PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone live in an apartment (shared laundry space)?

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I have been looking at the numbers, sposies are simply going to crush us financially. Do any of you who do cloth live in an apartment and put quarters in shared washers/dryers?

Is there any way at all over this hurdle that I haven't yet thought of? I don't know that I'm quite desperate enough to wash everything by hand and there is no clothesline except if I put up some drying racks on my balcony. But wow, that would be desperate. And if food prices keep going up, I will be just that..sposies are simply not going to be affordable.

Help?

ETA: I decided not to start a new thread, but basically I'm looking for the cheapest way possible to diaper the baby, even if that means washing them by hand and putting them on racks like my grandmothers did.

Mama Rophe
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
We used cloth the whole time we lived in an appt with a shared washer/dryer. :shrug3 You do what you have to do. We never had a problem with it.

LoveIsGentle
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
We do...or did. Lately, we've been going weekly to the town our families live in, and my parents let us use their washer/dryer since we're there anyway. Before that, we used the coin-op laundry. It's a pain, but it can be done. It adds up quickly, though.

We had been looking at getting one of those portable washers and doing them in there, but I couldn't figure out where we could store it, so it never happened. Maybe it's something worth considering?

Elora
11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Is it really cheaper to wash cloth in a machine that takes quarters?

From what I understand, cost savings is debatable when using your own electric and water. I am not sure what cost savings would be with pay machines.

What is the cost per load, Beth? Do you already have the dipes? If not, what are you planning to use?

mamacat
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
You know drying racks are not all that bad.My dil has no dryer and dries ALL of their laundry this way.She found 2 really tall ones that are about as tall as she is for about 12.00 each at Walmart. Are there dryers in the shared space or just washers? If you are concerned about $ you could always put the dipes through one round of drying to soften and partially dry then put on the racks.I had no dryer for awhile and was line hanging wash for a NB and 4 adults and 2 older kids and I did things like getting tons of hangers and putting all shirts on hangers to dry on shower curtain rod or door ways or wherever.That would save space on racks for dipes and other clothing and you could use dryers for sheets and towels and jeans etc.

Mama Rophe
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I wanted to add that the cost was something we were willing to take because our one child at the time was allergic to all disposables. If it's mainly cost you are looking at, I'd see how many loads you would have to do and how much that would cost you.

Atarah
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
have you priced sposies on amazon with subscribe and save plus "amazon moms"?

this just an example, but it's $27/ case delivered
http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Diapers-22-37-Economy-Packaging/dp/B000VHU3V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290020760&sr=8-1

I get seventh gen for 'back up' to my cloth
http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Chlorine-Free-Diapers/dp/B0014XVXVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1290020951&sr=1-1

I washed cloth for ds in shared facilities - I'd was a load of regular laundry first to get other's 'residue' out, and then washed diapers in the same machine. Though I'm not sure it was cheaper than sposies. I never did all the math. I used mostly pre-folds and covers- about as low $ as you can go with cloth.

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Is it really cheaper to wash cloth in a machine that takes quarters?

From what I understand, cost savings is debatable when using your own electric and water. I am not sure what cost savings would be with pay machines.

What is the cost per load, Beth? Do you already have the dipes? If not, what are you planning to use?

It's $1 per load and $1 for the dryer as well. In the summer, I really can do the drying racks on my balcony as long as it's not raining. Terribly inconvenient, but I'll do what I have to do. First, I have to buy drying racks though.
No, I don't own cloth diapers. I was reading in Mothering that there is a economy cloth diaper pack that you can get as a start for around $50.
I was also thinking just those thick cloth diapers at BabiesRUs that my mom used for me and my brother (with diaper pins), but no one actually uses them that way anymore (maybe that would be cheaper?). I have a little bit of time to decide, my mom is buying a case of sposies a month until the baby is born (that's about 5 cases).
I think there is the cost of things like tree oil soap though and few other things that I need to keep them clean. I read about it a lot before Flutterbye was born and we decided not to do it because of the coin-operated washer/dryer situation. But that math was based on me buying dipes at approx. $12 a pop. Now that I've been on GCM for awhile, I know there are diaper swaps, yardsales and probably a couple of other resources I'm forgetting.

I just wanted to make sure that it is okay to put soiled (but treated) cloth diapers in a shared washer/dryer before I start to take the steps to make this work. Petroleum is in sposies. Cost of oil is going up. That means we're going to see an increase in sposies and I already can't afford them at all. Gotta get a plan together. :)
ETA: Cost of water is included in the rent and the washer/dryer is not in our actual apartment, so I'm assuming I won't have to pay for that electric.

Calee
11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
We lived in an apartment when both our kids were born (two different apartments). The first had a rule about washing diapers in the community washers-you might want to check that out to make sure.

I agree with the PP about really looking at the numbers again, if it turns out you can't do cloth. I was SURE that disposables would break us when we were faced with having to use them. But, with the start up costs of the cloth, the INSANE amount of money they charged to do the laundry, and the other specialty items I needed, it did not end up to be a savings for US over buying generic disposables.

Right now I have two in diapers and we spend $20/month.

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
We lived in an apartment when both our kids were born (two different apartments). The first had a rule about washing diapers in the community washers-you might want to check that out to make sure.

I agree with the PP about really looking at the numbers again, if it turns out you can't do cloth. I was SURE that disposables would break us when we were faced with having to use them. But, with the start up costs of the cloth, the INSANE amount of money they charged to do the laundry, and the other specialty items I needed, it did not end up to be a savings for US over buying generic disposables.

Right now I have two in diapers and we spend $20/month.

How on earth do you spend only $20 a month? :listen

Basically, I need the cheapest possible way to diaper the baby whatever that entails, even if it means washing them by hand. I'm going to edit my OP:)

Jessica
11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I've never done it, but I think it's possible. I hang dry my dipes most of the time anyway just to avoid using the dryer, and even though it's inconvenient, you get used to the routine.

Have you looked into a diaper service in your area? I looked briefly at one in ours and they were actually pretty affordable. :shrug3 Then you could just send the dirty ones away, and you wouldn't need to buy diapers at all.

Calliope
11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I did it for the first 2 years of Reed's life. We didn't have pay machines, but the cost was spread around in other ways.

Honestly, if you do prefolds and covers, even with pay machines, it really is going to be hard to beat the savings - especially if get the prefolds through a co-op and buy the covers used like I did.

I will mentioned that I tried not the advertise that I was washing dipes in the communal laundry machine and usually did a load of my own regular laundry directly after. I think some caught on after a while, but no one ever complained.

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
I did it for the first 2 years of Reed's life. We didn't have pay machines, but the cost was spread around in other ways.

Honestly, if you do prefolds and covers, even with pay machines, it really is going to be hard to beat the savings - especially if get the prefolds through a co-op and buy the covers used like I did.

I will mentioned that I tried not the advertise that I was washing dipes in the communal laundry machine and usually did a load of my own regular laundry directly after. I think some caught on after a while, but no one ever complained.

Grace, I found 12 prefolds and 3 covers by econobum online for $60. Is that a good deal? I ask because you mentioned prefolds. Do I just google "cloth diaper coop" to find one in my local area? Or is your coop online?

I can't imagine going to the apartment manager and asking her if I can wash dipes in the communal washer. She already totally looks down on me for being a sahm and waiting for my husband on the steps in my bare feet.:no I'm sure her reaction to my question about dipes would be priceless (iow, I have no intention of telling anyone) :shifty

Calee
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah-I didn't ask-it was in our lease agreement-I guess someone else had gone before me :giggle If there is no rule you know of-I wouldn't ask either!

Atarah
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
you can get "second quality" pre-folds here:

http://www.little-lions.com/page50.html

infant 4X8X4 work well with a snappi/cover for small, and w/out a snappi for medium

they also sell econobum one size wraps for $9.95 for one cover+one diaper

me
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Here's a thought if you want to try things out before commiting with your pocket book. Make some prefolds out of cotton t-shirts and/or baby blankets. Super easy and there are tons of links here. Then knit or make some wool covers. Or make your own pul covers, also tons of links here. Try that out for a bit and see if it is really cost effective. WHen I did this, I had my own washer/dryer. It was cost effective because I could rinse off the dipe and throw it in the wash to wait for a full load to run.
Then we moved and were staying in corporate housing in an extended stay hotel. I had a mom here offer to make me aio's at the unbelievable price of about $7( each if i remember right). Since we werent going to be in a house i wanted to be able to not have things washed in the tub and drying all around the house. I thought i would just put them in a bag and wash them donwstairs on wash day. The dryers werent that good so it ended up costing me double dryer times to get them dry, or i would have to hang them around the hotel room to dry. plus storing them in the bag for wash day just didnt work as well as when i could put them in the washing maching. the bag smelled rank and it took longer washing to get the odor out or i would have to buy extras for the laundry other than just the soap so they would get clean.
I started pre-washing (i had already been pre-rinsing), then washing them with the rest of the clothes, then just drying them once and hanging them to finish drying.
It was a pain.
Here's another option you could do that I have done to save money. I bought a package of good diapers(sposies) plus prefolds. When I first put the diaper on I lay a prefold inside (you can start with newborn size prefolds, even Target/Walmart have these very inexpensive). Then when it's time to change the diaper you change out the prefold but keep using the sposie, if you get good diapers. Then when the diaper starts to stretch use the diaper as is without a prefold. If the baby is newborn you can actually use one diaper a day, just changing prefolds, unless the prefold leaks then you might have to use two. But you will find what fold works and not have any more leaks. Plus you can buy a diaper size up if they happen to be the ones on sale (sometimes there is only one certaian size on sale). The diaper is only used as a cover so it will work so long as the waist size works. While you are doing this you can save up for a wool cover and keep your eyes peeled for larger prefolds. I LOVE covered caboose wool diaper covers. They arent near as expensive as the wool ones everywhere else on line. Even her less than perfect covers work wonderfully! They just have a less then straight stitch in an area or something tiny like that. Then when you switch over to your two good wool covers and prefolds you are still only washing prefolds. And you dont have to worry about what anyone thinks about whats in your wash. Just always pre-rinse them and wash them along with your other clothes :D

eta:prefolds wash easier and dry faster

Calliope
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Little lions prefolds are good and cheap. I got mine first set of prefolds through an All Together Diaper co-op, but my co-op group doesn't do prefold co-ops anymore because they are HUGE and the leader ran out of room. Diaperswappers might still do them though.

I got my covers used on Diaperswappers - paying between 4 and 10 dollars each depending on the brand and condition.

I think if I were you, I'd see if any GCM moms have used stuff around to beat the Little Lions price. Otherwise, start out small like someone said - get a dozen infant prefold, 2-3 cheapo Proraps covers and see how you like it. (I have a stock pile of snappis and will send you one.)

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm getting some very good ideas. I will check the links about making diaper covers, because I don't know how to sew anything and it's a good place to start (something we will need).

I love the idea about prefolds and using the sposie as a cover for awhile.

Grace, I will look into diaperswappers:yes

I'm glad I have 5 more months to prepare.

abh5e8
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
have you heard of EC or the book Diaper Free Baby? if you combine that with cheap prefolds/covers, you won't end up washing as much...and if you can catch the poops, washing/drying the wet diapers is not a big deal at all.

i love little lions...or All together diaper company. i would actually go with flats...not much more work to use then prefolds (just fold and snapi or lay in covers) but MUCH quicker to hang dry. and will wash easier in the coin machines. they are also cheaper :)

here are a couple priced options...

little lions: infant prefolds $14/dozen, capri $17/dozen

clothdiaper.com: infant prefold seconds 11.96/dozen, flats $13.95/dozen'

kawaii one size covers: $4.50 each

i would get 6 covers ($27) and 3 dozen flats ($41.85) so ~ $80 (maybe a bit more with shipping) BUT...this shoudl last from newborn to potty learning AND they will be super easy to wash and dry. if you can save even $18/month now, you will have enough by the time baby is here. and in the long run, it would be cheaper then sposies, especially if you line dry everything. also, drying racks can be expensive...i'd go with some gasic clothes line rope. HTH!

Beth1231
11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Ive read up on EC as well and I would be motivated to catch the poop if I was using cloth.
The little lions sound like the way to go.

solatido
11-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I :heart Little Lions seconds. We started out with the crummy Gerber pfs that have poly in the middle and switched to LLs when DS was about 3 months old (maybe 4?). The premium size worked well then, but much younger and they would have been waaaay big. They still work now and he's 16 months.

Beth1231
02-17-2011, 06:42 AM
:bump

I need this on my subscription list again as I make a detailed list of what I'm going to be doing this summer :kiss

twentysixcats
02-22-2011, 02:23 PM
A friend of mine did cloth in an apartment. She hooked up a washer to their sink. (Here's a link (http://www.thenaturalmommy.com/2007/01/24/my-husband-loves-me-and-this-apartment-so-much/) that explains what she did.) I don't know if that's an option for you, but wanted to point out just in case. :-) You could also look into flat diapers - they are much thinner and air-dry much faster than any other.

4MKfam
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
This book (http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Changes-3rd-Complete-Diapering/dp/1590770226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298416039&sr=8-1) (before I finally bought a copy, I found it at the library) has great instructions for doing diapers at a shared laundry/laundromat without being obvious about the fact you're doing diaper laundry. IIRC (it's been a while, but I've done cd's and used a laundromat), she suggests doing a rinse/prewash in the bathtub (or in a washtub in the bathtub) and drying them on racks in the meantime while you're waiting for laundry day, so as not to have the overwhelming ammonia smell of cd's that have been sitting in the hamper for a couple days. I found it worked quite well :shrug. I generally did a run to the laundromat once every 5-6 days or so.
If anyone catches that you're doing cd's in the shared washer, don't expect them to be terribly excited about it :shifty. ...Never mind that EVERYONE'S laundry in general has germs :rolleyes... But anyway :shifty... There are some apartments, I've since noticed, that specifically prohibit washing diapers in the coin laundry machines. Doing a pre-wash at home really helped keep the odor down, so when I loaded the dipes in to the washer, it wasn't obvious at all. Just another load of laundry :shrug. By doing the prewash at home, you're also saving $ doing a prewash in the coin washer (I usually did a short cold prewash followed by a long, hot wash when I had my own washer -the prewash in the tub replaced that).

Castle On A Cloud
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I guess the cheapest thing to do would be to get flats and handwash. :shrug3

lizzyd
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I didn't see anyone mention this, but generally when you machine wash diapers you put them through two cycles. Maybe some people don't do that - I always have since that's what the prefold instructions said to do!

TBH I don't know if you'll see a huge, huge savings, but that's coming from someone who (1) has bought prefolds and covers in multiple sizes and (2) has to pay for the utilities rather than per use on the machine. For me the savings comes with a subsequent child. I second looking into flats, I've never used them but they seem to be the most economical. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm#flat