PDA

View Full Version : CD wash routine for HE washer?

RefrigeratorArt
10-29-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm dipping my toes into the CD world, and I would LOVE some advice about what adjustments I need to make in washing CDs with an HE washing machine. Is there a detergent/amount you think does better with an HE machine (I'm rather afraid of messing up the machine or the dipes!)? What settings do you use to make sure enough water is used to get the dipes clean? Thanks so much!

RedPetals
10-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I do a cold pre wash, a hot wash with soap with an extra rinse, and then an extra wash cycle on gentle with no soap (it puts more water through the dipes to get all the soap out).

I use Country Save Powder or Planet Ultra Powder. Both work well! I actually use a little more than recommended, because I found it gets the dipes cleaner. So, more soap, and more water to rinse have been what works for me! Both of those detergents also do better if you dissolve them in hot water first.

HuggaBuggaMommy
10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I do a cold pre-wash, too, then a hot wash with a cold rinse. I use only a little Arm & Hammer "free and clear" with some Oxyclean and vinegar. Haven't had any problems.

Punkie
10-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I do almost exactly the same as Carla. I use country save or charlies soap. :)

Jessica
10-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Cold pre-wash, sanitary cycle (for my washer that's extra hot and longer than normal) with extra rinse, then one cold wash. I use Allen's Naturally.

bananacake
10-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Do you all have a cold pre-wash setting on your machine?

RedPetals
10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Do you all have a cold pre-wash setting on your machine?

yep!

ThreeKids
10-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I do pre-wash, heavy towel cycle, hot wash w/ extra water, extra rinse.

Cold water he Tide in the pre-wash cup
Purex he in the wash cup
Sometimes Vinegar in the fabric softener cup (gets added to final rinse)

Watch the door drain for anything getting caught in a drain hole. It only happened once, but I'm not over it yet. :shiver

Punkie
10-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't technically have a cold pre-wash, so I do a cold "rinse and spin" and then the hot wash with an extra rinse and then another wash cycle with an extra rinse.

RefrigeratorArt
10-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Thank you to each of you SO much! It's a top loader, if that makes a difference. How do you know how much detergent to use? Do the various types (I have yet to wash anything/get my hands on any cding detergent) tell you the amount to use if you have an HE machine?

Jessica
10-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I use Allen's Naturally liquid, and it has a different recommendation on the bottle for HE washers. :yes

RefrigeratorArt
10-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I use Allen's Naturally liquid, and it has a different recommendation on the bottle for HE washers. :yes

Thank you! All this has been so helpful and is helping me work up my nerve. :)

Niphredil
10-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't technically have a cold pre-wash, so I do a cold "rinse and spin" and then the hot wash with an extra rinse and then another wash cycle with an extra rinse.

This is exactly what I do. I use ECOS free and clear detergent, I don't measure but just pour in about a quarter sized amount.

bananacake
10-30-2010, 10:59 AM

I don't think I have any of these options, which is a big bummer. Laundry in the basement when you live on the 2nd floor is a pain!

passthemanna
11-01-2010, 10:19 AM

that's what i do...well now that ds is older & his pee is stinkier I do a cold speed wash 1st. i use a small amount of 7th generation & vinegar in the wash. I usually do a speed wash or quick rinse after the sanitize wash & extra rinse.

lalaithnil
11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a top loader HE machine. We do a cold/cold wash with no detergent, then a hot wash with a tablespoon of Rockin Green, with an extra rinse. About once a month I add 1/4 cup bleach to the cold wash, and do an extra rinse. Took us awhile, but this works great for us! Good luck!

AngelBee
11-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Taking notes...