of it when my DH was getting really irritable with Maximus.... riding him terribly... I asked him what he was angry about.

Anyway, I don't remember iexactly what I said, but when I poijnted tis out, he was able to take a half step back from the situation and rearrange his thoughts a bit.

(you all can pray for him... he's having a rough day- DH I mean- and Max by extension. :( )

Hermana Linda
12-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm so glad to help. It's an interesting dynamic of which to be aware.

Tasmanian Saint
12-20-2010, 06:59 PM

If I'm not too late ...:)

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Phil 4:5
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone Rom 12:18 (as the person in the power position in this relationship, and the person who theoretically has more self control :shifty it depends on me A LOT. And it depends on me to model this to my kids so that it will be their goal as they grow older and have more responsibility in the family dynamic. I expect them to take this responsibility far too much atm :bag)
Blessed are the peace makers for they will be called sons of God - Because that's what God's been doing since the Fall ;)
Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness James 3:18 - this has become my parenting verse - raising a harvest of righteousness (with God's help) is my parenting goal:heart Actually, make that 'assisting God to raise a harvest of righteusness' :giggle

And how God deals with us - he sends 'the Helper', who 'works in us both to will and to do according to his good pleasure' :amen

BarefootBetsy
12-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank you :heart and not too late at all... I went to a birth, then was gone most of the weekend so not much more writing got done. It's getting there though! Slowly but surely and I appreciate the verses very much :yes

Tasmanian Saint
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
oh, and he doesn't tempt us beyond what we can bear but makes a way of escape :heart

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

If you haven't go it, here's the thread from a while back about scriptures that support GBD: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=354162 :)

KnittingHappy
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Check it out, check it out, check it ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a tid bit excited!

blessedmamaofmany
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
:rockon:clap:clap

So my new favorite blog!

KnittingHappy
12-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Just put a new one up!

Peridot
12-30-2010, 02:44 PM
:clap It's good too!!!!

Ohhh this is fun! :cool

KnittingHappy
12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
:clap It's good too!!!!

Ohhh this is fun! :cool

Why, thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Hermana Linda
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I like it too. So as not to have it wait too long in line, I am posting it with another post I have waiting in the wings which is also about Control. :tu

dulce de leche
12-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Excellent! Sharing it on my FB page. :)

fourbygrace
01-03-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm so excited to find a couple of new blogs to follow here! So far, I just want to keep reading instead of getting some much needed sleep.

Thanks, ladies, for putting so much work into your blogs!

Amahoro
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I really like finding all these blogs I can read to try and get a firmer understanding of GBP.

I guess issues I like to see discussed are:

* the importance of close parenting in the early years (we see constantly how holding babies 'at arms length' is detrimental to their development).

* How raising someone in a 'don't ask questions' way sets them up for issues as an adult (no boundaries, yes people, etc).

That's a couple I can think of, off the top of my head!

Peridot
01-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Thank you! I will file them in my ideas document! :heart

BeachMama
01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Subbing your blog! Thanks!

My mom was a Dobson fan. I admit she didn't take things very far. We got the occasional spanking when she ran out of ideas. I honestly feel bad for her as she was a single mom with a very rambuncious kid (aka me) and my little brother. Still I remembered the feelings of humilation and "ick" that came along with being spanked. When I had my first, I thought I never wanted to make him feel like that.

(I did have a brief despiration-driven period where I tried corporal punishment, but that was quickly abandoned as both my DH and I felt a whole lotta "ick" Thank you, Holy Spirit!)

dulce de leche
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Love, love LOVE the most recent post on Believer's Behavior. That is one of the most powerful posts on Christian parenting I have ever read. Thank you so, so much for sharing.

BarefootBetsy
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Love, love LOVE the most recent post on Believer's Behavior. That is one of the most powerful posts on Christian parenting I have ever read. Thank you so, so much for sharing.

Thank you so much for the feedback :heart It was a fun one to write! :yes

Hermana Linda
01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I can hardly wait to link to it. :tu I guess that will be Saturday. :think

BarefootBetsy
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Whenever you get around to it is just fine :yes I still need to get it put up on FB.

Peridot
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
You did amazing! :yes

Maggirayne
01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I love love love Lucy's new post! I'm just getting caught up.

KnittingHappy
01-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Didn't have a chance to read it last night. I am getting Landon on the bus, driving DH to work (his car has a major boo-boo), stopping at Wal-Mart, then coming home, making a cup of tea, and sitting down to read your post in absolute peace and quiet. I can't wait.

KnittingHappy
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, oh Wow, oh Wow!!!! Betsy, you hit that one out of the ballpark. (hee hee, I'm so witty.) I pray that your post plants seeds in the minds of those who believe spanking is Biblical and that they have to do it.

I just don't see how anyone could ignore what you've so clearly laid out.

I'm doing a little happy dance over here to see spanking in light of the entire Bible, not just a few proof-texted verses in Proverbs.

:rockon

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

:woohoo

New topic!!!!! I'm going to do a post devoted to each of my children, detailing the challenges that I'm having right now and how I'm dealing with it. I'm hoping that it will help someone else but mostly, that it will get my brain going for new things to do. There are some big challenges in my house.

Hormones!!!! :spinsaroundandfaints

Hermana Linda
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
New topic!!!!! I'm going to do a post devoted to each of my children, detailing the challenges that I'm having right now and how I'm dealing with it. I'm hoping that it will help someone else but mostly, that it will get my brain going for new things to do.

:tu

Peridot
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Tofurkey is ready to post....

but I think I'm gonna let Betsy's sit for a few more days. It deserves the spotlight, and I want as many ppl to see it as possible. :think

BarefootBetsy
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
98 people have posted the link on FB already :spinsaroundandfaints

Hermana Linda
01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Who is Tofurkey? :scratch

KnittingHappy
01-05-2011, 04:27 AM
98 people have posted the link on FB already :spinsaroundandfaints

How do you know that????

Peridot
01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Who is Tofurkey? :scratch

Tofurkey is a food. :giggle

http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproducts/holiday_products.html scroll down a bit.

BarefootBetsy
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
How do you know that????

Well, last night if I typed in "part 3" in the search box on FB it showed that you and 97 other people had posted it! Which makes 98 :yes

But now it's up to 104 :rockon

Hermana Linda
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Tofurkey is a food. :giggle

http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproducts/holiday_products.html scroll down a bit.

I know that. :lol But you said:
Tofurkey is ready to post....

but I think I'm gonna let Betsy's sit for a few more days. It deserves the spotlight, and I want as many ppl to see it as possible. :think

:shrug3

Peridot
01-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Scriptural Tofurkey.

It's about how some people (coughbillgothardcough) take scriptures out of context, forget what they meant in context (or never bother to find out) and then mold it into something entierely different.

Looks a bit like Turkey... Smells a bit like Turkey...but it's NOT Turkey, folks. :no

KnittingHappy
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Scriptural Tofurkey.

It's about how some people (coughbillgothardcough) take scriptures out of context, forget what they meant in context (or never bother to find out) and then mold it into something entierely different.

Looks a bit like Turkey... Smells a bit like Turkey...but it's NOT Turkey, folks. :no

I'm totally excited to read this!!!

dulce de leche
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm totally excited to read this!!!
Me, too! :rockon

charla
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Me, too. :yes

charla
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Tofurkey article is up. :woohoo Great article.

Tasmanian Saint
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I have joined the fray!
I've just put up the first in a series of mythbusters http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/myth-busting-1-a-rod-for-your-own-back/

Any suggestions for other myths we could bust?

Peridot
01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Tofurkey article is up. :woohoo Great article.

Oh good! All I heard was crickets chirping..... :shifty

I have joined the fray!
I've just put up the first in a series of mythbusters http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/myth-busting-1-a-rod-for-your-own-back/

Any suggestions for other myths we could bust?

:cheer

I am so excited!!! :heart

Atarah
01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
nice post, TS!

BarefootBetsy
01-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I really enjoyed it!

I'll put it up on FB either tomorrow or Tuesday - I don't think many as people would see it on a Sunday evening right before a holiday :shifty I haven't decided if it'd be better to wait after the holiday or not though...

MaybeGracie
01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I very much enjoyed today's post. :heart

Maggirayne
01-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Good one!

Hermana Linda
01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh good! All I heard was crickets chirping..... :shifty

I will be linking to it one of these days. :tu