PDA

View Full Version : how long did it take you to find the perfect CD??

starbyfar7
10-28-2010, 08:32 AM
i don't know about any other newbies to CD'ing but i'm absolutely overwhelmed! i've checked out the guide in the resources section, but even with that.. there are soooo many types and brands of CDs to choose from. how do I know what to get without sampling everything?
:banghead
thus far, the only thing i know is i think the all-in-one with inserts is going to be our best bet because it seems like it'll be the most manegable and "dummy proof" for my partner lol.

how many CDs brands/types did you go through before you found the perfect one? Any tips to make that process easier???

RedPetals
10-28-2010, 11:14 PM
You could do a diaper trial! There is a good one here:

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10

or here:
http://itsybitsybums.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloth-diaper-trial-packages.html

or here:
http://nickisdiapers.com/pages/15DayWash.php

I think it depends on your goals. If you want simplicity, buy all one thing and I would go with all pockets or All-In-Ones in a big brand name like Fuzzi Bunz or Bum Genius.

If you want cheap and indestructible, I would do prefolds & covers. (We love our Flip covers over here, with prefolds tri-folded in them).

If you want flexibility, try a few things! I like the Best Bottom hybrid diapers. They have a stay-dry insert or a hemp/organic cotton insert and I like being able to choose what I feel like using ATM.

In answer to your question, we have 4 types of diapers in the house and we use them all for different things! Some are good nap diapers, some are good out of the house diapers, some are fast to put on, some are easy for sitters, some absorb a lot and some are just cute!

jklmommy
10-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I second the diaper trail. :D I used the Jillian's Drawers one, and it definitely helped narrow down all of the options.

I also really like the Flip system and use the stay dry inserts, organic inserts, and prefolds in the covers.

Jen

raining_kisses
10-30-2010, 10:40 AM
i used the jillians drawers diaper trial. i love their customer service. :hug

passionatemom
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I also have to say that you may find different types work better at different ages. And you may not find the "right" thing for you right away. I used a certain detergent for a year before I realized it was a problem. Then I switched types of covers, not just brands, but PUL to wool. Now I'm thinking about switching back.

There may not be any one thing that will always be right for you. But as you keep at it, you will learn and change. And that's okay.

graceandmercy
11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
We went through a few as I had heavy wetters and they were allergic to a couple of the fabrics. Thankfully we had two local stores here that I could go in and touch and feel them and talk to someone in person. That helped me so much to see which ones I thought would work the best for me, then we started trying them out from there. It is very overwhelming I agree! :hunh

abh5e8
11-07-2010, 03:06 PM
different types and brands fit different kids at different times the BEST. or you just go for cheap-o and make do.

so keep looking if you want :) or love what you've got :) i've done and will prob continue to do both.

lalaithnil
11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
i used the jillians drawers diaper trial. i love their customer service. :hug

:yes

pastelsummer
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
my best combo i have founf is prefold and cover for day and pocket with prefold and microfiber at night or on a long trip took me 2 kids to find this out

sillybeans
12-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Haha...I STILL haven't found the perfect diaper, and we've been CDing for a year and a half! I just want to keep trying every new diaper that comes out, and I've liked almost all of them. And, my taste keeps changing.

My current favorite is Fishnoodles, but I'm also liking flats...two diapers that are practically on the opposite ends of the diapering spectrum, huh?

browneyeNYmomma
12-31-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree with a pp that different dipes can work better or worse at different ages. I started out with just pockets and loved those until dd was almost a year and became a super-soaker. Now the pockets simply do not work for us (they leak horribly) unless i have her wear a wool soaker over top, which will only happen at home. Our go-to diaper now is a pf with a Flip cover, and if I know i will not be changing her for awhile like when we're out then i just add a hemp liner with the pf. I wish looking back that i had just gone the route of pf's and covers. Although the pockets are the "easier" diaper, I decided to cd to save $ and I don't feel that it ended up being as cheap as I thought it would with having to buy different types of diapers for different ages. PF's are just so CHEAP...and they really aren't that much harder to put on, IMO!

Waterlogged
12-31-2010, 06:30 PM
i never found the perfect CD. :shifty it meant i could keep buying new fluff for my stash.

ShortyRobs
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I also have to say that you may find different types work better at different ages. And you may not find the "right" thing for you right away. I used a certain detergent for a year before I realized it was a problem. Then I switched types of covers, not just brands, but PUL to wool. Now I'm thinking about switching back.

There may not be any one thing that will always be right for you. But as you keep at it, you will learn and change. And that's okay.

Couldn't agree more! And different diapers work better for diferent children as well. I have 2 boys in cloth (14 mths and 3 yrs). My older son is special needs (thus why he is not potty trained), and I have different diapers that I enjoy better for each based on their body shape (one is tall and skinny while the other is short and stocky). I will say that I love my FLIPS by cotton babies on both boys though and they are very affordable and come with hybrid options for travel :)

Hang in there! I know it can be overwhelming!